Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41526 - 06/02/03 09:42 AM Have opinions on these programs???
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Well I have done more research! I want to go back to spain and work, live cheaply for the Summer of 2004 (I know its way far off still, but i figured id better start early on this one!).
Here are some progrmas I have found.

-Aupair, through BEST program
http://www.bestprograms.org/
-Teaching english work study
http://www.canterburyenglish.com/
-Interning in Spain
http://www.adelantespain.com/
-Summer camp worker
http://www.goabbeyroad.com/employment.htm

Im still looking for more, so any more ideas would be great!!! Has anybody had any expereince with these programs or similar ones? I think all are legal, which is important to me. A couple are actually companies based in the usa, yet you would work in spain. Thanks for any input!!!!
Kelly laugh

#41527 - 06/02/03 10:40 PM Re: Have opinions on these programs???
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
One more question I forgot about. A lot of these programs include at least 4 weeks of intensive language study upon arrival. Iv already spent an entire semester, and summer living in spain. Does anybody know if there is a way to get out of this part and knock of some of the cost, or any programs WITHOUT this part?????

#41528 - 06/03/03 08:59 AM Re: Have opinions on these programs???
Espe3 Offline

Kelar, you should ask them. Sometimes yes they can waive the language course- you may have to take a test but its one of those things. They'll never advertise that part... same with housing if you don't need it. Sometimes they'll discount it if you don't need it and sometimes they won't.

Good luck!

#41529 - 12/23/03 10:41 AM Re: Have opinions on these programs???
Madrid Insider Offline

Loc: Madrid
More important than which TEFL / CELTA or other teacher training program you choose is the timing of when come to Spain and set out on your initial job search.
I have just learned recently from a couple of UK citizens who should have been able to get contracts and make 20 to 25 hours a week and make around 1000 euros a month each that they were too late for the good contracts and that they too were running around Madrid and finding it hard to make ends meet even though they were both legal and certified.
All of the training centers care about you and will try to help you find work and even hire you first if they have jobs, but even they can not help you if nothing is going on, so no matter which one you pick be sure to consider the time of when you will come to Spain better and be sure to bring enough money in savings to live off of for at least 3 months to a year while you catch on in Spain and are able to make enough hours/money to support yourself.
Rocco.
www.spainstorage.com
Short & long term storage for your stuff in the center of Spain with optional pick up & delivery services.

#41530 - 12/23/03 11:41 AM Re: Have opinions on these programs???
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Understand there is a need for Business English - anyone know the qualifications / requirements other than a TFL certificate? Will considerable experience in the business world compensate for not having a teaching degree? And, if so, can anyone recommend the 'best' source of that TFL?

Chica - know you are up-to-date and experienced in this - your input will be appreciated. Anyone else?

#41531 - 12/23/03 05:00 PM Re: Have opinions on these programs???
Madrid Insider Offline

Loc: Madrid
This teacher training that various people offer is called TEFL - Teaching English as a Foreign Language.
It is more of a confidence booster / builder and organizational tool to help you be more prepared and efficient when teaching.
Yes. Experience teaching business English or having an awareness of what would be considered Business jargon helps a lot.

There are at least 2 kinds of teacher training in Madrid. TEFL and CELTA. ITC, EBC, Canterbury, Windsor / Trinity offer the TEFL. I am not sure who else.
International House offers CELTA.
Other schools out here are Advanced Institute, but I am not sure what they do.
You can also check www.tefl.com for some more info.

ITC - Based out of Prague. Have Training Centers in Prague, Barcelona and Madrid. Only guarantee jobs in Eastern Europe. Offer job guidance everywhere else.

EBC - Based in Madrid. Grew out of their already existing Language Teaching Service. Offer job guidance. Will put you at the top of the list when the parent company is hiring language teachers.

Canterbury - Based in Madrid. Grew out of their already existing language academy. Used to only guarantee jobs and therefore limit the number of students, but have recently added a 2nd more cost effective option where you can just get the certificate and move on or find your own better jobs after.

Note: In Madrid there is so much of a demand year round for English teachers both legal or not that you will do better finding your own jobs for 10 euros to 15 euros an hour instead of the 9 euros an hour that anyone can guarantee you.
The rest I am not sure about, but would like to know more.
Windsor / Trinity - ?
International House - CELTA ?
Advanced Institute - TEFL ?
Rocco.
www.spainstorage.com
Short & long term storage for your stuff in the center of Spain with optional pick up & delivery services.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments