Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#41803 - 05/12/04 08:16 AM Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Dommo Offline

Loc: London
Hi all,

I am currently in search of a job in Madrid. I work in IT and have basically stuck to applying through websites for jobs I have seen but I haven't had much of a response (ie none!). My Spanish isn't too good but I have been applying for English language jobs. I'm thinking the only way to improve my Spanish considerably is to live there, hence my employment mission.

I was wondering what sort of other jobs are knocking about that I would be likely to get given my dodgy Spanish. I live in UK so visa etc is not an issue but one thing I don't want to do is throw in my job here and then have to spend a few months umemployed. I would need at least some work to keep me in my bad habits.

I guess basically what I am asking is what are my chances of getting any job? smile

#41804 - 05/12/04 12:50 PM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Dommo Offline

Cheers for editing my post MM but I actually mean *ANY* job smile

I'm getting to the point of thinking that at IT job just isn't realistic without having a good level of Spanish. I am thinking of just doing anything for 6 months or so to learn the language better and then maybe go back into IT. Should have made it clearer. smile

#41805 - 05/12/04 08:07 PM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Dommo, you have UK citizenship so at least YOU'RE legally able to go and find work in Spain. Good for you.

Keep in mind that there are thousands of IT graduates in Spain who cannot find work in their field because so many tech jobs have dissolved as is the case everywhere. SO, unless you're "highly qualified" AND willing to take a salary at about 50-60% what you may be making in the UK, it'll be tough for you, buddy. AND evey tougher if you don't speak Spanish well.

Sorry! But good luck. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41806 - 05/13/04 08:13 AM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Hi Dommo. What about doing a TEFL and teaching English until you feel more confident about your Spanish? I know there is still a big demand for qualified (or otherwise) native English speaking teachers. You may even be able in your area to do a TEFL certificate part-time or if not it is usually doable in 4 weeks full-time either in the UK or Spain. When you say you'd do anything, do you mean things like cleaning, kitchen work, shelf stacking etc? You may like to send your CV off to the big Spanish employment agencies like Manpower but it would have to be in Spanish of course. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you do take the plunge.

#41807 - 05/13/04 09:47 AM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Dommo Offline

Hi Bricamb,

I had thought about doing the TEFL course as I know someone in Madrid who already does this. TEFL isn't something I want to take lightly though. If I do pursue that it would be a career change as opposed to just a stopgap - and yes I'd be perfectly happy for that stopgap to be factory/manual work etc.

Cheers for the suggestions. Manpower here I come!

#41808 - 05/14/04 08:31 AM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Hope it goes well for you!

#41809 - 05/16/04 08:17 PM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
To be able to better help you, you need to be more specific with your background and experience. IT job is just not explanatory enough.....

#41810 - 05/18/04 05:53 AM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Dommo Offline

Hi Nativo,

Really my question was about getting a job within any field of work given my basic level of Spanish - ie do a lot of the people who up sticks and move to Madrid to work in bars etc already speak Spanish fluently?

As for my current role. I am 2nd/3rd line support for an IT reseller so mostly MS/Cisco. I am about to complete my CCNA and am looking to move more into networking and less of the MS. I realise I am not of a high enough level in my industry to walk into a similar job in another country hence my willingness to do pretty much any job until I have a better grasp of spanish. Also not sitting in a darkened room infront of computers all day might have a positive effect on my life wink

#41811 - 05/20/04 06:42 AM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
jonnyx Offline

Loc: Fuengirola (Málaga), Spain
If you can relocate to Costa del Sol then I might have something for you.
Take a look at:
http://www.costadelsol.st/marketing

#41812 - 05/20/04 11:01 AM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Dommo Offline

Thanks for the link jonny but I'm looking at Madrid really rather than the south.

#41813 - 09/19/04 12:35 PM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
Loc Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
After just reading this, we are definately in the same boat. I too have also been considering taking a less glorified job if it gets me there. I'm at a decent level in the IT field as it is with a number of skills already. But it would not be beyond me to do manual labor work or anything less desirable if it means I can live in Spain and support myself. Once there my Spanish will improve dramatically without a doubt and over time I can find a way back into my field of choice.

The difficult part for me is the fact that I'm a US Citizen, so I still have the visa issue...

-Loc

#41814 - 09/22/04 11:08 AM Re: Madrid: Slave available! ;) (for IT jobs)
SimonC Offline

Loc: Madrid - Spain
Hey guys. Just reading this i remember when i was in a similar situation.

Basically, i think if you're an engineer, Teacher or in the IT profession, then you stand more chance of getting a job.

In terms of IT, it really does depend on what you do in IT, because IT is very generic. For example, if you do UNIX, or SAP stuff, then already there's things there waiting, but if you're a helpdesk person, or a webpage writer, then you'll have to either look really hard, or speak Spanish well.

I was lucky because I use to be an IT Project Manager in ERP and database systems, so i landed a job at IBM here in Madrid (current job). Have a look at their website, because there are loads of English speaking jobs here. www.ibm.co.uk or .es

To put it bluntly... Speak Spanish!
if im allowed to place a link then.. www.infojobs.net .. if not, then you wont see that link because Madridman has taken it out. laugh
Need any more advise on IT in Madrid, then mail me.

Simon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments