Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42706 - 09/08/07 07:28 AM Opening a business
driven989 Offline

Hello all!

It is relatively easy as an American to open or buy an existing business here in Madrid. Do they make you jump through hoops or is it a relatively smooth process?

Thanks as always!

#42707 - 09/08/07 08:21 AM Re: Opening a business
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi again, driven989! While waiting for more replies, here are some threads covering the same topic:

Starting a Business in Spain

Starting a Business in Spain (another)

Opening a Business in Spain

Starting a Business in Madrid

My "SHORT ANSWER" to your question is no. It's not at all relatively easy for an American to open or buy businesses in Madrid/Spain. Nothing smooth about the process whatsover. Your head will likely spin from the paperwork. I guess the best thing to do would be to hire/contract a Spanish business lawyer to help you through the process and lighten the load for you just a little, at least to tell you what documents you need to provide/translate.

Best of luck! Saludos, MadridMan xfingers

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42708 - 10/20/07 06:49 AM Re: Opening a business
Andy24 Offline

Loc: England
Hi all, not posted for a while..doubt you remember me!

Anyway i thought instead of starting a new thread i should ask here. Is there a need for more Cafe Sandwitch bars in Madrid? and also right along all the main cities in the south of the country.

I have been doing lots of research into the running of one and all the buisness aspects, so thought why not give it a go instead of working in a dead end job! I will be coming over to Spain next summer to have a look for myself, but yeah..im getting some nice savings together now! laugh

#42709 - 10/20/07 09:38 AM Re: Opening a business
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
To be clear what you mean about "a sandwich bar", are you referring to "sandwich" as two slices of "normal" bread with stuff between them?

If so, the only sandwich shop with which I'm familiar is the Rodilla chain - http://www.rodilla.com/ . There are 45 shops in Madrid city alone and are quite popular. I like them a lot for a light lunch. Check their website for other locations. I think all these shops are franchised. You could open a franchised one for yourself! Might even be a bit easier than starting a brand new one yourself - at least until you know the business more. Then you could open your own if you saw a future in it.

As for other, non Rodilla sandwich bars, I can't say I've ever seen one. Anyone else?

If you do open one, why not promise us that you'll ONLY hire people from this message board whom are dreaming of getting a work visa in order to live in Spain instead of hiring the usual illegal aliens working for peanuts? (Disclaimer: I hereby do not intend to claim that any particular sandwich bar in Madrid does this)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42710 - 10/20/07 10:26 AM Re: Opening a business
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I think the problem is that the "snack" market is already catered for with regards to the local population eg sandwich mixto, pincho de tortilla, bocadillo de jamon/queso/lomo etc. You do occasionally see sandwiches in canape format. However, with the growth in the expat community you may be on a winner. Especially if you take up MM's idea of employing people from this board - what better way to publicize your venture and have a ready made market. Especially if you offer stuff like bacon sarnies, sausage rolls, coronation chicken sarnies, hot dogs etc. In fact hot dogs seem to be more and more popular in Spain.

#42711 - 10/20/07 12:17 PM Re: Opening a business
Andy24 Offline

Ah yes. What i was thinking is a Sandwitch bar, such as the example above in Rodilla but crossed with the Coffee shops you see around such as Starbucks. So you would have all your Coffee, Capachino, Expresso, Hot Chocolate, Tea and all the little cakes and biscets the do. But along with that have the sandwitches, baguettes, bagels and possibly as filbert said Bacon sarnis etc saugage rolls and all your savouries.

And it would certainly be worth looking at employing people from here. As the atmosphere is created by the staff of course! Non of these grumpy grunters wink

But still its only in the very very vague planning stages..im not a buisness genious. Will be coming to take a look around for myself next summer and rather than just a holiday make sure i get some notes on what is needed and were etc.

Look forward to your replies! laugh

#42712 - 10/20/07 01:01 PM Re: Opening a business
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Hi!
MadridMan there are other sandwich bars in Madrid appart from Rodilla.

You have "Fast Good" created by the world famous cook Ferràn Adrià in colaboration with NH hotels.

Another chain wich is becoming more and more popular is "Delina\'s" , I cannot say if this brand is Spanish, it looks like if it was American, even the name.

A smaller company is "Summac Foods" but it is going to open new restaurants in Madrid in the nearly future.

Finally I have seen one shop selling sandwiches, British foods and products like mermelades, cookies, canned foods, etc in calle Mejía de Lequerica (Metro Sagasta or Tribunal).

So this kind of bussiness is going to be a success for sure since Madrid is becoming a big and cosmopolitan metropoli.

#42713 - 10/20/07 07:00 PM Re: Opening a business
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Quote:
Ah yes. What i was thinking is a Sandwitch bar, such as the example above in Rodilla but crossed with the Coffee shops you see around such as Starbucks. So you would have all your Coffee, Capachino, Expresso, Hot Chocolate, Tea and all the little cakes and biscets the do. But along with that have the sandwitches, baguettes, bagels and possibly as filbert said Bacon sarnis etc saugage rolls and all your savouries.
There is a small chain of places that are exactly like that called Viena Capellanes. They have around 20 locations, I think. Another hipper place like that is Diurno in Chueca (which also has videos). Still, I think there's room for more in the right location. From what I've seen, trying to appeal to expats is a bad idea. Places like that tend to come and go quickly, unless the population in question is very large (like the Colombian community). Businesses here (obviously) need to cater to Madrileños and better yet those within a few block radius.

http://www.viena-capellanes.com/

And if you wanted to legally hire Americans, you'll certainly need to establish the business first. No new business without an employee track record would ever pass muster in getting work visas granted.

#42714 - 10/22/07 04:42 PM Re: Opening a business
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Andy24,

Just a couple of thoughts from having lived and worked in both London (W1) and Madrid (Salamanca area), there is a world of difference between the concept of a sandwich shop between these two cities. While it is relatively easy to get a premade sandwich in Madrid, I don't recall too many places that made the selection of sandwiches available in London. In the Salamanca area the only one I recall that would make up something fresh from a larger selection was Delinas (multiple locations). Also, Rodillas sandwiches tend to be small and you have to get several to make a good lunch.

In thinking about a business plan, you also have to think about the differences in how people approach lunch in Spain versus the UK. Many places are standup which I recall as common in London sandwich shops, but again, the mid-day meal was not a sandwich for most of my Madrileno co-workers.

#42715 - 10/23/07 11:42 AM Re: Opening a business
Andy24 Offline

Thanks for all the info everyone! laugh

Just been to the library picked up a few books on Setting up a business in spain, and a book just generally about madrid. Also ordered a book called How to open a financially successful Coffee, Expresso and Tea Shop.

And when ive worked my way through them..will get some research into Buisness plans and get over to Spain..all a few years away yet but still..theres hope laugh

Will keep you updated anyway.

Thanks again everyone! smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments