Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#42618 - 03/11/07 04:06 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
nevado Offline

If you take Spanish classes,you can get a student visa. It doesn't allow you to work, but at least you'd avoid overstaying your 3-month tourist visa.

#42619 - 03/11/07 02:29 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

So, I need something cleared up for me because I've been getting mixed answers. Some of you say that there will be problems if I overstay my tourist visa and try to go to neighboring countries, while Janel says it won't really be a problem (as long as I stay out of England). Which is it? I'm still a bit confused. For example: If I'm in Spain for 5 months and happen to jump on Eurorail and go to France, will I be in trouble? In other words, will I go through customs in France, and then customs returning to Spain?

#42620 - 03/11/07 04:00 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
SRedw Offline

First of all, let me clarify something. YOU CAN work on a student visa, but only 20 hours a week. How do you think that many Americans can do an internship for one year in Spain? It's a combination of taking classes and working at a Spanish company. I know of many English language academies that accept Americans who have student visas and can have them work LEGALLY. The laws have changed a lot.

Shawn

#42621 - 03/11/07 04:51 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
to jump on Eurorail and go to France, will I be in trouble? In other words, will I go through customs in France, and then customs returning to Spain? quoted by Driven989.

Eurorail stamps your tickets on a machine if electronic.Then i think you also need to show to onboard inspector with a phto id., I have not seen stamping passports so no proof you were there. There is no customs between EU countries; i do all the time from France.

#42622 - 03/11/07 06:54 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Thanks Pedmar - that is good info to know.

#42623 - 03/11/07 07:24 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
trinichica Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Thanks janel for the comment. Yes, this is one case where I had to learn from an unpleasant experience. Ignorance was not bliss in this case. I never stopped to think that there would be a problem trying to go to Norway as I was not aware of the Schengen Treaty etc.

Nevado said: If you take Spanish classes,you can get a student visa. It doesn't allow you to work, but at least you'd avoid overstaying your 3-month tourist visa.

Shawn said: YOU CAN work on a student visa, but only 20 hours a week. How do you think that many Americans can do an internship for one year in Spain? It's a combination of taking classes and working at a Spanish company. I know of many English language academies that accept Americans who have student visas and can have them work LEGALLY. The laws have changed a lot.

I had been wondering how non-EUs manage with the extended internships, but I had assumed that to be eligible for a student visa, you would need to be enrolled in full-time course of study (e.g. university program) and simply taking Spanish classes wouldn't suffice. But as you said, it must be a combination of the classes and the internship that qualifies you for a student visa. This is good to know. If anyone has a government website link that gives details of this, I would greatly appreciate it. Oops...I guess I should search this messageboard as I'm sure this has been discussed previously (criteria for student visas).

Also very good to know about the possibility of travelling within certain countries in Europe. Thanks!

#42624 - 03/12/07 04:03 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
nevado Offline

That's good news about the student visa. Are there different types of student visas?

#42625 - 03/12/07 04:26 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
in France the US embassy gives you info on all the above. So i am assuming they do the same in Spain. You should try for the Canadian embassy in Madrid, they should tell you all the details from a legal standpoint.

Then you can play the game as it suit your needs/risks taking.

#42626 - 03/12/07 05:13 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Can you apply for a student Visa AFTER you arrive in Madrid?

#42627 - 03/12/07 05:20 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Quote:
Can you apply for a student Visa AFTER you arrive in Madrid?
No, a visa is only for entry into Spain. The student visa does not allow you to work. Once you enter Spain on a student visa, you must then apply for student residency. Once you have student residency, you can apply for permission to work part-time (you must have a contract to get this permission). In order to get the student visa, you have to prove that youwill be a full-time student. When you apply for the residency, they aren't as strict.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1579 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments