Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#42887 - 11/19/00 09:02 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Jules21@hotmail.com Offline

Loc: Phoenix
Thanks again guys! So by studying in spain and having to adjust of course to the language, culture and people. What do you feel is has helped you personally accomplish? And have you guys made any life-long friends? Just wondering!

#42888 - 11/20/00 06:17 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I felt like I really grew up that year. I acted totally immature for a while- danced, drank and kissed a few boys, but at the end of it, walked away with a greater sense of my own identity and feeling like I had really accomplished something. I learned to communicate in Spanish, made some wonderful friends, and traveled around by myself. I was pretty shy until then, but being able to go around by myself, and meet people made me feel a lot more confident.

I became quite a bit more flexible. By the end of the year, I was able to stand in line without losing my sanity when it didn't move for five minutes; learned to stroll, instead of stride everywhere, and learned to creatively manage situations where nothing was convenient (there were tons of transport strikes when I was there).

I don't know about life long; it has only been a few years, so... Unfortunately, I am not in contact with most of the people I hung out with. Things change, I didn't have email at the time, and my parents have moved twice since then, so there is no way for people to find me if they wanted to. It sucks, because I would love to talk to them again. I have been trying to figure out how to do that, even though I know at least one them is married, and I don't have her new last name.

When you go, do a good job of keeping in touch afterwards, because the experience is so unique, no one else will be able to share with you except the people that were there too.

#42889 - 11/21/00 02:30 AM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I agree wholeheartedly with Nicole - especially the last few lines of her post. I couldn't have put it any better.
As for me, Spain was the greatest experience of my life and I don't know if it is possible to write it all down here because there is a lot to tell from four months. However speaking of friends, I met my best friend there. We were pen pals before that and we finally met and that strengthened our friendship. One of my friends met the guy she is going to marry there. Just be friendly and open and don't be afraid to use your Spanish.

#42890 - 11/21/00 12:51 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Nicole, you express your feelings very well! I know what you mean, every word! I studied in Madrid in "89 and it still has a profound effect on my life today. I came back a totally changed person, and still shapes who I am today.
As far as making friends, I still keep in touch with my roommate from Brazil, so meeting people from around the world, not just from Spain is an asset.
All you want to do is get back to Spain once you leave it!
When I returned, I surrounded myself with the Spanish community here in San Diego, and made friends with a great group of people...not to mention meeting my husband. I am so fortunate to have my Spanish community here, sharing stories, recipes, and copas, reliving memories or planning trips "home".
Anyway, just like all of you, not a day goes by that an object, memory, or smell doesn't conjure up a specific memory of Spain.

#42891 - 11/21/00 01:04 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

For me too. I have lived and worked other places, but that was the most special year of my life. I made some bad decisions, some good ones - learned soo much. I felt so open that every single person I met and spoke with contributed something to my life, even those people I met on the train and stayed up all night talking to before parting ways in the morning. I loved it.

Unfortunately, I have not found a big Spanish community anywhere else that I have lived, maybe in L.A. I will....

For now, my addiciton to this site serves the purpose. I can't explain to anyone - even my boyfiend, who I started dating after that year (he had spent a year in France, and our first conversations were sharing tales of our year abroad) is of the "let it go" mentality. I am sure there were a lot of people in our program for whom the experience was not as explosive and pivotal as it was for me. But, oh well, what wonderful luck I had to have that experience...

#42892 - 11/21/00 01:23 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

I know what you mean, I drove my American friends crazy for years, trying to drag them to Cafe Sevilla (San Diego), talking about my travels there, etc...They did not understand. In fact, my family did not understand until they finally went to meet my in-laws last year and all my mother kept saying was, "I understand now", my parents now have the "travel bug" and are going back next year...without us!!!!

As far as my new "friends" on this board, noone "understands" me like you all!

#42893 - 11/21/00 01:54 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
"As far as my new "friends" on this board, noone "understands" me like you all," sobs laduque with arms wrapped around the monitor.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42894 - 11/21/00 04:02 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Jules
As a mother of a 20-year old daughter who is in Madrid doing a semester, I would first advise you to ask yourself, what you would want to accomplish by studying abroad. When my daughter was selecting a country where to spend a semester, she looked at various programs. She did not want to spend a semester without credits. It was a toss between London and Madrid. The program in London (London School of Economics) was an intensive program and required one-year study and she did want to be abroad to spend most of her time studying. The program that she is now is not that intensive
She has time to make friends and study also. Looked into the program. Her program provided 4-weeks of orientation - learning Spanish history and culture. She opted to live with a family. It was at first difficult to adjust to new rules. For example long showers are not allowed. Just six minutes. No guys allowed in her room. She has to call to let the senora ahead of time whether she was going to be in for dinner. She adjusted to the new rules. By choice, she spends more time with the Spanish students and worked hard to speak Spanish all the time. To date, she speaks Spanish like a Madrilena. She enjoys her program because it allows her to go out and meet new friends rather than spending too much studying. Look at the programs of the school to give you a better understanding how you want to spend your semester or year abroad. There will be adjustments the first 2 months. My daughter said the mistakes of some students is that they keep on comparing differences between the U.S. and Madrid. I will be visiting Spain next month and I will update this board of my Spain experience.

#42895 - 11/21/00 05:56 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Madridman, are you making fun of me? I'm very sensitive, you know!

#42896 - 11/21/00 06:25 PM Re: Can anyone give me their whole experience of studying at a Spain University?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Laduque, I know exactly what you mean. I came back and just went on and on about my year abroad, until people's eyes glazed over, which didn't take very long. I would promise myself not to talk about, but I couldn't help myself.

That is why this forum is so cool- other Spanophiles with whom we can revel in our nostalgia and dreams of future trips.

Once again "All hail Madridman!!" shouted the hamburger headed follower in the west.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments