Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#42518 - 07/31/06 02:26 PM Non-EU Jobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm moving to Spain in October. I put in for a couple of jobs, but I haven't heard anything back yet. I feel I'd better do it while I'm young and not tied down to a real job. I understand that I may be an illegal worker (not something I suffered 4 years of school for, but whatever). I'm not really after money or a career. I want to learn to speak Spanish in Spain. I want to know are there any English publications for foreigners that may have job listings available? Where can I look for jobs, b/c I'm coming up dry on the net.

One of my German friends was telling me that if you can prove you've worked for 3 months you can apply for residency in Spain. Is this true?

#42519 - 07/31/06 03:29 PM Re: Non-EU Jobs
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello there!

I don't approve of "illegal status" workers in Spain and don't really want it discussed here as a "HOW TO WORK ILLEGALLY IN SPAIN". This is probably also the reason you haven't found much about it on the internet because no one wants to be digitally associated with anyone who's an illegal worker for fear this is some kind of Federal STING operation, luring people to help you and then charging them as an accessory to the crime.

Quote:
One of my German friends was telling me that if you can prove you've worked for 3 months you can apply for residency in Spain. Is this true?
No. 2 years is the amount of time you have to prove you've been living in Spain to apply for residency. I read this just yesterday in an an article about the prostitutes in Spain.

You will find a few threads on this topic, previously posted, and you can find them by conducting a SEARCH.

Good luck and work legally. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42520 - 08/05/06 02:04 AM Re: Non-EU Jobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for handing me my face. I understand your position, however, this does not remove the problem of finding work.

Where might I find publications for LEGAL work in Spain? I've checked on the web, but I mostly find teaching jobs, and those are usually only open to EU residents.

#42521 - 08/05/06 07:40 AM Re: Non-EU Jobs
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Hi, what nationality are you Nicole? If you're from the UK you're legally entitled to seek work in Spain. Alternatively you may put your question like this "How hard did you find it as a Canadian to settle in Madrid?" (if you were a Canadian). Also, use the search facility on this (and other Madrid boards).

#42522 - 08/06/06 01:27 AM Re: Non-EU Jobs
Anonymous
Unregistered

It'd be fantastic if I were from the UK, but unfortunately (in this situation), I'm an American. I decided a few weeks ago to go to Spain so I've been looking for work. I've checked JobsAbroad.com and Monster. There are a couple of Spanish sites as well, but they ask for bi-lingual, EU participants to apply only. I am neither.

I'm going to attend a language school to buy some time and improve my Spanish while looking for work. It's just a bit frustrating. I'm usually a bit more planned and just moving like this makes me a little nervous. I keep telling myself I'm young and there's no time like the present, but seriously, I do need to find a job.

#42523 - 08/06/06 04:44 AM Re: Non-EU Jobs
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

nicole982, in many/most respects, you being United Statesen is actually a negative and not a positive. I should say, instead, that being a non-EU national is actually a negative. The English-teaching market is flooded with the many Brits who can legally English. The wait-staff market is flooded with Latinos who not only speak fluent Spanish but are willing to work for almost nothing. All other worthwhile jobs do require good Spanish and don't pay well. Even the English teachers will tell you the salary made won't be enough to support yourself unless you have many roommates sharing living expenses.

Best of luck to you finding work.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42524 - 08/06/06 10:26 AM Re: Non-EU Jobs
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I totally agree with MadridMan. As an American who spent 4 years in Madrid trying desperately to find any kind of legal work I will tell you I was highly discouraged. I have 2 Ba's and a Masters degree and couldnt find legal work washing dishes - no exaggeration. I worked my butt off teaching English and barely could eat and pay my rent. The Americans that I know who have been successful have all secured their employment BEFORE arriving in Madrd via US companies. They are paid in dollars back home at US payrates. I am sure there are people who have been successful but I never met one and never was able to find work myself - and I consider myself pretty much a hustler and I am open to doing just about anything. I did a few translations here and there and gave some tours - but all in all couldnt support myself. Thats why I can only spend a few months a year in Spain - I have to keep coming home to make money.

#42525 - 08/06/06 12:39 PM Re: Non-EU Jobs
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

As an addition to the wise words of CascadaDuSel, those working in Spain with US companies tend to have had worked for said companies IN the USA until they reached some level of accomplishment before they could be selected from an elite list to make the temporary transfer to the Spanish offices. As in most non-local-national companies, the vast majority of employees working at any given company are staffed by locals. Example: the Honda car manufacturing plant in Marysville, Ohio only staff United Statesens for labor and only some of the management are from Japan - those who've been with the company for some period of time. In the case of non-Spanish companies IN Spain, management can LEGALLY staff Spaniards because they work for lower salaries and there's no mess with paying/arranging for work visas, language issues, etcetera. I know of one guy from the United States who works here in Madrid for a large, United Statesen software company. But guess what - he's half Spanish.

Saludos, MadridMan

#42526 - 08/06/06 04:08 PM Re: Non-EU Jobs
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
MM - your friend doesnt count if he is half Spanish - he wouldnt have to get a work permit.

I hear there are many more jobs lately and last month when I was shopping in Madrid I saw help wanted signs in most retail stores - it seems there is lots of work out there but it isnt very high paying for sure - good for students who live at home perhaps and just need copas money.

My new plan is to open some sort of business that would let me live in Madrid fulltime. I have some $$ saved up and could potentially do it at this point in my life but I havent found the right opportunity yet. I seem to have missed the real estate boat in Madrid - but I am waiting for the right idea to hit me ...

#42527 - 08/07/06 04:10 AM Re: Non-EU Jobs
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Exactly, CascadaDuSel. That half-Spanish friend would not count. So that goes to show how few United Statesens CAN and HAVE gotten legal work permits - at least those whom I know personally.

I too, surprisingly, have seen more "HELP WANTED" or "WAITER WANTED" signs in windows of businesses but in most of these cases I doubt they're willing to offer legal work visas and, of course, hope to hire someone who speaks Spanish if they're dealing directly with customers. If they're Spanish and willing to work for that wage - all the better - but some of these businesses (surprisingly to me) PREFER to hire illegals because then they (the business) don't have to pay social segurity, pension, or other taxes and can then pay lower wages. If the postion is for cleaning or more manual labor they may be hiring illegals or paying cash "under the table".

CascadaDuSel, we had a long discussion (or more than one) a few years ago about a United Statesen who was considering opening a business in Spain. But in the end it seemed more problematic and costly than it was worth. Hopefully you'll have more luck. If you do do so, please do let us know how it went, the pitfalls and problems, paperwork, legalities, etcetera.

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments