Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#42241 - 05/20/05 12:04 PM Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
ceb Offline

Loc: USA
¡Hola! Would any American here be willing to renounce their U.S. citizenship for a Spanish/EU one? This is a dilemma I am facing, and just out of curiousity wanted to see what others would decide if faced with the same situation---of course each comment with be based on a personal perspective. I've lived in Europe before, not Spain, and loved it. I've only seen Spain as a tourist. Although, some relatives lived there once (some are still there...native Spaniards) and they mention all the time how much they loved it---they never really got use to the American way of life.

#42242 - 05/20/05 12:26 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
No...I would not renounce my US citizenship for any other country.

I love Spain. I have lived there for many years. But, give up my nation...sorry, no way. I'm proud of who I am and from where I come.

Sheryl

#42243 - 05/20/05 12:34 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
ceb Offline

Hi Sheryl. I see your point. In my case I am very proud of who I am too, which for me is a divided issue. Only one grandparent (Galician grandfather on my maternal side) was born in Spain; however, if you look back on completely both sides of my maternal and paternal ancestry lines, I am about 90% Spanish (i.e. paternal-paternal great grandparents were born in the Canary Islands) But, I was born and raised in the U.S., and I am also a part of this country as well. I think it's different when someone is attached to Spain by simply having lived there, as apposed to having an extensive blood/cultural connection.

#42244 - 05/20/05 01:15 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Dear Ceb-

Don't know if I can say yes or no to your "bloodline" statement...but let's be honest, everyone in the US has a bloodline from somewhere else. My maternal grandmother came here from Russia...My paternal grandmother was the first in her family born here...having "escaped" Austria.

You mention your bloodline, I don't see that as a reason to renounce your nation. How many people are coming here looking for something better? It seems to me...your ancesters came here looking for something else...yes, an escape from Franco...but, they stayed.

My stepsons are from Italy...as is my husband. They all were born, raised and educated there. They love their home country...but chose and choose to live here. There must be a reason other than blood that pulls a person back to their roots.

I am not making fun of your words, it's just that they seem to ring in my ears.

Ah, by the way, perhaps my chosing this country over another deals with the reality of other countries throwing out and or rejecting my family because of religious intolerance. Why would I want to go to a place where my family was tortured and killed?

When I'm asked where I'm from...my answer is simple: New York City. After the 9/11 attacks, I was even more proud to say that I'm a native New Yorker.

Sheryl

#42245 - 05/20/05 01:42 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
At the moment I have only a US citizenship, but I have been eligible for dual citizenship with another European country all my life. (My parents were not yet naturalized US citizens when I was born.) Even when I lived in Spain I saw no need to bother with the paperwork and get another citizenship - there was simply no need to have one other than US. And I had every intention of spending the rest of my life in Spain! My Spanish paperwork was in order, I had both residency and working papers, so all was fine. I saw no need to change anything.

Lately I have been considering applying for the second citizenship because it would make moving back to Europe without a job first so much easier. I also consider eventually buying property in Europe, and I imagine that, too, would be easier. But I don't see any reason to drop US citizenship, no matter how much I'd rather live in Europe. There are advantages to being able to return to the US - especially for economic/financial reasons.

#42246 - 05/20/05 01:53 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
ceb Offline

Thanks again for your input Sheryl. My ancestors didn't go from Spain to America---but to Latin America. My birth and upbringing in the U.S. has nothing to do with them, or escaping Franco's rule. True, most Americans have origins outside of this country, but from what I've encountered many don't have any continual ties to their former roots.

Hi Diana. My mother is eligible for a Spanish/EU citizenship based on her late Spanish father. She was not naturalized as an American when I was born, just a resident, and was born in a Latin American country. Therefore, I don't know why I cannot automatically get Spanish citizenship once she becomes Spanish?? The consulates here give conflicting info.

Btw Diana, how easy is it to get residency in Spain after buying property there? How many years?

#42247 - 05/20/05 02:55 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi ceb,
I'm afraid I can't help you with either question - I just don't know the answers! I would imagine that if your mother didn't have Spanish citizenship at the time of your birth, regardless of whether she was elegible, you wouldn't be able to get it, but I really don't know the Spanish policy on that. As for getting residency after buying property, I'm afraid I don't know that either. In my case it was the other way around - I had already been a resident for quite a few years before buying property.

#42248 - 05/20/05 03:25 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
ceb Offline

Thanks Diana. Your information was helpful. I also doubt it, since my mother was not Spanish (still isn't) prior to my birth. My mother is planning on becoming Spanish and retiring in Spain soon, and as her only child I wonder if the Spanish government will see me as her sole "care giver"? I also have loads of Spanish aunts/uncles, and cousins, which makes it a great idea to live in Spain---as we're a very close knit family. If only I could find a way around the "red tape" frown .

#42249 - 05/20/05 03:46 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
jabch Offline

CEB: If you are a minor you are eligible for Spanish Citizenship once your mother becomes Spaniard. However, if you are of legal age (I think older than 18), you will have to legally live for 1 year in Spain to later become Spanish citizen. On the second case you mother does not have to become citizen since you can also do it through your grandparent connection, even if he or she is now death.

Actually, the present Spanish law kind of sucks because someone in your mother’s situation once becomes a Spanish citizen can only apply for citizenship for her underage kids, while her older kids cannot get it unless they go legally live in Spain for one year, which is very hard.

About residency through investment, you have to show proof of investments in Spain (through bank accounts or certificates of investment) worth at least 100,000 USD to the Spanish consulate in order to obtain an investor-type (self-employed) visa (add 15,000 more for each dependant that comes with you to Spain), in addition to a solid business plan. After a year of legal residency in Spain as a self-employed investor you can apply for citizenship before the Ministry of Justice as the grandson of a Spaniard citizen. I think MM wrote about this investor's visa some place else on this board.

Ceb: Have you lived, not vacationed, before in Spain. If that's not the case I would suggest that you go there first for a year and see of life in Spain is what you expected. Then you can start thinking about dropping your U.S., citizenship.

#42250 - 05/20/05 04:01 PM Re: Would anyone drop their US citizenship for a Spanish/EU one?
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
I have both an Irish and an American. I was able to get Irish citizenship a few years back due to the fact that my grandparents were born there. Also when living and playing hockey in Denmark in the late '80's I was given the opportunity to become a danish citizen in order to play on their national team, but would have had to drop my US passport in order to do so. I am now happy to have both the Irsh and American passports, but would never give up my American. I lived in Europe for seven years and loved the time I spent over there, but deep down I am an American through and through and would never give that up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments