Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41132 - 05/30/02 08:30 PM Living ilegally
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
Hello all,

If anyone is not afraid to share...I'm wondering how many are living with expired visas etc. I have talked to many many people and they say that it is pretty much the only way (i already know about the pre trip work contract etc) to do it for short stays 6mo- yr.

Any comments??

#41133 - 05/30/02 11:00 PM Re: Living ilegally
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi ChrisS! I just searched this forum for you (see SEARCH link in upper righthand corner of all pages) and found the following, previous, relative threads which will help you:

" The consequences of being an illegal worker? ", " american in Spain (working illegally) ", " teaching and living illegally ", & " (Illegally) Teaching English In Spain ".

Anyone else have anything to add? I can't recommend living/working illegally in Spain or anyplace else in the world although I realize A LOT of people do it. I wouldn't though. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41134 - 06/03/02 04:59 AM Re: Living ilegally
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
Muchisimas gracias MM por la informacion! Pero siento mucho mas nervioso ahora despues de leer los "threads". My buddy and I are still going to go through with it but I will talk with more people and with the school that I'm going to to make sure that we will be safe. I personally know an american spanish and part-time english teacher from my university that has been living in spain for two years and just recieved his official paperwork after much delay.

The ten-year ban kind of scares me. when I went last year security and checks were rather lax and we only had single entry visas that were never checked but I dont know what it is like now post 9/11. Fortunatly if worst comes to worst we can changes our flight departures for only $25, but the cost of the school will have made the trip tedious and not as worthwhile.

We will be leaving in 2 weeks and there really is no backing out now, but I am still a little uneasy.

I will post my results becuase I think this is a very important issue. I dont really see the harm. Spaniards want to learn English and I will be able to help them. I'm not selling drugs in the retiro or anything like that...Now, I think I will know the struggle of illegals in this country only trying to live out their dreams and to work.

y termino con una frase que aprendi en la tierra de sol y sombra
"Que lo pasa bien con todo"(!ojala!)
Chris

#41135 - 06/05/02 06:36 AM Re: Living ilegally
Jimmy Offline

Loc: Athens, GA
A quick note about teaching English in Barcelona (which is what I´m doing now) --

The EFL industry here is dodgy, to say the least. Many other languages are taught here, and many teachers, be they American, British, French, Samoan, or Martian, are being paid illegally. Additionally, many Europeans don´t bother to apply for residency here (which is something I think they have to do after staying here for six months), and many Americans are living here illegally. I have not heard one case of any American or Canadian teacher being deported for working illegally, nor have I heard about immigration raids on academies. The police here in Barcelona are fairly preoccupied.

If you really really (really) want to become legal (which is something that I´m working at), it is possible. Many businesses here request Americans to teach American English and American business terms. A few academies here assist North Americans with their paperwork provided they´ve demonstrated that they are assets to the academies. In other words, teachers who have stayed at the academy for a while, who have been punctual, competent, and professional, and who have been requested time after time by former students to teach may get the opportunity to have their paperwork done for them. Keep in mind that this is indeed the exception to the rule, but it is nonetheless true.

Hope this helps. ¡Buena suerte!

-- Jimmy
The information contained in this post is my opinion and mine alone - actually, it isn't mine, really, and should be scrapped along with all the other lame posts I make on this or any other forum or on any email sent out by me. As a matter of fact, I should be put to sleep.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1604 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments