Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41878 - 08/16/04 07:12 PM Teaching English in Southern Spain
lalunaprincess Offline

Loc: Calgary Canada
Hola Amigos!

My husband and I are looking at teaching english in Southern part of Spain. In a warm climate we were thinking perhaps Malaga or even the Islands. Are there alot of opportunities in that area? And are living expenses reasonable food,apartments etc. Another concern of mine is it worth it for us to have our Tesol certificate would it increase our chances and pay. One last thing I've heard through the grape vine that alot of North Americans work illegally. Being that we are Canadian what are my odds in being deported. These are just a few concerns, if anyone has any info or advice for me I am open for suggestions and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
La luna princess
on this

#41879 - 08/16/04 08:11 PM Re: Teaching English in Southern Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi there!

Canadian, United Statesen, Mexican, African, it's all the same. You won't be able to legally work in Spain unless you're a European Union citizen OR unless you're offered a work visa. I cannot recommend nor suggest you break the law and work illegally. Don't do it.

If you want to teach English in Spain I strongly suggest you visit the Expatriate Café webiste @ http://www.ExpatriateCafe.com . This is a website focused on the United Statesen teaching English in Spain but the same rules apply to you too, I'm sure. Check it out. It's LOADED with information and they have a message board there too for these topics.

Keep in mind that southern Spain (and the islands) is where MOST of the Brits go to work/live and THEY can work legally so your competition will be stiff, to say the least.

If possible, you might consider just going for 3-months, using only your visitor visa, and seeing what your chances are and go from there.

Best of luck! Saludos, MadridMan

IMPORTANT UPDATE!!! WOW! eek What a shock!! I now see on the Expatriate Café site that the famed Tracy Shields is no longer operating the website. GUESS WHO IS!!!! GO ON! GUESS!! Our own Chica is half-owner of the new Expatriate Café. Congratulations, Chica!! Read all about the switch-over HERE .

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments