Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#42471 - 05/18/06 01:00 AM Re: Taxes net vs gross
nevado Offline

Paying 40-45% seems like a small amount considering you get health care and other benefits included. I think the tricky part is finding a job that pays more than 30k euros.

#42472 - 05/19/06 10:24 PM Re: Taxes net vs gross
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Nevado: We Americans would be rioting in the street if we earned $30,000 per year and 40-45%was withheld in taxes. eek I don't care what kind of benefits it was going for, that tax base at that income would cause massive revolt. We Americans are very sensitive to the issue of taxes. cool Every elected crook in Washington D.C. knows it to. wink

#42473 - 05/20/06 02:52 AM Re: Taxes net vs gross
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Errr... Let's not make this a USA versus Spain issue, eh? I know some of you are starving for USA-focused political discussions but this is about Spain's take-home pay.

Most people in Spain are not exactly happy to pay the higher taxes but they realize they couldn't live without the benefits. They couldn't imagine paying high health-care costs or sending their kids to university out of their already small salaries. They couldn't imagine how they'd live if they had no or very little pension. If they had a low-level illness the healthcare could destroy their savings - and possibly their future earnings.

Tim Hortons Man, I'm not sure what the tax percentage in Canada is/was for you but I'd imagine it's close to what's paid-out in Spain.

"The Rich and the Healthy have no worries. But if you're not one of these few..."

Saludos, MadridMan - HAPPY laugh to pay taxes

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42474 - 05/20/06 03:05 AM Re: Taxes net vs gross
nevado Offline

Yeah, for Americans it would be a difficult adjustment, but so is paying $1000/month for family health care for those who aren't afforded the luxury of having it paid for by the employer. Compare it to other European countries; take Denmark, for example, they pay something around 70% (but they aren't making 30k, either). I think the pay in Spain is what makes living difficult, not the taxes. Salaries haven't reached average European levels but the prices have. It amazes me how a student can move from their parents' house in Spain, go to London and live away from home, and come back to Spain with savings in the amount of what they would've earned in Spain, not to mention great experiences. I do, however, agree with CascadaDuSel, it seems to require less money to live in Spain. There's less time to spend money with so much socializing (or working long hours and no large dwellings to fill up)! wink

#42475 - 05/20/06 08:53 AM Re: Taxes net vs gross
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Here some more questions.

Where would the highest cost of living be in Spain? Madrid? Barcelona?

What is the cheapest region of Spain to live in?

Thanks
Bill

#42476 - 05/20/06 10:57 AM Re: Taxes net vs gross
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Bill from NYC: I would like to know where the cheapest region is myself. Certainly it is nowhere along the Med. with Barcelona certainly being out of the running. Based on my last two trips over I would say Barcelona and Madrid are very closely matched as per the cost of living. I have been researching the cost of real estate on line and almost anything listed on the web is along the Med or Andulucia. cool

#42477 - 05/21/06 06:19 AM Re: Taxes net vs gross
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
where we live in Almeria the cost of living is quite low, we dont pay for our water so no water bill! our taxes are low and the weather is great. We can still go out and have a glass of wine for a euro with a tapa and the houses prices arent to high yet! they have incresed but not to much, we bought a 3 bedroom house for €110,000 last year which isnt bad when you look at madrid and barcelona. I lived for a while in Girona and the cost of living there was very high.But you have to remember its harder to get a job down there then in a city like madrid and often the wages are less to.

#42478 - 05/21/06 01:00 PM Re: Taxes net vs gross
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Runzheimer; think spells that way give you a cost of living index for worldwide cities; I use to use when moved to Europe(France).

Weight this in with your negotiations and hopefully you can get a job offer close to the same standard of living or better (i have it better!!) I did ran a spreadsheet putting together from salaries, bonuses, 13th month pay (france) and all the expenses of running a house with 3 kids (i am a finance manager) the bottom line gave me better in Europe by much so I am having la vida loca in France. I have lived and visit Madrid and many parts of Spain; yes the salaries gross are smaller but the taxes are higher than USA ;the benefits are much better too in Spain. So it is as I say a matter of negotiating and a bit of luck as usual.

just as hard it is for Americans not to pay taxes:it is the same issue for Europeans having to pay exhorbitant medical care. Neither will undertand it:so move on and enjoy the local life as is.

#42479 - 05/22/06 05:47 AM Re: Taxes net vs gross
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hmmm, for a salary in the 30K range, taxes shouldn't be 40-45%. That is for much higher salaries. Speaking for myself, I am earning about 42K and my taxes are about 30%

This is the table for 2005:

If your earnings are over (A), then you have to pay a fixed amount of (X), plus a percentage (B) of the difference of your total earnings minus (A). Your total earnings must be lowered by some legal reductions (2400 euros if you are not self-employed, all the money your payed to the National Social Security, certain amount if you have children or elder parents depending from you, etc.). Additionally, some reductions on the total taxes amount can be done, too (a certain % of the amounts payed for your home's mortgage, a % of the donations to registered foundations or NGOs, etc.)

So, you have to find the number immediately lower to your total, and do the maths with that row:

Code:
  (A)           (X)         Diff up to       (B)
    0.00          0.00         4080.00       15%
 4080.00        612.00         9996.00       24%
14076.00       3011.04        12240.00       28% 
26316.00       6438.24        19584.00       37% 
45900.00      13684.32        whatever       45%

Hope it is more or less clear.

#42480 - 05/22/06 08:47 AM Re: Taxes net vs gross
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Torrales

People with a salary of 30K are they consider middle class in Spain?

Bill

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2755 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments