Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41316 - 10/12/02 05:17 PM Advice wanted
steveb Offline

Loc: London, England
Hi, My partner and I are thinking of moving to Spain at the begining of next year. We are thinking of moving to either Malaga- Costa Del Sol or Costa Blanca. We will both be looking for work once there and would be greatful for any information on how easy or not it is to find work in Spain. I would be looking for building work, renovation and maintenance. I would also look for work in fields like Estate Agent, Office work. My partner would be looking for work in an office, hotel, bar, waitressing. We will be purchasing a home cash so we were wondering how much roughly we would need to live on a month/week?. At the present time neither of us speak Spanish although we hope to learn this if we move!.
Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

#41317 - 10/13/02 08:19 AM Re: Advice wanted
madsue Offline

Loc: Canary Islands, Spain
Hi steveb
I am off to Malaga area in a couple of weeks time to look at housing inland. I have found the site www.andalucia.com very helpful. I´ll post on my return!!! How many times have you been to Andalucia?

Perhaps a small suggestion? Start learning Spanish now!!! I do know that English is not widely spoken outside the main tourist resorts in Southern Spain, which for some reason, Brits find strange!!!! confused rolleyes

#41318 - 10/13/02 12:44 PM Re: Advice wanted
Espe3 Offline

Malaga, and the costa del sol, any tourist area is expensive. So be prepared for that.
As the language thing, take the recommendation the previous poster sent! Start learning as much as you can now!
As far as work, well, things are getting much harder, even having an EU passport. And since you said that your not strong in Spanish... Even for construction/bar work. As far as real estate, you'll have to qualify or take a test over there to sell just like you would in the U.S.-I don't know how it is in England, but I doubt that if you have a realtors license, it would be accepted from country to country in the EU, since each one has its own laws and rules. Look into that. However, I think that if you knock on enough doors, eventually something will come up. But know that its not guarenteed. Also, summer time is the biggest time for anything over there on the coast, so during the year it may be even harder to find employment.

Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments