Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41218 - 08/29/02 10:00 AM physician seeking work in spain
lamar Offline

Loc: hillside, il usa
hi all!
i am a pediatrician trained and licensed in the USA and am interested in moving to spain and working in my profession. does anyone out there know if this is feasable and is so, where and how do i begin?
thanks for any information!!
lamar

#41219 - 08/31/02 06:10 PM Re: physician seeking work in spain
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi Lamar,

First of all, you need to have your degree convalidated so that it is valid in Spain. Check out Consejería de Educación en EEUU y Canadá for more information.

Then, I guess you have to be "colegiado" (registered?) at a Colegio Oficial de Médicos. Here you'll find a list of them.

I'm not sure if you have to pass the MIR exam (I think all Spanish doctors have to pass it) to be able to work here. In any case, I guess you need a work contract before entering Spain to get a work permit. But I don't know much about these matters so I'll leave it to others.

Good luck.

#41220 - 09/01/02 07:51 AM Re: physician seeking work in spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Lamar --

You might also want to check out Médicos Sin Fronteras which is a non-profit which helps provide medical assistance around the world. I don´t know about paid employment, but there may be an opportunity for you there.

How is your Spanish? That is something else that you want to consider before making the leap. If you aren´t too confident in your language skills, you might want to concentrate your efforts in the costal areas...particularly along the southern Valencian coast as there are many communities of English-speaking-only expats (Brits, Americans, etc.).

Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments