Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41193 - 08/06/02 12:02 PM Tutoring Enlgish
emilyka Offline

Loc: Pamplona
Hi-

I will be moving to Pamplona at on the 29th to begin my university studies. I would like to do a little english tutoring on the side, but don't really know where to begin. First of all, what kind of of advertisement should I make? Is there anything that someone with very limited experience should take into consideration? I realize that this is kind of broad, but that's just how clueless I am about where to begin. What kind of fees should I charge? I don't want to end up with a couple of students and then just be like "Ok, now you guys tell me what to do..." Also, for long term purposes, what kind of certification would it be good to have. Any suggestions at all would be helpful.

#41194 - 08/06/02 01:18 PM Re: Tutoring Enlgish
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
If you are interested in making a little money, then this suggestion would not be ideal...
but if you are interested in improving your own spanish, why not try a conversation exchange?
I just got back from studying in Spain and really enjoyed this! I posted signs around the University, and got a lot of feedback. I ended up with about 3 exchanges. We would just meet somewhere (usually a little cafe, or bar), and just talk. The first hour, in English, and the 2nd hour in Spanish for me. I ended up making 3 great friends, in addition to improving my spanish, and their English. Just an idea, good luck! smile

#41195 - 08/06/02 02:25 PM Re: Tutoring Enlgish
emilyka Offline

Kelar-

Thanks for the suggestion, but your advice doesn't really apply to me. I should have clarified in my post that I already am fluent in Spanish. I'm going to be studying as a normal student in the Universidad de Navarra. I was an exchange student in high school in Pamplona so I already know people there (and have my very own mozo navarrico wink ), unfortunately I also know that living in Pamplona is a little on the expensive side. I don't theoretically need to work since my parents will be supporting me, but it would be nice not to be too big of a mooch.

#41196 - 08/06/02 02:50 PM Re: Tutoring Enlgish
tonytorero Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain via Kansas City,...
I live in Madrid not Pamplona, but here we have an inexpensive local newspaper called ' Segunda Mano ' where you can get classified ads from for people both looking for teachers as well as teachers looking for classes, exchanges, etc. As a private individual, you can place an ad looking for teaching work on your own for free as well as calling around to look for work if you like.

I would imagine that Segunda Mano will either have a regional version of the paper for that area or there will be a similar publication offering the same or a similar service. Once you arrive, you should stop by a local newsstand and 'informarte.'

Pues eso...Best of luck! laugh

#41197 - 08/06/02 03:21 PM Re: Tutoring Enlgish
emilyka Offline

Thanks torero-

The Segunda Mano thing is a good idea. I don't remember if they have it in Navarra, but "me suena de algo." I could probably english professors at the university. Thanks a bunch,

Emily

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments