Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41863 - 07/28/04 03:19 AM Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
shelbel70 Offline

Loc: Texas
So, short of transfering over with a multinational firm, it seems pretty much impossible for a US citizen to move to Spain for a year and be legal (and please somebody correct me if I've got that wrong). And now that everyone is scaring me out of trying it illegally, I'm wondering what options I'm left with? I know you can stay in Spain up to 90 days no problem, but haven't I read somewhere that under certain circumstances a person can get permission to increase the length of his/her stay for a few more months? Any thoughts?

Also, a question on jobs. I have an graduate degree, corporate experience and a beginner-to-intermediate understanding of Spanish. I want to visit Spain as a 6-12 month sabbatical from the corporate world, but I wouldn't mind making a little money while I'm there to cover some costs. Besides teaching Engligh, are there any other viable jobs for people who aren't fluent in Spanish? Tour guides? Selling real estate? Anything??

Any guidance is appreciated - I'm getting cross-eyed looking at all the countless websites!

#41864 - 07/30/04 11:10 AM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
What about taking a Spanish class here and getting a student visa? I came over in 2000 without anything, just my paints, love for the country and a determination to live here on money I had in the bank. I returned every six months for about 3 weeks to the US for required symposia at the college I was attending as an independent study student (Vermont College Adult Degree Program), and have never been detained at customs going or coming. Now, after living here for almost four years, I am finally approved to get my residency permit, which should come through in October, then I will be able to get my work permit and start my own business (which I am already in the process of getting set up and ready for when I have my permits). Kind of a "Ready, shoot, aim" approach, but it worked for me. Someone said that 90 per cent of success in life is just showing up. I agree.

People are such Nervous Nellies, I think, way too timid, and it limits the fulfillment of their dreams. Keep your karma clean, make up your mind that you will succeed and watch the doors open. Remember, the doors which remain closed are only that way to direct you to the correct open door, so don't freak out when things don't go exactly as you planned.

Be prepared to fall in love, have the time of your life, watch all your dreams come true and be happier than you ever imagined possible. Now THAT is the attitude to have for success!

I always say that I am the "King of the World." Really, I am Royalty! Not Royalty as in "I'm BETTER than anyone else," but Royalty because I am also "The Richest Man in the World!" Bill Gates is a PAUPER compared to me. Rich in gold? No. . . RICH IN FRIENDS, RICH AS A KING in friends. And, as His Royal Majesty of the Land of Frendship, I welcome everyone into the Nobility!

#41865 - 07/30/04 11:22 AM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
shelbel70 Offline

Thanks for the advice - I like the way you think! I actually have started looking into the student visa route and it seems like a good one. Hope to bump into you in Madrid very soon!

#41866 - 07/30/04 05:17 PM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Let me know when you plan to arrive, we will get together.

#41867 - 08/07/04 03:31 AM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
super lau Offline

Hi

I spent a year studying at Saint Louis University in Madrid, and they were on the lookout for English speakers for a variety of different courses. Granted, it would be teaching, but at least you could teach something in your field. You could possibly just do some teaching aid stuff too..when I left a guy was there in a similar situation to yours - had gotten sick of the corporate world and just moved to Spain. He was looking for work while he was teaching. You can check out job postings for both the school and for other corporate opportunities at http://spain.slu.edu

Hope it helps!
Lau

#41868 - 08/07/04 12:41 PM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Without a Student Visa, you would not be able to get a NIE number from the government. You can't even open a bank account here without a NIE(Equiv of a SSN for Foreigners in Spain). I have needed my NIE for everything from renting a Chalet to Buying a Used Car here. I live in a suburb of Madrid(Majadahonda) and we love it here so far. Had one bump in the road in the 4 months we have been here. Someone tried to steal our US VW Jetta but could not get it started after they drilled the ignition out. If this is where you want to take a year off, I can't think of any place better.

#41869 - 08/10/04 06:40 PM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
shelbel70 Offline

Thanks for that information on SLU, lau - I contacted one of the professors there, so we'll see how it goes!

#41870 - 08/14/04 11:46 PM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
super lau Offline

Hi

I'm glad the information helped. I know many profs there started out with very little or no spanish and are now on their way to being fluent! I wish you luck!

Lau

#41871 - 08/16/04 10:52 AM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
stinkerbell Offline

Loc: Italy
I would be interested in the SLU option also.

I have a graduate degree and corporate experience, actually want to continue on to teaching at a University level. And once acclimatised again I can speak decent spanish (currently running in french and italian mode due to research)

Who are you contacting? And what kind of teaching opportunities were these?

#41872 - 08/20/04 01:20 AM Re: Extended stays and English jobs-please help!
super lau Offline

I think your best bet is to check out the website (posted above) and contact any prof there that is under your speciality. As long as you put something legit in the subject line, you should get a response...the school is super small and the profs are friendly. suerte!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments