Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#41325 - 10/21/02 09:43 PM Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Espe3 Offline

So, an idea I'm toying with.. I'm into beading and can make some pretty cool stuff (yes, even if I do say so myself!)
And was thinking... mmmm if I really want to go to Spain.. even for 3 months... would be nice to have SOME KIND of income.. so, does anyone happen to know- this is probably for those of you IN spain at the present time- if you can just set up shop, or if you need a permit or what to sell there?!
Otherwise I may just hit the Retiro!
And no... I've really thought about this, I am seriously curious about this and AM contemplating it!
If I have success there, I may even hit the feria de artesania one day! smile

#41326 - 10/22/02 10:42 AM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Okay - one more question along similar lines for those in Spain.

On the side (not my real job)I am a photographer -and all the photos are of Spain. Because of good friends and a lot of luck, I've ended up with a couple of photography shows based on having had some of my work shown in a gallery in Harvard Square.

Somewhere I seem to remember that residency rules and regulations are different for artists - ergo, what constitutes being classified as an artist and how would I go about persuing this avenue if I'm correct with my first statement?

Also, anyone have any ideas about how one sells photos - from art gallerys to the Rastro?

In advance - thanks everyone who might be able to answer any part of these questions!!!!!

#41327 - 10/22/02 10:53 AM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Espe3 Offline

Puna, right you are. I have to review the rules on the visa though... I know I have to have a certain amount of money to prove that I can afford to stay and need to make sure how much that is... but it would be nice to know that I could actually sell some stuff in the Rastro!

Looks like you and I are on a quest!

P.D. I love photography also by the way! I've got some photos of the paseo de recoletos taken in the wee hours of the morning, before people, before traffic...do you have a website set up? That may help get your name and art out there!

#41328 - 10/22/02 02:05 PM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

With all the nonsense going on in my life plus the miserable job situation in the northeast - ergo the impending move to Charlotte the first week of November - of course not!

I can write, edit and produce websites - that's no different that than writing, editing and producing commercials (except not as many fun people) but I don't know how to create a site without techies, people that know HMTL and all the rest of that stuff. Technically I'm in the dark - the person who pleads for help from the technical staff on a regular basis!

#41329 - 10/22/02 04:41 PM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Espe3 Offline

Well, no time like the present to learn! Someone bought me a book on it once... try html for dummies or something like that. Or ask a friend who knows about that stuff to help you out... between the two of you, you could come up with something good for sure.

But lets not get off topic, I'm serious about the Rastro! I'd like information on it.. you never know!

Hey Puna! Wouldn't it be funny if we ended setting up shop together?! A kind of ecletic artsy shop... maybe somewhere to also have some refreshments....

#41330 - 10/22/02 09:06 PM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Doesn't one have to buy/rent a "space" at El Rastro? Doesn't one have to apply for a kind of license to sell things at their given spot?? This is what I always thought but maybe I'm wrong. I've only gone once and it looks like a way for someone with something of worth to sell - to sell!! Good luck!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41331 - 10/22/02 09:42 PM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Espe3 Offline

ok, i got some new information...
Yes, you do need a permit (which,ok no biggie, I figured)
However.... apparently there is a list...and that list is in the thousands... of people wanting permits! :o when someone drops out, a permit goes to the next one on the list.. and so on! :o
So... back to the drawing board! :p

#41332 - 10/23/02 12:20 PM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

So much for the Rastro. Knew you needed a permit - didn't realize how long the waiting list was.
But, back to my other question:

Quote:
Somewhere I seem to remember that residency rules and regulations are different for artists - ergo, what constitutes being classified as an artist and how would I go about persuing this avenue if I'm correct with my first statement?
Anyone with any knowledge of this?

Espe3 - who knows - perhaps we can find a corner in the Retiro! wink

#41333 - 10/23/02 03:03 PM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Madridman is right. You need a license to sell things in the Rastro and it's almost impossible to get one.

You may try to get one for other flea markets such as the one near to Estrecho subway station or at the Plaza de las Comendadoras but I guess it's still quite difficult to get it.

An exhibition at a bar/pub or even at a small gallery art maybe easier to get. I guess you just have to contact the owner of the bar to find out about the conditions to show/sell your work.

#41334 - 10/23/02 03:14 PM Re: Working in Madrid's Rastro!
Espe3 Offline

Antonio, could you? That would be good to know!
Thanks! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments