Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#43087 - 04/12/01 03:52 PM Re: Things I wish I knew then...
boston Offline

Loc: Boston
First off, in my last message, I meant to write "awkward", and not "awarkward"... Though I doubt anyone really cares about a type-o that much... Anyway, Express, I attend Boston University, and will be going through them. They offer an advanced studies/internship program in Madrid. It looks to be chill, but still intensive enough to offer amazing opportunities. So that's where I'll be. Have a great time, and best of luck!
-Matt

#43088 - 04/12/01 04:38 PM Re: Things I wish I knew then...
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Boston- Donh wurry ahbowt tiepoes in yur postes. I think we're all VERY forgiving here... smile

My advice on travel (and travel study...) to Spain is two-fold: Pack your bags just how you want them, zip them up, unzip them and halve your load. The second item is budgetary: Whereas you halve your luggage, look at your budget and DOUBLE it. This hasn't failed me yet. ¡Qué lo pases a pipa allá!

#43089 - 04/12/01 08:24 PM Re: Things I wish I knew then...
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Boston,

Typos are not only acceptable, they are required! It will become more apparent as you continue training for Spain.

I'm referring to the mandatory "12 oz. arm curls," consisting of tipping a few beers here in the States, before you go, so you don't find yourself in a position where you have a tired arm when you reach the main event laugh

I'm not certain but I think that may be part of International Law.... rolleyes

Wolf

#43090 - 04/14/01 03:14 AM Re: Things I wish I knew then...
avrv Offline

HI all. Ill also be going to Madrid for next year. Ill give you some tips out of my experience. Socially, if you want to feel integrated, then avoid the places that cater to foreigners and tourists. For example, these is a huge disco in Madrid called Teatro Kapital. Its really amazing, and I recommend you go at least once if not more. But dont make it your usual destination on the weekends. First off, its too expensive. I have paid over $20 cover there before. 2nd it doesnt really have a 'spanish feel'. I dont know how to describe it, but id say most of the people there are north europeans and americans, the music is mainly english and american dance, etc. Still it is an intense place. Like some others said, find a spanish friend or someone who knows the city, and try to get integrated in their group of friends. They will take you out for our 'typical' weekend night, just make sure you can keep up! Also, many of you studying there may have classes in the ciudad universitaria, and this is a great place to meet people. there are many bars, pubs, cafes around where many spanish students mix with internationals. spend a lot of time there even if your program doesnt have its location there.

For men, if you plan on going out to clubs and discos, make sure you bring nice shoes and a nice outfit or two. On average they are quite a bit stricter in regards to dresscodes at spanish clubs than in the US. Women dont need to worry as much. Pack light, the saying goes, lay out what you think you will barely need, and take half. If you really need something, you can buy it, prices are favorable for people with American $$$. But if there is some toiletry you cannot do without, and you are in doubt as to whether you will find it there, I recommend bringing enough for your entire stay. BRING COMFORTABLE SHOES. You will walk more in this year than in all your years prior, combined. Also, depending on how much you want to try to blend in, bring clothes that arent too flashy, and leave behind the jeans and t-shirts. Also, no shorts, no matter how hot it is, unless you're on an excursion. Generally in southern european and latin countries, the only women who wear shorts are prostitutes (believe it or not this is why there is the opinion that American women are 'easy'). I recommend only 1 pair. If you dont smoke before you leave, dont start there. You will come back to the states hooked, and smokes cost about 3x as much here. No trip to Spain is complete with seeing a soccer game. You will really be impressed with the atmosphere. Also, if you can stand it, see a bullfight. Remember, the bull is killed, and if the matador is especially good they will cut off its ears and maybe its tail and give them to him; many people dont know this going in, and come out feeling sick. When you go travelling around spain, try to eat the dishes the local areas are famous for. for example, in Avila the lamb is a local treat, in Toledo you can have some of the best partridge (i really recommend this). As to safety, I recommend you keep all your important information in a very safe place. Personally when I am travelling I like to keep it all on me, believe it or not. This is because, while there is a lot of theft in Spain, there is very little violent crime, and if you wear a passport necklace under your shirt or even under your pants (you can do it) the only way people will get at it is by stripping you, in other words, they wont get it. Well I have a lot more I could say but it feels like i wrote a book already, so Ill stop here. I hope this helps.

#43091 - 04/15/01 01:11 PM Re: Things I wish I knew then...
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
avrv--what great tips! only now i'm thinking, if women don't wear jeans, t-shirts, or shorts over there, what the heck are they wearing? personally, i would feel incredibly uncomfortable wearing skirts all the time, especially because i have giant leg tattoos. oh well, the dreaded capris, here i come.

#43092 - 04/15/01 01:28 PM Re: Things I wish I knew then...
avrv Offline

Well sheba, all I can say is, by and large if you want to blend in, better to dress up than down. You're right, most women wont wear skirts but pants...capris and full length (and usually very tight ones). Im sure if you had the guts to get a huge tattoo on your leg you'll do fine in capris laugh

#43093 - 04/16/01 09:14 PM Re: Things I wish I knew then...
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I saw tons of student-age españolas wearing jeans. Granted, tighter than is typical in the States but Sheba I think you should plan to bring jeans with you. In the cold weather you don't want to be wearing skirts. Maybe just bring a few extra black or tan pants that can be dressed up, if you don't think too many jeans is a good idea.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments