Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#42073 - 01/04/05 11:51 AM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Please note that the maximum stay without visa is 90 days.

#42074 - 01/04/05 06:22 PM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola el_jigante,

You are eligible under the new repatriation law to apply for Spanish Citizenship because as you explained:
Quote:
My grandfather (mother's side) was 100% Spaniard but married a non-spaniard.
As long as your grandfather was a Spaniard born in Spain you can go to the nearest Spanish embassy and begin the application process. You need to be persistent. Spanish civil servants are not the most informative folks in the world. You will have to do the research and demand your due. With Spanish citizenship, you also gain citizenship to the European Union and can work in any of theses countries legally.

Do you know if your grandfather registered his children with the Spanish counselate here in the U.S.? That makes it even simpler for you. But the Spanish authorities understand if he did not do so, since there was a time period during Franco's regime that those Spaniards who left before, during or right after the war, were not allowed to register their progeny. A shame, really.

Espe3, a MM member, did just that. There are several helpful threads on this board that will tell you which agency to apply, just use the search function and be patient. It took a lot of persistence and hard work on her part, but she did it legally. And a side benefit of obtaining Spanish citizenship is that your wife is then eligible to apply for citizenship too.

Good luck on your search.

#42075 - 01/04/05 06:40 PM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Calibasco, only if you want to work as a morcilla! laugh

#42076 - 01/06/05 12:23 PM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
Chus Offline

Loc: Charlotte, N.C., USA
Hi El Jigante!
Here is some info from the Spanish consulate in Chicago (it seems their website is the best 'cause the one for the Embassy in DC is pitiful!!! Can't they get a good web designer?)
Anyway, here is the link to their main site, then click on "Nacionalidad". In the bottom of the page they have some links to PDF files with more information.
http://www.consulate-spain-chicago.com/

Good luck!!

Chus

#42077 - 01/06/05 07:36 PM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
el_jigante Offline

Loc: USA
Gracia Chus!

Got the info. from the site and did some calling too:-) Here is the scoop.

1. All of my forefathers were from Spain.

2. My great great-grandfather came from Spain in 1880 to Boriquen (aka. Puerto Rico) when it was a colony of spain.

3. My great grandfather was borned in 1887 in Boriquen (aka. Puerto Rico) when it still was a Spain Colony.

4. In 1989 Spain lost the war to the US:-(

5. My grandfather was borned in Puerto Rico (now US territory) of a 100% Spaniard mother & father. But married a non-spaniard.

6. My mother, 50% spaniard, and now 70 years old, can't remember if she had spanish citizenship:-(

Now...there is an attorney in Spain that is telling me that 'there are provisions to the civil law'? that makes me a citizen of spain. I don't know how to check the validitity of his claim nor check to see if he is a real attorney.

Here in the USA I can make a phone call to the Bar Association, Secretary of State, BBB to check the Esq. but where can I go to do so in Spain?

Will keep everyone updated.

El Jigante

#42078 - 02/09/05 11:06 AM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
According to the Spanish Ministry of Justice:

http://www.mju.es/mnacionalidad.htm

Your case is:

"Los ciudadanos extranjeros pueden solicitar la nacionalidad española cuando han residido en España durante un tiempo determinado.

Pueden obtenerla aquellas personas que residan en nuestro país y dispongan de autorización de residencia.

Los nacidos fuera de España, de padre o madre, abuelo o abuela que originariamente hubieran sido españoles: 1 año"

As your grandfather was 100% Spanish you may ask for the dual nationality if you live in Spain for at least 12 months.

#42079 - 03/06/05 07:10 PM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
ceb Offline

Indeed you'll be able to acquire Spanish citizenship if at least one grandparent is/was Spanish as per the 01/09/03 law. However, there are two catches. One you'll have to live in Spain for one year. And the last catch is you'll loose your US citizenship---this I was confirmed of by two Spanish Consulates in the US.

#42080 - 03/06/05 07:32 PM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
ceb, hasn't this "loss of US citizenship" changed in the last 2 years or so? It was my understanding a "United Statesen" could hold duel (2) citizenship now.

I'd recommend contacting someone at the Spanish US Embassy @ http://www.embusa.es to confirm.

UPDATE: On the US Embassy: Spain website @ http://www.embusa.es/cons/acsdual.html it states:

Quote:

AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES
Dual Nationality

Dual nationality is the simultaneous possession of two citizenships. The Supreme Court of the United States has stated that dual nationality is "long recognized in the law" and that "a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both…”

Dual nationality results from the fact that there is no uniform rule of international law relating to the acquisition of nationality. Each country has its own laws on the subject, and its nationality is conferred upon individuals on the basis of its own independent domestic policy. Individuals may have dual nationality not by choice but by automatic operation of these different and sometimes conflicting laws. For example, a child born abroad to U.S. citizens may acquire at birth not only American citizenship but also the nationality of the country in which he was born. Similarly, a child born in the United States to foreigners may acquire at birth both U.S. citizenship and a foreign nationality.

The automatic acquisition or retention of a foreign nationality does not affect U.S. citizenship; however, the acquisition of a foreign nationality upon one's own application or the application of a duly authorized agent may cause loss of U.S. citizenship. United States law does not contain any provisions requiring U.S. citizens who are born with dual nationality to choose one nationality or the other when they become adults. While recognizing the existence of dual nationality and permitting Americans to have other nationalities, the U.S. Government does not endorse dual nationality as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries upon dual-national U.S. citizens often place them in situations where their obligations to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts to provide diplomatic and consular protection to them when they are abroad. It generally is considered that while dual nationals are in the other country of which they are citizens that country has a predominant claim on them.

Like Americans who possess only U.S. citizenship, dual national U.S. citizens owe allegiance to the United States and are obliged to obey its laws and regulations. In cases where dual nationals encounter difficulty in a foreign country of which they are citizens, the ability of U.S. Foreign Service posts to provide assistance may be quite limited since many foreign countries may not recognize a dual national's claim to U.S. citizenship.

Except in certain circumstances, U.S. citizens must use U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States. Dual nationals may be required by their other country of citizenship to enter and leave that country using its passport. Complying with this requirement does not endanger the dual national’s U.S. citizenship.

Generally, persons who do not wish to maintain dual nationality may renounce the citizenship they do not want. Information on renouncing a foreign nationality may be obtained from the foreign country's Embassies and Consulates or from the appropriate governmental agency in that country. Information on renouncing U.S. citizenship may be obtained from U.S. Embassies and Consulates and the Office of Citizens Consular Services, Department of State, Washington, DC 20520.
Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#42081 - 03/06/05 11:53 PM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
Emilio J Offline

Loc: Valencia
Quote:
There is no reason for us, born citizen of the US, to go overseas and live an uncomfortable & deceiving life.
That is.

I lived for some years with an Argentinian girl. His father is a Spaniard emigrant in Buenos Aires. Three of his grandparents were Spaniards, one of them was an Italian.

It was no easy for her having the Spanish nationality (thought she actually got it), and if you are an illegal but you are used to develoop qualifyed jobs... well, maybe you'll have luck, but... it's hard. She left a comfortable life in Argentina (she came before the crack): she wanted to make a change, and now she did it, what it were good moments.. and hard moments too.

Leaving your country is easy when YOU'VE GOT THE MONEY. Any other way, it's a hard decision specially if you already have a comfortable life in your own country. I lived with an immigrant, and ok, she was white, blonde, she spoke Spanish with a beautiful accent, she had all the help that I could provide... but it wasn't easy for her. She didn't need to take a unqualifyed job, but it took several months for her to get her first job in the branch that she always worked in her country. She is finally quite adapted, but the nationality helped a lot: it's very important.

Look, if you were in trouble in your country or you had an adventure spirit, I'd say "go for the experience now, Spain sure is a good country to live in". But it seems to me that you are quite comfortable in the US and you don't seem to live an adventure.. anyway, it's your decision.

I don't mean that it will be a hell, but I'm tryng to advice that the first months, or even the first one or two years, it could be stressing sometimes. It depends much on what are you leaving behind, and what are you hoping to achieve, and, specially, how much soon do you want to achieve it.

And, of course, it depends very much of what are your resources (your personal resources, and the help of people that you may know in the country). And if depends of the luck a little bit.

That I've said is just my experience, and I believe it's true for any country you want to move in. Spain is my country and of course I consider it's a very good place to live. But I was born here and I didn't have to pay for a "entrance ticket". The USA are also a good place to live, but my Brother-in-law had to pay a "ticket" too in there... he's ok now in the US, but he went through very hard times and many times he was on the point of giving up and return to his country.

If you finally make it, you won't regret: just be aware of the price you could have to pay.

Anyway let me say that, If you come to Spain, you're so welcome. Good luck.

#42082 - 03/07/05 09:49 PM Re: I'm 25% Spaniard. How hard would be for me to get working papers?
ceb Offline

Hi MadridMan. You didn't get my post. Yes, the US allows ppl to have dual citizenship...but this is not what I was referring to. The SPANISH government is the one that puts this condition. In order to get THEIR passport they're requesting for Americans to drop their US one...of course this is when you're applying solely under the grandparent amendment that went into effect in -09-JAN-03. I did contact more than one consulate in the US and this was confirmed...I also recall reading on it online. If something has changed from the Spanish government, I'd love to get some info because I am also 1/4 Spanish.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments