Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42976 - 01/25/01 04:49 PM Studying in Salamanca
sdp Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hi!

I'm looking for some opinions on two language schools in Salamanca: Isla and Colegio de Espana. I've read some of the previous posts on these two schools, and am hoping that newcomers to the board or others who have knowledge of these schools will offers some opinions.

Not specific to these schools, I'm wondering what people think of living arrangements? I would guess that living with a family will offer the best chance to use my new Spanish skills, but I tend to be a more independent type, so maybe residence halls or an apt would be better? I'd love to hear some experiences in housing!

I'm also curious as to how long it takes to be reasonably fluent (generally speaking, of course). I'm planning to study for three months and am deciding between 4/5/6 hours a day of class. I'm starting at a beginning level, though not absolute beginner (am currently taking some community classes).

Thanks in advance for all opinions!

#42977 - 01/25/01 04:59 PM Re: Studying in Salamanca
Jaime Offline

My brother is living there right now and going to the university. If you want some info on school and living arrangements he would be happy to help. E-mail him at adamlflynn@hotmail.com Salamanca is beautiful and I'm sure you would have a great time. Good Luck.

#42978 - 01/25/01 05:22 PM Re: Studying in Salamanca
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Ahhh, Salamanca. Sdp, studying there is wonderful. Unfortunately I don't know anything about those two schools, but I could help you with the housing. If you stay with a family, they can only give you certain rules. For example, they can say you aren't allowed to call out from their phone or bring guests home. But they can't give you a curfew or tell you you can't receive phone calls. I lived with an absolutely incredible family in Salamanca for 6 months and had tons of freedom. The issue is more about courtesy, such as let them know if you won't be there for cena and remember to turn off lights when you leave the room. There is a residencia estudiantil in Salamanca but I don't think you can just say you want to live there, it is for some special purpose. Apartments are easy enough, especially if you are going at the beginning of a semester as people whose roommates who are done studying will need new ones. Apartments are very cheap there as well. But, being biased, i have to say try to live with a family! It is the best way to learn culture, food, slang words, how Spaniards relate to each other -- all sorts of things it would be difficult to learn staying with other foreigners.

Ask away on any other questions -- I could talk about Salamanca for years!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments