Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#42897 - 11/21/00 06:30 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Just "pulling your hair", laduque. I'm VERY sensitive too. <sniff!>

With head all Sesame Seeded and No Place To Go, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42898 - 11/21/00 09:38 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
elfroggy27 Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX, USA
I too, am experiencing the "let it go" mentality. Even friends who appreciate travel and other cultures do not understand my longing to get back to Spain. Now that I am home, there are a few things that I would have done differently, and I am just waiting until an opportunity comes along. First, if you are going to be living with a host family, spend time with them, eat meals with them, get to know what their opinions and experiences are. Ask your senora if she will let you help her prepare a meal. I traveled a lot while I was there (which I would also recommend) but I didn't make enough time for my "family." Also, speak as much Spanish as you can, even if it makes you uncomfortable at first. You will miss the opportunities when you get back! Branch out from your American friends in the program because it is very easy to spend all of your time speaking to them in English. But, as everyone has said, you will get so close to them, stay in touch. Also, walk as much as you can because it is the best way to see everything. Eat at local restaurants, talk to as many Spaniards as you can, and don't take it for granted! I think that so much of the learning actually takes place once you get home. I guess that is enough of my tangent. I think it is so interesting that so many people are so ignorant about Spain, but those of us who have experienced it are so passionate about it. Reading this board just takes me back!

#42899 - 11/22/00 05:49 AM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Oh boy, this "let it go" stuff is getting me choked up. I do try and shut up about Spain, basically I'm reduced to mumbling "it's great" whenever the topic arises. If I get started, it's "glassy stares" time! But not a day goes by without me spending time there in my heart

(BTW Nicole, you wrote "boyfiend" )

#42900 - 11/22/00 11:57 AM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Must have been a Freudian slip

#42901 - 11/23/00 12:37 AM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Jules21

Please let us know what you learn from studying abroad. I am so excited for you. My first trip to Spain will be a study abroad through NYU, so not only do I get to go to Spain, I get to go there with my fellow New Yorkers! What type of program are you looking at? How long will you be there?

#42902 - 11/23/00 11:03 AM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
I spent an amazing year in Sevilla in '92-93 that still shapes me to this day. I have sooo many stories. I lived with a family for about a month and I didn't like the family and they lived "en el quinto pino", so I moved out to an apartment in Triana (an option that wasn't promoted at all by the program (CIEE)) with Spanish roommates. It's possible to be there and learn very little Spanish if you hang out only with people from your nationality. As much as the program says "In Spanish only", when Americans are together they speak English. And chances are your classes are full of Americans too as mine were. We met Spainards through "intercambios", people who want to practice their English in exchange for talking to you in Spanish. I put up a sign for intercambios in the university, instructing people to write their numbers there, and it was filled the next day. The other day I talked to one of my original "intercambios", she's now in Memphis teaching Spanish. Northern Spain is probably better than Sevilla from a language standpoint. Noone had ever thought to mention to any of us about the Andalusian accent. At first, I couldn't understand a thing, and we thought it was us until we went to Paris during a puente and ran into lots of Spainards there from other parts of Spain that we could understand perfectly. I spent another year in Sevilla teaching English, and after that I spent a month at a language school in Nice, France. I was so scared I was going to lose my Spanish or get mixed up. But at this mostly European school, I met Spainards and hung out with them for an amazing four weeks and my time in Nice helped my Spanish more than my French. Sorry for rambling on . . .

#42903 - 11/24/00 04:02 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

I am so envious that you were able to stay another year teaching English. I always wanted too, but had heard so much about the economy being bad, that I didn't even try.

When I chose my program, I did so, because the Spanish in Salamanca is said to be so "pure", the best in Spain, etc. What that often means though, is a lack of diversity and other influences. It was a good choice for me as a beginner, but having been to Sevilla, I can imagine a year there would have been amazing. My university also had a program in Madrid and in San Sebastian. I wish I could have spent a year in each place.

Ahh, the longing. A lot of has to do with the counry itself, Spain. But, so much of it was that time in my life too. It is a year that I could never repeat. It was the last time I wasn't worried about the future, money, career, or about what other people thought. I just let go and had a wonderful time.

#42904 - 11/25/00 04:24 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Nicole,
The economy was bad when I taught English too, but I think the people with money wanted their kids to perfect their English so they could compete in the bad economy. I found enough students because I papered every bus stop and university bulletin board with my signs. And when I didn't get any calls, I printed another hundred signs and did it again.

Since I've been on this side of the Atlantic, I've tried not to get caught up in the worrying and materialism so prevalent over here. And mostly I've succeeded. Ande yo caliente y riase la gente

#42905 - 11/26/00 12:52 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Caminante-
I was on the CIEE program during the 90-91 school year. Ahhhh. I too was with a family, but I stayed with them for a full semester before I got an apartment with some friends. I was fortunate to have been set up with a great family. My case was unusual in that I had my own bedroom and bathroom and the family went to their casa del campo every weekend(I went w/ them on occasion too). I don't recall CIEE having a problem with my moving. I love the accento andalu and I think that if one can understand that, then one can understand virtually any Spanish(o Castellano, for those of you who were about to say so) in the world. What a wonderful year. By the way, I'm still in touch with my "family" and with many of the friends I made there, both Spanish and non Spanish.
Jen

#42906 - 11/27/00 07:21 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

I was not comfortable at all with my host family. I waited until the end of the semester and then moved in with three other female students. My experience, my Spanish and my finances dramatically improved. Although one of my roomates was from Surinam/Holland, we spoke only in Spanish.

It is really good advice though, to get to know the family, to not focus entirely on your American friends if you can. The bonds that you form with them are certainly part of the whole experience too, but getting out there and making friends with Spaniards is essential.

Ahh. I am getting all dreamy again... It was so fun...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1698 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments