Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#42907 - 12/16/00 10:40 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hi Jules,
In case 2 replies from me show up, sorry, I hit enter. I studied a semester in Salamanca and it was wonderful, incredible, the best thing I have ever done. Couldn't possibly tell you "the whole experience," it's way too long, but I can tell you that you will hardly do any studying but lots of absorbing the culture. Try to get an intercambio, where you and a Spanish student get together to speak English and Spanish -- great for learning slang and finding out where the Spaniards hang out. Try all the food even if you think you won't like it. Live with a family, I think it is the best way to learn about the culture and real life experiences. The family I stayed with was incredible, not everyone has so much luck, but try to find a program that lets you switch if you are not happy with the family. yes they have rules: turn off lights when not in the room, wear slippers and don't go barefoot, you may not be allowed to go in the kitchen and eat whenever you want. But you get over that. Try to speak Spanish all the time, even with your American friends. I can't stop speaking spanish even though I have been back for 5 months now-- and in the midst of a deep depression due to Spain withdrawal. Definitely stay in touch with the people you meet there, they will be your lifeline when you get back and your friends from home estan harta of hearing about spain. Clearly I could write a novel on this topic so email me if you want more info!
que te lo pases bien--

#42908 - 12/17/00 12:35 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Jules21@hotmail.com Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Hey thanks for replying to me. So did you have a hard time adjusting as an american? I'm going there to study in the spring. What were you hardest adjustments? Was it the program that focused more on the spanish culture or just your choice? I would defenitly love to hear more!!

#42909 - 12/17/00 01:18 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Majesty318 Offline

Hi Jules,
Lucky for me I didn't have a hard time adjusting at all. I think you just have to try to go with a really open mind, read all the info your study abroad program sends. It is odd at first to always hear Spanish but I grew to love that. Other people had trouble getting used to the food, both the kind of food (pretty heavy) and the eating schedule -- it is like 7 hours between meals and not common for a host family to give you a snack. Also some pisos have a different kind of water heater where you have to ask for the hot water to be turned on, I didn't have that so I don't know the specifics...The classroom building in Salamanca didn't have heat so we wore coats during the winter in class... Some people from my program had issues with the Spaniards-- they tend to not like waiting in line and cut you, and also if you are bumped into on the street they don't apologize.

Before I went I didnt' realize how easy my program would be classes-wise, but since 2 of my classes were with other Americans it was no work at all, so we had way more time to sit in the Plaza Mayor and drink coffee and party till 8 am every day-- better than classes any time.

Coming back is when the true adjustment happens -- way more culture shock coming back to this awful place than going to Spain where is was so much fun!

Hope this helps --I'll answer any more questions you have.

#42910 - 12/18/00 03:03 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Some of the adjustments are smaller things like people cutting in line - which might get you smacked around here -; people standing super close to you when they talk so that you keep backing away, and they keep moving forward; hours of operation (siesta) and having to plan ahead for stuff instead of knowing that there is always a Quick Trip around the corner in case you need anything; the eating schedule. I thought I was going to die in the beginning when the family I stayed with would give me a hearty breakfast of Nescafe in milk (blech - I didn't mind it so much then, but I tried that when moved to L.A., because we didn't have a coffee maker. I almost thought I was pregnant, because I kept getting nausseous in the morning after drinking that stuff) and a magdalena. I would go home for lunch and the time would slowly tick by as I waited until 4 p.m. sometimes to eat. Oh how my belly suffered in the beginning. Then I learned to have a little mid-morning tapa at the school cafeteria.

I made up for it later though. whew! I really went nuts with the churros, pasteles, pan integral - with EVERYTHING.

I agree though. It was harder for me to adjust to life back in the States after a year in Spain. It felt really good in some ways, the calm, bucolic setting of U of I, but I just felt so sad about somethings. I honestly didn't have the heart to go out to bars and discos. It just seemed sooo lame compared to the rockin, dancing fun (not just sloppy drunk barfing American college student "fun") I had in Salamanca.

Majesty318 - did you have ice cream/gelatto at that place in the Plaza Mayor? I am assuming it is still there, and I remember it was soooo good. We got to the point where we had to have it almost every day.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 12-18-2000).]

#42911 - 12/18/00 10:26 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Majesty318 Offline

Nicole, we definitely enjoyed the helado at Cafe Novelty at least every day... avellana was my favorite. That was our favorite spot in the Plaza, we went every day after comida and watched the guy do flips through the Plaza and then come beg for money -- maybe he was doing that when you were there too How much do I miss that....

#42912 - 12/18/00 11:37 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
I really really really (well you all know how it is) want to go study in Spain. How hard are the classes? Im just wondering about free time. How much time are you normaly left with? do they have breaks like we do here in the US?

Thanks.

#42913 - 12/19/00 01:47 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Majesty318 Offline

I went for the spring semester, I would definitely recommend going for the whole year though. We had off for the Monday and Tuesday of Carnaval and 2 weeks over Semana Santa and Easter. The program I went with is rumored to be the easiest (no I didnt know that beforehand ) so I had no work at all. I took 2 classes with Americans and 2 with Spaniards. The Spaniards I think had work in those classes but my program watered everything down for us as far as turning in assignments and taking exams. We missed class all the time to travel, basically it was 90% free time and 10% for classes and schoolwork.

#42914 - 12/19/00 01:56 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Sounds like a great way to spend your college career. I had a feeling that those study abroad programs were more like a vacation. I wish I had done some of these when I was in school.

Leche

#42915 - 12/19/00 02:36 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Our was a little more stringent about attendance. You failed the class if you missed more than five days. It seemed like such a strain at the time, because I wanted to travel constantly. I missed up to five in a couple of classes esp those on Mondays or Fridays), alhtough at no other time in college did I even dream of missing that much class. Classes were easy for foreigners, and I still got the most mediocre grades of my college career.

It was almost worth it, although I may have some explaining to do when I apply to grad schools. I had a hell of a good time and got to see a lot...

#42916 - 12/19/00 03:21 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Nicole,

As usual your comments are so insightful! Maybe when I visit my son in L.A., I will have the opportunity to have dinner/lunch with you.

My daughter's term in Spain will soon be over and she was glad she chose to spend a semester in Madrid. One of her side trip was a bus tour of Italy and France for 14-days.

I will leave soon for Spain on Dec. 28 and will return Jan. 15, 2001. Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year! I hope you still have my e-mail address. Take care!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1584 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments