Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41569 - 08/05/03 12:52 PM Teaching English pay rates & other Q's
Barney Offline

Loc: England
Hi all, im new to MM'site but already i can see how informative it is. My wife and i are British and considering moving to the Cadiz area next year. My wife speaks good Spanish and i speak a little but fully intend to throw myself into learning the language once there (although i have started some learning CD's already).

We will both have Trinity TESOL certs and will be hoping to work as TEFL teachers. Could anyone give me an idea of rates of pay to expect, number of hours to expect if working for a school. Also i had some ideas about doing some private lessons. What would be an average rate to charge a pupil and where would be best to advertise. I also thought about combining English lessons with some basic web design, does anyone think that, that would work in Spain. Id appreciate any feedback.

Oh and one final thing, i currently have a small Batik art business (Batik=Asain art done with bright colours on cotton using dyes and wax). Basically i sell pictures on my arts and crafts stall. Are there any arts and crafts markets or indeed any market where you could attempt to sell hand crafted art in the area. I know there is a big market in Fuengirola (excuse the spelling if that is incorect) but does it have crafty stuff and what journey time in a car would it be from Cadiz/Pto De Santa Maria area? Are there any city crafty markets in Jerez, Cadiz or Seville? I realise there are a lot of questions there but if anyone has a bit of info about any aspect of the above we would be grateful. I have lots more to ask (schools for our boy etc) but will post them at a later date. Look forward to any replys and if anyone out there might even have or know of any jobs going (not just TEFL) we would love to hear from you. Best Regards, excellent Forum. Barney

#41570 - 08/06/03 03:03 PM Re: Teaching English pay rates & other Q's
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi Barney,

I would first recommend that you learn as much Spanish as possible, before arriving....if you have to, postpone your trip until you have at least an intermediate level of Spanish (i.e. being able to speak comfortably about simple topics with other Spaniards).

Though you don't have to speak Spanish in order to get an English teaching job, it will really help you whilst in Spain and your life will be much easier.

Regarding teaching English, I don't know how much exactly you could earn in Cadiz. I dont think it is one of the best markets for teaching English in Spain.

In Madrid, you can expect to earn 12-14 Euro teaching at an academy, and about 15 Euro teaching private classes.

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions regarding your art, as I have no experience with that.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!

#41571 - 08/08/03 01:42 PM Re: Teaching English pay rates & other Q's
Barney Offline

Loc: England
Thanks Endrigo, appreciate your advise. I will certainly try to pick up more Spanish before going to live in Spain. Having said that i know that once immersed in the language i will bulid on my knowledge and pick up more Spanish and hopefully quicker than learning from a book. The book looks interesting. Barney

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments