Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#40977 - 04/20/02 05:39 PM Marriage for Residency
Jakob Offline

Loc: San Jose, Costa Rica
How easy is it to obtain Spanish residency through marriage? What is the process? If an American marries an Española, what will it take to get the residency card which also gives permission to live, work and study as a resident? (I understand this is the green colored card) And what other documents will be necessary? Rental contract with both names on it? Anything else? And if the marriage is only for purposes of residency, are the Spanish officials strict on making sure that the marriage is valid and that the couple actually lives together? Can an American marry any EU resident and then get residence to live and work in Spain? Are these procedures the same for other nationalities, particularly persons from Panama? All advice is truly appreciated. Thanks.

#40978 - 04/20/02 09:32 PM Re: Marriage for Residency
Jakob Offline

Que bruto! I should have read the whole " the marriage process? " post section before writing my post above under another section. It was very helpful. The links were great and it was encouraging to read the step by step process of you guys going through the maze. But even after reading it I still have a couple questions.

Still, I would like to know if the same processes apply to residents of Panama and other countries. And once all the paperwork is done, will I be able to study as if I were from Spain? And again, do the Spanish authorities (either in the US or Spain) verify that it is a "real" marriage, and not just a marriage for residency purposes?

Here's my plan, I'd love to hear what you all who have done this before think. Go to Spain on the 90 day tourist visa, marry an Española (for purely residential reasons) and go back to the states, get my "regrupación familiar" visa and then back to Spain to get the residency. What I am confused on is whether that residency will give me the option to work and study freely or not. Chica mentioned that she had to go and separately apply for the work permit along with the specific oferta de trabajo. But later, Mencey got the residency AND work visa State-side. Anyone have a clarification or comments on marriages in Spain that are for residency purposes only? Thanks. Jakob

#40979 - 05/16/02 11:49 AM Re: Marriage for Residency
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Man, you are kidding, aren't you? mad

#40980 - 05/16/02 01:47 PM Re: Marriage for Residency
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Yes, it is horrible, but do you know another way to get a work visa? I am told that in Feburary a new law went into effect that drastically reduced the amount of work visas that the government was giving out to non-EU residents. Is there anyone out there that has applied for a work visa after Feburary? If so, did you get the visa?

#40981 - 05/16/02 05:39 PM Re: Marriage for Residency
Jakob Offline

No, I'm not kidding. Sure, it may not be the most romantic option. But why the frown, Nuria?

#40982 - 05/17/02 10:38 AM Re: Marriage for Residency
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Maybe Nuria thinks marriage vows are sacred. She's not alone. Is that so hard to fathom?!

#40983 - 05/17/02 11:05 AM Re: Marriage for Residency
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Jakob,
It is illegal and it is not fair. There are laws against that for a reason. If you cannot get to the country in a legal way you just don't stay in the country, period.
Do you know what happen in the US? That because of people like you, people like me, who got married for the right reasons, have to go through hell in other to get the papers done.
Do you realize you are being dishonest?
Maybe you don't care, but actions like yours are the ones that make the residents of a country to dislike foreigners trying to get the residenci. Shame on you.

#40984 - 05/17/02 04:39 PM Re: Marriage for Residency
guinnessgal420 Offline

Loc: San Jose Costa Rica
Yeah shame on you Jakob, trying to bend the rules a little bit and get around some red tape to live in another country. How many people in this world do that kind of thing? Millions I would say, especially in underdeveloped countries which Spain is not, but still. There are worse ways to get residency aren't there? My policy is "whatever works"! And I say go for it Jakob, if you can get anyone out there to give you a straight answer to your question.

#40985 - 05/17/02 04:58 PM Re: Marriage for Residency
Espe3 Offline

That's not right. Yes, lots of people do it, but it still doesn't make it right. I can't say I'm totally against it, but Spain also isn't capable of taking on all of the foreigners that are forcing their way to its borders. I'm not saying stay in your country, I've been fighting this burocratic battle for the better part of my life, I'm half spanish and STILL can't go to stay! Maybe I'm just stupid trying to do it legally, but really! And yes, I am engaged to a Spaniard, but I'm still trying to get there on my own merits. Our wedding is still a couple years away, I'm NOT marrying him just to be able to live there. I'm not casting stones because I can totally understand someone doing it for other than love. However, ask yourself why visiting isn't enough and if its more than just a whim. If you're going there because you think its going to be better than where you live, well you may be in for quite a shock! People had and have the same impression of the United States and we all know its not easy for them, and the US has more resources to absorb a higher population with all its demands. I do hope that if this is the route you're going, that you have something to contribute, and not going to add to the problems of unemployment and overpopulation. If you truly appreciate the country and love it that much to want to be a part of it, I hope its to contribute and not to strip it. Otherwise save up your vacation time!

#40986 - 05/17/02 06:40 PM Re: Marriage for Residency
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Calm down! He only asked a straight question. There's no need to lynch him. If you personally disapprove of his methods, then set up a thread on Things I Find Morally Outrageous. Meanwhile, I think Jakob asked a valid question and is entitled to a an answer from anyone who may be more informed on the matter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments