Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#42598 - 02/25/07 07:58 PM Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Hi all,

I am 31 year old guy from San Francisco, USA - I am moving to Madrid at the end of March. It's something I've always wanted to do, and I figure it's now or never - so I'm taking the leap! My goal is to stay out there for 1 year, and hopefully work and learn Spanish. How realistic is this w/out paperwork??? I'm just trying not to get deported or fall flat on my face...Any advice would help. Thanks all! smile

#42599 - 02/25/07 08:11 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
SRedw Offline

Have you done a search? This has been discussed before on many threads here.

Shawn

#42600 - 02/26/07 04:36 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello driven989! Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board.

Sredw's right, this is a topic which comes up nearly monthly (or more often) and there's LOTS of previous discussion on it already. Here are a few of the more recent threads you can read in this forum category (you can also expand the category to "SHOW ALL TOPICS" and you can scan the thread titles):

Network Engineer jobs? Living and working in Spain
Non-EU Jobs
Permanent move?
RELOCATING TO SPAIN ... BLINDLY! ..gulp!
Work in Spain? Show me the money!
Madrid the Impossible Dream

The above are only a small portion of those thread which touch on your question. Chances probably aren't good that you'll get deported but it can certainly happen. Hope you have a good bit of cash saved up to support yourself during that year!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42601 - 02/26/07 07:53 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
Welcome to Spain!!

Surely, there are lots of opportunity for you i guess. and you could learn your spanish while here for a year... so are you ready for tapas y cañas around? see you on march. keep us updated.. or meet u up soon!

Neilstrauss..

PS: first caña gratis!! smile

#42602 - 02/26/07 02:53 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies to my post. I've read a lot of threads relating to my topic, and wow, a lot of it sounds pretty discouraging. I guess there's risk in anything though, and time will tell. Special thanks to you "Neilstrauss23" for your welcoming words!!!

#42603 - 02/27/07 04:34 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

(note to driven989 from MadridMan: I've moved your new topic here, thereby extending your original, related question)

(originally posted by driven989 on 02-27-2007 02:34 AM)

Hi all,

A tourist Visa gives you (if you are from the US) a stay of up to 90 days in Spain. Is it possible to extend that tourist visa up to 6 months? If so, how is it done? Is it difficult? If not, any loop holes in terms of leaving the country and re-entering for another legal stay of 90 days? I can't seem to find threads that answer this question percisely.

Thanks!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42604 - 02/27/07 02:42 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
if you want the legal info go to the US Embassy in Madrid
www.embusa.es

Otherwise, any stay beyond that has risk but i know many who do it (not me citizen of) even work on teaching jobs etc freelance. I guess its difficult but not impossible.
Good luck driven989.

#42605 - 02/27/07 04:04 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Or even better, if you haven't already, check the Spanish Consulate Office's websites in the USA. The one I used for my region, Chicago, is at http://www.mae.es/Consulados/Chicago/en/Home/

The US Embassy won't be able to help you much with this as it's Spain's jurisdiction. They mainly help with US-related issues AFTER becoming a resident or while you're in the process of becoming legal in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

#42606 - 02/28/07 06:39 AM Re: Moving to Spain in March
janel Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi driven,
Regardless of the inconsequential fact that after 90 days you would be here illegally, everyone does it, there is not much to worry about. I was like you too, I decided it was time to at least try it and ive been in Madrid 6 years. Let us know when you arrive!

#42607 - 03/04/07 06:44 PM Re: Moving to Spain in March
driven989 Offline

Hey,

Anyone know of a good, safe, affordable place to stay (hotels, apartments, etc - no hostels), from March 28-31 while I find a permanent apartment to rent. I figure somewhere central would be most beneficial?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments