Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41282 - 10/03/02 01:13 PM Moving back to Madrid-need advice!
Candela Offline

Loc: MADRID!!!!!
Hola, I am looking for some very general advice. I lived in Madrid for three years and left late in 1999. I worked freelance teaching Toefl and Gmat and also had lots of corporate conversation classes. I also wrote for a local english mag and basically had a really amazing life there. The problem is that I was illegal. It never posed a problem for me with regards to day to day things:banking, apartment, gastos, work. But there was always a fear so I left. Problem is Madrid won't leave my heart nor my mind and I have to return. My question: How much has the environment changed re. illegal americans? Is it still pretty easy to find work and lodging?
Thanks for your help!

#41283 - 10/03/02 03:36 PM Re: Moving back to Madrid-need advice!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I can't really understand why USA and Spain haven't already signed a work agreement. There would not be many people going there or coming here, but the people who decided to work abroad would have not this stupid legal problems.

Between two developed and friendly countries this have no sense.

Fernando

#41284 - 10/03/02 11:52 PM Re: Moving back to Madrid-need advice!
Espe3 Offline

Its gotten tougher. The truth is, if you were looking to make it a more perm situation, you missed the boat it appears a few times. Around the time you left there were several programs implemented to get illegals to be legal... missmadrid was one of those americans who was on top of the latest immigration news and actually was able to get her papers. I know there are more posters on here who will be of some help. Not knowing any of your background (if you have a spanish parent or not) there isn't much I can tell you- check out other threads on this topic, you'll get tons of information as least on what's been going on. It also looks like there is going to be another change soon in the immigration law, I'm trying to find out more on it, something should come out this month.
Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments