Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42140 - 01/27/05 10:34 AM how/where to seek translation work?
Kati Offline

Loc: Vitoria-Gasteiz
Hey all!
Can anyone please give me ideas about getting translation work in Spain? I've contacted a bunch of translation offices and language schools. Other than this, what could I do? Post ads somewhere? Does this work? Thanks for your input, experience, advice...
:-)

#42141 - 01/27/05 01:03 PM Re: how/where to seek translation work?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That's tough. You first have to be/become a an official, licensed, certified translator. Is that what they told you to do at the translation offices? I don't think there's much work for those who are not licensed.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42142 - 01/27/05 01:33 PM Re: how/where to seek translation work?
Kati Offline

Loc: Vitoria-Gasteiz
Well, I'm not "licensed" (whatever that means exactly) but I have a MA degree in French and I am a licensed language teacher. Most language schools here provide translation/interpretation services as well and so far I haven't been turned down because of not being licensed. I've also worked as a translator before so if they need references or anything I can produce some.
However, I don't yet know how this works exactly with official translation offices, ie. if they only give you like a one-page text every six months or so, or is it a "real", reliable job?
The other thing is, I don't know what other resources exist to seek translation work. When I look at the job ads I don't even see a category for this. So the real problem I have is where to offer this kind of service, where to find people/organisations/companies etc. who might be interested?
Thanks for your reply, MadridMan. :-)

#42143 - 01/30/05 07:07 PM Re: how/where to seek translation work?
el viajero Offline

If you're looking for a full-time staff position, it's very tricky. However, if you're looking for freelance work, you have more options.

You only need to be a traductor jurado for certain types of work. Translation agencies in Spain can use freelancers from outside the E.U. (therefore not sworn translators in Spain) for jobs not related to legal cases, government work, etc.

Register with as many agencies as possible both in and outside of Spain. Thanks to the internet, the translator, agency and client can be in three different countries. Don't forget to try out the online communities for translators as well (proz.com, translatorscafe, etc.) You also might want to subscribe to Spain-based listservs and online newsgroups related to translation. People often post jobs for freelancers.

Good luck.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments