Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#41295 - 10/11/02 03:47 PM Re: marriage and health care issues
laural Offline

Sarita, thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I think I'm through investigating my options & that we'll get married here (have posted another message on this). To answer your questions about how I got here etc., I came here to do my doctoral research (history) and met my boyfriend only a few months after arriving. We had a few years when I was here for six months, then in the States for another half-year, etc until finally I moved back here to finish writing and I'm still at it- hope to be done by May or June. As for work..don't think I actually have a plan when I say I'd settle for a job a field "related to language or culture." I wish! Sadly, the job market is tight enough here for me to wonder whether we will have to end up moving back to the States at some point just so that both of us can have careers. Still, I'm an optimist and I tend to think that if you look hard enough and are flexible enough (and can afford to wait when necessary) something rewarding will come through. We have very little extra money at the moment, but do have my partner's steady income to rely on, which should make it easier for me while I'm searching for work. It IS important to me that my work be rewarding, but I enjoy working in social and not-so-social environments and so am open to a lot of different types of jobs...for family reasons, I'd ideally like to find a job that will allow me to spend time in the States now and then during the year, and for a longer period of time every summer. Which is why I think I might have to end up working for myself. As I say, my first thoughts were to try setting up a translation business, freelance, or to get a job for a reputable one (like Berlitz), since I've done lots of translating here & there seems to be enough demand. But that's not really much of a career unless you're working with very interesting kinds of texts, and since most of the ones that need translating into English are pretty basic I'd no doubt be happier teaching either at a university or at a private/public institution- maybe a foreign exchange program?) (Not esl- I hate teaching esl and am not good at it, either!). I've also thought of research, consulting, culture coaching, or doing some kind of cultural preparation/training for busineses that require this kind of thing for employees who relocate to Spain- I have a friend who's done that in Germany & she enjoyed it, but don't know how one would go about finding this kind of job here in Spain. Let me know what you know about this, I'm interested. (I didn't think you were being nosy to ask about my plans-- it definitely helps to know what others are doing, so ask away).

What about you? How did you end up marring a sevillano?

keep in touch and let me know if you want to get together while you're in Seville this winter.

saludos,

#41296 - 10/11/02 04:18 PM Re: marriage and health care issues
nevado Offline

Have you considered teaching for the University of Maryland on the U.S. Naval Base in Rota? Let me know if you'd like contact info.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments