Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40858 - 02/07/02 09:43 PM Landing an English Job
SRedw Offline

#40859 - 02/07/02 10:44 PM Re: Landing an English Job
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WOW!! GREAT information, SRedW! Thanks very very much! I know I'LL be looking into it!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40860 - 02/08/02 09:10 AM Re: Landing an English Job
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
As an English teacher here in Madrid, I agree with SRedw in that having certification is a good thing, particularly when you may be lacking in real life experience, however, it is not the only thing that will land you the top paying jobs.

I have landed some excellent corporate teaching positions paying extremely well for the market although I donīt have certification. I do have over 10 years of professional experience in corporate America, a training background , bilingual (extremely helpful if you are teaching elementary learners), and an advanced degree in Education. A corporate background and the ability to interface at all levels of the corporate ladder are also great attributes to have, even if you donīt have the certification.

However, remember, teaching (a language) is challenging work. Be prepared to explain the idiosyncrasies of the English language, have a firm grasp on the grammar rules. If you are lacking the professional experience, by all means get the certification. Just because you can take a picture, doesnīt mean you are a photographer. Just because you speak English natively doesnīt mean that you are automatically a teacher.

With regards to finding teaching jobs, I have gotten all of my jobs through the internet....specifically at infojobs.net. While most jobs are still advertised in papers, there is such a demand that I have more than I can handle through the internet. Apart from the private academies, donīt forget to look at the consulting agencies (consultores) that subcontract English teachers for their corporate clients. However, be prepared for a quick turn around. I have had interviews on one day and found myself with the teaching job the next (and signing the contract an hour before the class). It has happened to me twice so far.

If you are serious about teaching English for a long term job here (not a 3 week stint to pay your trip through Europe), both Academies and consulting agencies will consider you more seriously.

Do take into consideration your interest and ability in teaching adults and children. The teaching techniques are not the same and each present its own set of challenges.

What can you do from the states? Create your online CV at a number of the job sites and LOOK at the postings. About two weeks before you think you will be coming here, start contacting (online) the postings that you have seen. Once you get here you can track down offers in the newspapers!!

Good luck!

#40861 - 02/08/02 09:18 AM Re: Landing an English Job
SRedw Offline

#40862 - 03/17/02 09:56 AM Re: Landing an English Job
Chica Offline
Executive Member

SRedW--

Just out of curiosity, which certification do you have for teaching English? TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA?

Do you have an opinion on the online vs. classroom certification programs? I just find it fascinating that there is such a variance in price ($250 - $1500) for the same certificate.

How do you think your certification has helped you? Can you describe some of the teaching positions you have had here in Spain?

I am debating the certification issue. I havenīt gotten certified simply because not having a certificate has not been a barrier for me. However, it doesnīt mean that I am opposed to certification. Would love to hear your perspective...

Thanks,
Chica

#40863 - 03/17/02 10:32 AM Re: Landing an English Job
SRedw Offline

#40864 - 04/26/02 12:49 PM Re: Landing an English Job
jane26 Offline

Loc: New York
It all sounds great, however, I'm not sure if I should get certified in teaching if I can't even communicate to the students in their native tongue. Teaching should be a two-way street and there is major traffic on one of mine.
Besides TEFL, is there absolutely any other route?

#40865 - 05/07/02 02:20 PM Re: Landing an English Job
alegrias Offline

I have the same question as Jane26, Does somebody out there have the answer? I am moving to Barcelona by the fall and don't have a lot time, what other options to I have concerning certification?

#40866 - 05/07/02 03:40 PM Re: Landing an English Job
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Hey guys - Chica (an American married to a Spaniard and a full-time Spain resident) teaches in and around Madrid and has written extensively on this subject. Try doing a search for teaching and put Chica where author is asked for. Her info is current and very complete

#40867 - 05/07/02 04:15 PM Re: Landing an English Job
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Puna -

wink laugh wink laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments