Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41714 - 04/06/04 12:42 PM Average Salary in Spain??
spain4580 Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello from Colorado! I'm so happy that I found this message board. I had a question for anyone who might be able to help me. I am a 24 yr old engineer in the US. Recently I have been thinking of moving to Barcelona or Tarragona. I pretty much have a job lined up but I am not sure if the salary is enough to live comfortably. I would be making much less than what I make here. Just wondering if making 22,000Euros is sufficient to buy a home and live comfortably in Spain...or at least without going hungry...that's always nice wink

Muchas Gracias!!
Cristina

#41715 - 04/13/04 04:26 PM Re: Average Salary in Spain??
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Depends on your lifestyle, how many people you support, etc. Sounds like enough if you live in one of the outlying communities. House and apartment prices are sky high, and going up about 15% each year, and rents keep going up too. If you want to buy, the interest rates are about 3% to 4%, I think, so it can be done.

I recommend you check out Alcobendas, Colmenar Viejo, Hoyo de Manzanares and maybe Guadlix de la Sierra. There are also many more communities to the east and north-west of Madrid you might like to check out. They have public transport. Driving is difficult (not to mention dangerous), parking is next to impossible, although parking in a garage is often easier. I have many kilometers of experience apartment and house hunting here and would be glad to give you some advice, but the best advice is to get a car and cruise around looking for for rent or sale signs ("Alquiler" or "Venta"). You can also check out Segundo Mano, which has a huge listing of the same.

You can pick up a decent used car, usually directly from the owner, but get it checked out. We bought our Citroen Saxo from our landlords for about 3000€ and it has been a great car.

You will be way, way ahead since you have a job offer. You will be able to get Residency and Work permits without hassle. Lucky you. You will be making more than twice as much as the average Juan(a). Personally it sounds like a great deal. Do they have any openings for a Systems Analyst/Programmer? (Seriously!)

Good Luck, and Bienvenidos a Madrid.

#41716 - 04/13/04 04:29 PM Re: Average Salary in Spain??
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
OOPS! Silly me. Madrid is the most expensive place in Spain to live, Barcelona is about the second, so the deal looks even sweeter. If you can live in Barcelona, I envy you. Again, if the company you are working for has a position for an SA or Programmer, I'll move!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments