Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41259 - 09/26/02 04:15 PM Hostal Owners out there??
Amanda Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Buenas!
I was wondering if anyone out there owns, or knows someone who owns, a hostal in Spain. My dream is to move to spain in a few years, equipped with lots of money, a business partner and all the experience I need to run my own hostal. I just wanted to hear from others to see how its done, what the life is like etc. Anyone have any advice/resources or know someone I can talk to??
Thanks so much!
Amanda

#41260 - 09/27/02 08:54 AM Re: Hostal Owners out there??
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
kind of a broad question...do you have any background in hospitality? you're going to need it...
your best bet is to become VERY well versed in hotel/restaurant management...acheive a strong level of fluency in spanish...and start cultivating business contacts in spain...preferrably an attorney...
openning an inn in the states, and surviving, is tough enough...doing it in a foreign country must be sisyphean...
good luck to you amanda...keep us informed of your progress

#41261 - 09/27/02 12:26 PM Re: Hostal Owners out there??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've OFTEN thought about operating a hostel (called "hostal" in Spanish) in Madrid. The problem is the financing, the patience, the dedication, and the work ethic. Okay, I think I have all these things EXCEPT the financing but I've talked to a number of hostel owners (won't mentioned with ones but at least 3 have told me..) that it's NOT the business to get into if you want any kind of normal life. That it's a 24-hour, 7-day/week, 365 days per year job. Taking vacations, getting a full night's sleep, or simply going out for dinner is almost impossible. One CAN make money if you're dedicated to it but it's not a good business to have if you want any kind of social life or have some hope to live the easy life.

Also, I urge you to get all the necessary permits and licenses BEFORE opening your doors. I know of SEVERAL lodging establishments (none of which are "hostales", thank goodness) which DO NOT have licenses to operate as a lodging estlablishment and so, of course, obviously, thiis ILLEGAL.

I wish you all the luck in the world, Amanda!! I'd consider taking you up on an offer to assist you in a full service "Hostal MadridMan" venture if I didn't value my free time as much as I do.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41262 - 09/27/02 07:14 PM Re: Hostal Owners out there??
that_girl Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi - I'm a new member, but I've been reading the board for a while.

This is an interesting post for me because my boyfriend in Madrid is working with three business partners right now on opening a hostal or something like it there. They hope to have it open by the summer 2004. I will contribute to this conversation over time if I can. Right now they have only begun planning, gathering funds and thinking up ideas for location, design, that kind of thing. So I don't yet know how difficult it will be. But they are determined.

I have worked for a very nice bed & breakfast and a few hotels, so I know a little about running them. It has been a long-time dream of mine to run a small hotel at some point in life, even though it is a lot of work.

#41263 - 09/29/02 06:37 PM Re: Hostal Owners out there??
Kyoko Offline

Loc: Brazil
Hi, Amanda, like your idea!
Actually, I want to do the same since I came back from Buenos Aires, Argentina. But not there, I was also thinking of Spain. laugh
Unfortunately I don't know anyone who owns a hostel (hostal) in Spain, but you can try at www.hostels.com . You will find hostels from all around the world, and the emails to contact them. Maybe you can exchange ideas, why not?
Wish you luck!

oops! forgot to tell you there's a forum at that site (the hostels.com), where you may find people able to help you, ok?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments