Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40822 - 01/28/02 02:57 PM Links for expats in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
In addition to Tracy’s great website www.ExpatriateCafe.com , I’ve recently found some other sites I think may be interesting to expats in Spain. The whole expat experience is a fascinating one, and I always like reading about what other expats have to say about it.

I find the Overseas Digest to be a great resource for timely articles for people all over the world. They even have a special section devoted to teachers. They’re at http://www.overseasdigest.com/

In their January 2002 newletter ( http://www.overseasdigest.com/currentOD.htm ) there are some interesting articles. One, from the International Herald Tribune, (“Returning Expats Treated as Ugly Americans”) is apparently no longer accessible. It a shame, because it was an interesting read. (Note: It has been found at http://www.iht.com/articles/41320.html ) It had to do with the difficulty of making financial transactions in the U.S. while and after living abroad. I ran into that problem. I tried to get a mortgage to buy a house when I moved back to the States, and discovered that I couldn’t get a mortgage because I had no credit history. After 5 years of inactivity in the States, all your credit history is gone, and no one wants to take a chance with you. (And the mortgage company actually called my bank in Madrid to request a credit report – in English, of course, not believing me when I told them there is no such thing in Spain, and then they were all put out because no one would speak to them in English!!!) In my case, I had a school loan that had been paid off the year before, but the credit bureaus had no record of it. In the end it all worked out, but let this be a warning to American expats – If there's a chance you'll go back to the States, keep a bank account open in the U.S., and keep a credit card with an American address. Losing your credit history makes your life in the United States VERY difficult.

Another interesting article in the newsletter (and you can access this one) is about repatriate couples. I could really relate to this article a lot. Lots of very interesting ideas.

Another good link is the Expat Exchange ( http://www.expatexchange.com/dev/networks.cfm?networkID=101 ). I found some good resources and links there – like the Welcome Wagon organization in Madrid. (I “saw” Chica there, too, so it must be a good site!)

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Diana ]

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Diana ]

#40823 - 01/28/02 03:57 PM Re: Links for expats in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40824 - 01/28/02 05:00 PM Re: Links for expats in Spain
Diana Offline

Great links, MadridMan! I especially liked the Cultural Differences piece from the Spain Expat site.

Thanks!

#40825 - 01/29/02 04:01 AM Re: Links for expats in Spain
nevado Offline

Diana, that's very interesting what you said about the credit history. I've always maintained and account in the U.S. but I could see the day when it's not necessary. That would just about do me in having to go through that, especially knowing what you're dealing with on both ends.
I think with the online banking and advances with the internet, it's not as much of a burden maintaining U.S. accounts. I remember when my credit card payments wouldn't arrive for weeks, it was a nightmare. Now it's so easy to maintain a credit card from overseas, I can even schedule 12 monthly payments online. smile

#40826 - 01/29/02 08:07 AM Re: Links for expats in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Diana I am smiling right now! Yes, I am registered at a couple of expat sites, but I really have to give credit to MM...I have gathered, by far, the most information from his site. It is much more dynamic and the participants keep coming back...just like family. I have found on other expat sites that if you post a message, it will be weeks before anyone answers you (if they ever do).

I have a number of sites booked marked so I will have to go through them and pull up the links and post them here...

By the way, the Spanish restaurant that recently opened in West Chester, is it actually in East Goshen? My friends keep writing to me about it and insist that we must go the next time I am "home". Have you tried it yet??

Saludos a todos!
chica

#40827 - 01/29/02 11:02 AM Re: Links for expats in Spain
Diana Offline

Hi, Chica! Yes, the restaurant must be the same. I wrote a review on it ( http://www.madridman.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=000420 ), and I've been back there since. It's on the expensive side, but the food is good. The menu has also gotten bigger. You'll have to check it out! (West Chester is used to describe several towns in this area because they all share a post office.)I noticed quite a few people were ordering from the tapas menu, and just moved from one to the next. Just about everyone brings their own wine or beer. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. It's getting quite a name for itself, and people are enthusiastic about it. That's pretty good, because the West Chester area has many outstanding restaurants, especially in West Chester Borough. The chefs have plenty of competition! This is the only Spanish restaurant, though.

I have to agree about this website, and especially about this message board. It's the best place to feel a real sense of community for people with an interest in Spain. The fact that we're spread out all over the world makes it all the more amazing!

Nevado, I also have to agree with what you said about online banking and the internet. If I ever go abroad again, I think it will be easy to keep the credit rating active here in the States. It's a shame that IHT article isn't there anymore. It had a list of banks all over the world that were best able to deal with expat issues. If I have some time I might take a look to see if it's archived somewhere...

#40828 - 01/30/02 03:08 PM Re: Links for expats in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
You live in West Chester? I lived in Philadelphia for 5 years and worked in Malvern (Great Valley). Well have a pint at 'The Bar' for me.

#40829 - 01/30/02 04:07 PM Re: Links for expats in Spain
Jimmy Offline

Loc: Athens, GA
I think quite a few people here are from that area, actually. I graduated from Kennett High School and attended West Chester University for a while before transfering to Penn State. After Penn State, I moved to Manayunk. I also played in a band that would gig at 15 North regularly. Small world.

-- Jimmy
The information contained in this post is my opinion and mine alone - actually, it isn't mine, really, and should be scrapped along with all the other lame posts I make on this or any other forum or on any email sent out by me. As a matter of fact, I should be put to sleep.

#40830 - 02/10/02 06:55 AM Re: Links for expats in Spain
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Thanks so much Diana for the compliment!

And did someone say there's a NEW Spanish restuarant in West Chester??? I'm right across the bridge in NJ...YUM...I'm on my way NOW.

tracy

#40831 - 02/10/02 06:42 PM Re: Links for expats in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Asterault...you lived in West Chester and worked in Great Valley? I did my MEd at Penn State Great Valley Campus.

Jimmy, my last job was just up the street from Manayunk in Roxborough....WYBE Public Television (TV-35)...before moving here to Spain.

Indeed a small world!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1907 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments