Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41247 - 09/21/02 08:37 PM Madrid:Job & Lodging?
Alexander Offline

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Hi guys!

First of all I would like to say that this site is really great.
I'll be taking a postgrad course at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid in November, but I still don't have a place to stay. Any suggestions?
I am Brazilian, but I've got the EUROPEAN PASSPORT(Portuguese)...I guess it helps when looking for a jog, doesn't it? I've got a degree in English and some experience in the USA (courses). I've been teaching English for about 5 years here in Brazil.

I've got US$2,500 to spend 6 months in Madrid. Is that enough? That should be paying for food and accomodation. I do really need your opinions because I haven't got any idea how expensive life is in Madrid... Is 2,500 dollars enough for 6 months ( November - April ).

Please have you got any suggestions for accomodation around the Complutense de Madrid ?
What about food? How much does one usually spend on it a month?
What's the exchange rate US DOLLARS to EURO?

Hope to hear from you all.

Thanks a lot,
Alex

#41248 - 09/24/02 08:52 AM Re: Madrid:Job & Lodging?
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
Alex, Sorry to say this but I think you would really be struggling to get by on $2500 for a six month stay in Madrid. However, I am sure you could supplement your income easily by giving English classes or other part-time work if its available. Prices in Madrid have risen over the past few years and costs there can be comparable to any large Northern European city. Is there any way you could take more money with you?

#41249 - 09/24/02 02:40 PM Re: Madrid:Job & Lodging?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Alex --

I agree with Bricamb in that $2500 USD is really tight for 6 months. That only allows you $416 a month for living expenses. I am no expert in the rental market in Madrid, but would venture to say that a shared flat, or a room in a house will cost you around $300 a month if not more.

The plus is that you do have English teaching experience and a European passport. It will make you eligible for many jobs. However, don´t be disappointed to find that many employers (particularly for business English) want native English speakers. There are still plenty of opportunities for you to teach here, especially if you take it seriously. You can expect to earn anywhere from 9-15€ an hour teaching English.

The exchange rate for the Euro to Dollar is practically the same...it fluctuates by a mere 15 centimos from time to time. So just think that $1=1€. It will make the conversions easier for you.

#41250 - 09/26/02 10:17 PM Re: Madrid:Job & Lodging?
Alexander Offline

Dear BRICAMB and CHICA,
Thank you very much for your advice.

I have had some contacts with 2 or 3 English Language Institutes and I have already set an interview for November. I do really hope I can get a job as an English teacher. Have you got any other suggestions concerning jobs? I was thinking about hotels, touristic spots....you know I speak English, Portuguese and Spanish, so I believe these places might be easier to get something.

As for accomodation, do you know anything about EASO residence ? They charge 270 euros / month, that seems to be a good price in Madrid, isn't it?

Well that's it!

Thanks a lot for your help.
Take care!
Alexander

#41251 - 09/27/02 03:47 AM Re: Madrid:Job & Lodging?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Alex, INFO JOBS has always been a great resource for teaching English for me. Email your CV to me. reb_gaspar@yahoo.com.

#41252 - 09/27/02 04:22 PM Re: Madrid:Job & Lodging?
Alexander Offline

Dear Chica,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I'll be sending you my CV this weekend.

Kind regards,

Alexander

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments