Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#40869 - 02/22/02 04:53 PM Residency freeze
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
This is what my lawyer told me, and it might need clarification, but as I understand it Spain has stopped accepting foriegn work permit applications except from Peru and Chile. Present residents are of course fine.

Anyone know more about this? It's important as anyone thinking about coming should check this out.

-L

#40870 - 02/23/02 08:13 AM Re: Residency freeze
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Asterault -- do you have any idea if this also applies to those whose paperwork is in tramite? I am nearing the end of a 3 month wait for my residency card and official work permit (they told me it would take three months...), I have been visited by the Guardia Civil, so I know that they are actually processing my application... Just curious.

#40871 - 02/23/02 08:54 AM Re: Residency freeze
Asterault Offline

No si está en tramite no hay problema - pero te juro que tardará mas... hablan de 3 meses <I>Españoles</I> laugh

#40872 - 02/23/02 11:59 AM Re: Residency freeze
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Translation: There's no problem if it's in transit/process - but I promise it will take longer.... like three "Spanish" months (which means LONGER).
-------
Asterault, please remember that the majority of our visitors probably do not speak/read Spanish. Thanks! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40873 - 02/24/02 06:14 AM Re: Residency freeze
Asterault Offline

You know I did not even realize I wrote that in Spanish and not English! Scary!

#40874 - 02/24/02 07:07 AM Re: Residency freeze
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Yeah, I know about the Spanish "three month" wait which is why I filed my paperwork in Segovia not Madrid. The volume of applications for residency is much quicker. I got an appointment immediately to hand in all my paperwork. When we tried through Madrid, we were told it would be a three month wait just to be able to hand in my paperwork (by which time my visa would have expired)...and then AT LEAST another three months for the residency to be approved! eek

#40875 - 02/25/02 09:44 PM Re: Residency freeze
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I don't think that applies to spouses of Spanish Citizens. I guess that wouldn't make sense. We went to the Spanish Consul in LA and our paperwork took all of 5 minutes. THey said that I should call them one month before leaving for Spain and they would have my residency and work permit ready for me before I leave.

#40876 - 02/26/02 03:25 AM Re: Residency freeze
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Madrid Man, pay attention to what Mencey wrote. The entire process is MUCH quicker stateside...something that no one ever told us... not in Spain and not in the USA. Our attempts at getting straight answers on anything were futile. Live and learn! rolleyes

#40877 - 02/26/02 05:31 AM Re: Residency freeze
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Maybe we're missing some vital bit of information here. But mencey, HOW LONG did it take you to get married (in the USA or Spain?) and HOW LONG did it take your wife to get her residency and work permit for the USA? Okay, you don't have an answer the latter part, but I was trying to make a comparison here. If it's all that fast-n-easy to do in the USA (to get your residency and work permit AFTER you've married a Spaniard, that is) then why don't we all do this?? Well, I suspect it takes a long time to marry a spaniard here in the USA too (if we're US citizens).

Now mencey, let's see what they tell you when you call them one-month before you intend to leave for Spain. Not to frighten you, but hopefully they don't give you the ol' "Oh, gee whiz, Mencey, but now we have to file form number F-U 180 and that'll take at least 9 months." (did anyone get that pseudo form number joke?? hehehe..).

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40878 - 02/26/02 07:08 AM Re: Residency freeze
nevado Offline

Oh the joys of immigration! It's funny how much easier it is to get things done outside the country. MM, I didn't know you had it in you, I caught that before I read you hint! Ha!
Getting married in Spain is virtually painless, much more so than I had anticipated. As long as you know what's expected of you and you don't forget to do something ahead of time, it's easy. I got everything together in 4 weeks and it took another three to file the paperwork. We had to do a bit of running around because we filed in Madrid but were married outside of Madrid.

My husband got his greencard with ease as well. He filed outside the US (and outside of Spain) and ALL BY HIMSELF. I never once had to go to the embassy with him. Amazing if you think about it. The part that took the longest was waiting for Spain to release his police record (or lack of one).

What I find amazing is how hard it is to marry a non-US citizen in the US. They've changed the regulations in the past 4 years or so making it quite difficult if you don't plan ahead. If you don't file for the fiancee visa ahead of time, they won't allow your spouse to enter the US for 9 months or they'll slap you with a big fine and won't allow your spouse to leave the country until the greencard is secure (or something to that nature, it's been a while and I may have this mixed up a bit). We were fortunate because I got a job overseas and didn't need to live in the US. That was the only option if we wanted to be together immediately after marriage.

If anyone is contemplating getting married in Spain, I recommend they pick up a booklet published by the US Embassy, it clearly outlines all the necessary paperwork. If you're planning to marry in the US (and live there afterwards), check into the fiancee visa more than 6 months before the marriage. Without it your spouse will be facing the F-U 180 back to his/her country! wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1945 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments