Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41613 - 11/15/03 10:02 PM Retired in Spain
sobras Offline

Loc: EEUU
My wife and I will be retiring in about 5 or 6 years. I'm only 51 now. She's a Spanish citizen. What might my chances be of working part-time? Will documentation be any easier for me because my wife is a Spanish Citizen?

#41614 - 11/16/03 04:56 AM Re: Retired in Spain
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
Hi if your a EU citezon all you need to get is a nif number which is very easy to get for the city tax office. in the past i have found it hard to get work away from the tourist areas but i have seen people starting their business such as husband to rent and there doing well. you may find a job teaching english in some of the cities and a TEFL cert would help with this if you decided to do that. best of luck

#41615 - 11/16/03 07:24 AM Re: Retired in Spain
mariacristi Offline

Loc: melbourne
"husband to rent" confused

Can you rent them in Spain ??? wink

#41616 - 11/17/03 07:55 AM Re: Retired in Spain
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
yeah its where you become a handyman type person for people mainly people who dont have husband doing odd jobs such as putting up shelves etc etc.!!

#41617 - 11/17/03 01:25 PM Re: Retired in Spain
sobras Offline

Loc: EEUU
I'm a citizen of the USA, so I have no European citizenship to fall back on. I'm told that there is no dual citizenship available, officially, for U.S. nationals. Were I to get a Spanish passport I would be required to give up my U.S. citizenship, unless something new develops. What a dilemma.

#41618 - 11/17/03 03:31 PM Re: Retired in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Sobras,
I believe because your spouse is a Spanish national you are able to live and work in Spain without relinquishing your US citizenship.

#41619 - 11/17/03 05:09 PM Re: Retired in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
sobras, I am a US citizen married to a Spaniard and living here in Spain. Because my husband is Spanish, I was able to apply for residency as "comunitaria"...giving me the same rights as any other EU community citizens. I work here legally as a resident of Spain. Because I have maintained my US citizenship, I am required to still file my taxes each year.

When you and your wife move here to retire, simply apply for residency. Pay a visit to the closest Spanish consulate and they will gladly fill you in on all the details.

Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments