Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4227 - 05/27/02 11:39 AM Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) or Crowneplaza? which one?
Em222 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi

4 friends are planning to come to Marid for the weekend, I am actually coming to Madrid after visting Pamplona but we need a hotel to stay in.

I have found these two so far and would love some feedback on both.

Maybe someone has some pther/better suggestions?

We would like to be within walking distance of the main shopping area and sights, not to mention the nightlife!

Thansk

#4228 - 05/27/02 12:48 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) or Crowneplaza? which one?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi Em222!

Here are some threads to start you off. If you need more info - try the search facility at the top right of this page, and you'll probably get more information than you need. rolleyes

The ones below are just ones that I have personally contributed to, but there are many more I'm sure! laugh

One
Two
Three
Four

Happy researching!

Jo

#4229 - 05/27/02 03:39 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) or Crowneplaza? which one?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

But . . . . these days, I'd rather stay in a hostal and spend the saved money on something else!

Jo

#4230 - 05/28/02 10:38 AM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) or Crowneplaza? which one?
Em222 Offline

Jo-Anne

Thanks for the reply, what hostal's would you suggest? Sorry for not knowing but do you get your own rooms and bathroom? I too would rather save money but want to stay somewhere clean, safe and near the main centre as we only have 2 days to enjoy Madrid!

Thanks

Em

#4231 - 05/28/02 11:24 AM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) or Crowneplaza? which one?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

I like it at Hostal Martin, and you can get loads of info on it on this board (from me again - snore snore snore! And lots of other people.)

Yes, own bathroom, safe, secure, well positioned, air-conditioned and . . . .
Hostal Martin

Having stayed at Carlos V and here, I would go for the hostal option eveytime now. Nothing againt the Carlos V, I loved it, but it has gone up in price hugely over the last couple of years.

In my experience, Hostal Martin are very easy to book with via e-mail and respond immediately. laugh

Good luck.

Jo

#4232 - 05/28/02 12:08 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) or Crowneplaza? which one?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Jo-Anne always has good advice. smile I stayed at Hostal Cervelo one night last month. It and Hostal Martín work in tandem, Martín being one floor above. I liked it just fine. You can read my review in this forum by doing a SEARCH.

Of the two hotels you listed, Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza and Best Western Hotel Carlos V , Carlos V is slightly more central being next to the Puerta del Sol and near the busy pedestrian C/ Preciados. But Jo-Anne's right - their price has nearly doubled in the last 2-3 years -- I really can't imagine why! I suppose they felt they could charge more with the PRIMO location. Crowne Plaza is nicely located too and you'll likely have a good view of the Plaza de España or side streets around the very busy Gran Vía. My coworker spent a few nights there a couple years ago and said she liked it a lot... although, this is the SAME coworker who said she didn't like Spanish food and she and her husband ate most meals at the McDonald's and KFCs in Madrid and throughout Spain. rolleyes

All that said, you'll find LOTS of feedback in this forum about Carlos V by using the SEARCH link above/right. I don't think much has been said about the Crowne Plaza though. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4233 - 05/28/02 12:54 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) or Crowneplaza? which one?
Em222 Offline

Gosh I have to say this message board is ace! So much information it is too good to
be true! I am coming to Spain twice over the summer, I think I will post another
question regarding bunol on another thread though otherwise it could get confusing!

I have had a look at the website recommended to me and both hostals look ideal.
So I think if they have space I will take Jo-Anne's advice and save my money for
something else and enjoy a better taste of Spain than at a large corporate hotel.

Madridman-just to let you know I can't wait to taste Spanish food, beer and wine
again, so no McDonald's for me no way laugh

#4234 - 06/14/02 01:14 PM Re: Hotel Carlos V (Madrid) or Crowneplaza? which one?
Mily Offline

Loc: Chihuahua, Chih. México
Hi! I've stayed at both hotels you mention, they can´t be compared. The Best Western one is not that good and the Plaza is really nice but very expensive. Why don't you try Liabeny? It's a nice, clean, safe 4 stars hotel that's not too expensive and it's location is great. Just three or four blocks from Puerta del Sol and about two from Gran Vía. You can walk your way through Madrid from this hotel. The rates are about 14,000 pesetas in a single room and a bit more for a double.
I hope you find this information useful.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments