Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#40928 - 03/21/02 02:00 PM Re: the marriage process?
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Thank you so much Nuria! I will take your advice and contact your sister-in-law. I am Catholic, but I was born and Baptized in Germany, and had my Communion when I lived in New York, but never did do my Confirmation, plus I don't have any papers stating all of this, so I don't know if there would be a problem with that. So I will check with your sister-in-law and see if she has any advice for me on this(hope so laugh ).
Smile! smile

#40929 - 03/21/02 02:51 PM Re: the marriage process?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
For those interested in getting married in Spain try this link. It is only in Spanish (sorry)

http://www.ciberboda.com/PAGS/SERVICIOS/TRAMITE.htm#CIV

#40930 - 03/21/02 05:19 PM Re: the marriage process?
nevado Offline

LittleWing, I can't believe the Embassy in Spain told you that. Figures! Try going to the registro civil and asking for the papers that explain the necessary steps (or have your fiancee go if you're not in Spain). My husband picked the information up there (and I got it from the Embassy in Madrid). We compared the information and they indeed were the same (one in English, the other in Spanish). I'll do some digging this weekend to see if I can find the pamphlet I was talking about. In the meantime, start by getting the seal on your birth certificate while you try and get a straight answer. That process will take a couple/few weeks. When were you planning on getting married? It really is painless once you get a straight answer (that seems to be the hard part, doesn't it?).

#40931 - 03/21/02 11:19 PM Re: the marriage process?
LW Offline

Thanks Nevado for the info. And to answer your question to when, well, I will say that I will hopefully have a clearer picture by the end of the summer, or the end of the year, so at least I don't have to panick and feel that pressure of rushing things. Since I was born in Germany and don't have an original copy of my birth certificate, it will probably take time just with that alone, nevermind everything else, so that is why I am starting now. Anyway, when the time comes that I will move to Spain, trust me, I will let everyone know, because I will be sooooo happy!! I am also one that is in-love with Spain, so my biggest wish and my only goal in life now, is to be with the love of my life, and live in Spain, so time will tell.... wink

#40932 - 03/22/02 12:33 PM Re: the marriage process?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
LittleWind, just a thougth... do you have a german passport? That way since you are "European" you might not need a visa. My cousin from Venezuela has an spanish passport and now he is living in England.

#40933 - 03/23/02 04:47 AM Re: the marriage process?
LW Offline

No Nuria, I only have a US passport, and left a message in your private mail box.
smile

#40934 - 03/23/02 09:44 AM Re: the marriage process?
nevado Offline

Well, after searching high and low, I couldn't come up with the specific information you and your fiancée need although I did find the documents I used. Once you get your birth certificate and the Apostille stamp, you need to translate it into Spanish and take it to the Spanish Consulate. They will certify that your translation is correct and stamp it. I also found the letter from my bank stating that I had been a member for X amount of years (don't ask me what that proves, it doesn't state anything that I would consider relevant).
It sounds like you're going about this the right way; you've got plenty of time! Once you get your birth certificate it will be a piece of cake.
It really was easy getting married in Spain so don't get discouraged! Plan a wonderful wedding and let me know if you need a good photographer for the wedding- I scoured Madrid for a personable photographer who would adapt to my needs and found a great one!

#40935 - 03/23/02 02:07 PM Re: the marriage process?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi just me popping in here again. For what it´s worth, I never had any of my docs (birth certificate, certificate of being single -- whatever it´s called -- or anything else) translated into Spanish. Your best bet is to call the Consulate ahead of time, get someone on the phone who deals with the immigration stuff (and get their name so you can ask for them when you get to the consulate), and have that person spell out for you specifically what docs you will need and whether or not you will need them translated.

I say this only from personal experience from when I returned to the states to apply for and pick up my visa allowing me to stay in Spain. The website gave a list of about 7 documents needed. We were told on the phone that only 4 of them were actually required with a $45 fee. When I got to the consulate, they only asked me for two of them and waived the fee altogether. I was pleased with that until I had to pay my parking which was nearly as much in NYC!

Good luck!

#40936 - 03/25/02 11:40 AM Re: the marriage process?
Roe Offline

Loc: california
So Chica, are you saying that even if you get married to a spanish citizen you still have to return to the USA to get your work visa and/or residency cards?

#40937 - 03/25/02 12:52 PM Re: the marriage process?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Roe --

This is our story. My husband is a Spanish citizen. Never lived in the USA. I am a USA citizen. He and his family (God bless their souls) flew to the states for a week last year for our wedding festivities. I returned to Spain with them the day after the wedding only on the standard 3 month tourist visa (not applied for...simply the stamp they put in your passport at the airport).

Once in Spain, we began the paperwork trail for a visa for me under the entitlement "regrupación familiar" (reuniting a family). This process entailed registering our American (Protestant) wedding with the Spanish authorities and getting our Libro de Familia.

Once I had the Libro de Familia, I could apply for the visa at the nearest Spanish consulate to my USA address. In my case it was New York City since I am from Philadelphia. Typically you present the paperwork and pick the visa up in a week or so. However, my husband "sweet talked" the woman handling immigration matters into processing all my paperwork on the same day since it was my sole purpose for returning to the states (other than to visit family and have a couple of nights out on the town with the girlfriends wink ) She agreed. I popped in to the consulate at 10 am, presented my documents and then was told to come back in 3 hours. So, I went shopping, had lunch, then went back and picked up the visa.

Yes, you have to go back to the states (or your country of origin) to pick up the visa. The USA also does this. The primary reason for this is that if the visa is declined for whatever reason (if you do everything right, there is no reason for it to be declined), then Spain doesn´t have to foot the bill to deport you. You have essentially deported yourself. It´s a matter of separating the chaff from the wheat and keeping out the riff raff.

Once I had the visa (good for 3 mos), I could apply for my residency. In applying for my residency, I needed to also submit an "offerta de empleo" (essentially a letter from a prospective employer stating its intention to hire me once my residency and work permit were approved)in order to be granted a permiso de trabajo (work permit) Being married to a Spaniard does not mean that I automatically have the right to work here. That is applied for separately. However if you process everything at the simultaneously, you save yourself a lot of hassle and unneccessary running around.

The paperwork has to be processed in the order that I mentioned:

1. Libro de Familia (needed to apply for the visa)
2. Visa issued from the Spanish consulate in your country of origin (needed to apply for the resident´s card and work permit)
2a. Oferta de empleo (needed to apply for the work permit)
3. Resident´s card. This is applied for in your local province in Spain. Is generally a 3-6 month process depending on where you apply (bigger cities = longer wait). I applied through Segovia and like clockwork had the residency approved 3 mos. later.

I hope this helps to clarify matters for you!

Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments