Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#40747 - 11/30/01 09:21 AM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
phillyboy Offline

Loc: miami
hey missmadrid...i sent you an email(personal)..i sent my resume and a few quetions since i am pondering coming over anytime now..i dont know if all this virus stuff going on spooked you but let me know if you recievd it and /or i will send it again..impatient in miami...

#40748 - 11/30/01 11:08 PM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I'm with Roses!!

If I could see a board which showed me jobs I may actually be eligible for, I'd pay ya too, MissMadrid!!

-GranadaGirl

#40749 - 12/06/01 03:38 PM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
hey phillyboy..send it to me again, i don´t think i received it!

#40750 - 12/06/01 05:22 PM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
MissMadrid,

Now that is a great Spanish website (ok, second to MadridMan's)!

Thanks for the link. Your insights on what the tourist (thankfully, so we don't have to bother with "tourists") books are unable to do (useful "local" commentary) have been great.

MadridMan, please accept my humble suggestion: You have an excellent "Links" section - maybe in the future you can add a subsection for all your MadridMans' fan's sites. MissMadrid has an excellent one, and I would guess many of us regulars might have others. A way to expand our community from within (?). Thanks for letting my express my humble suggestion.

You probably get this all the time - but even with the risk of expanding your ego, I have to say you have great site! Thanks...you've found another loyal regular in my message board visits!

#40751 - 12/07/01 12:34 PM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey Madridman!

Thanks for the plug on the Expatriate Cafe! Now that I am on winter break, I am devoting a TON of time to my little Cafe...New up and coming section is Apartment Hunting and Online Job Banks...

ALSO...we do have forums...feel free to post any questions you may have regarding teaching English and Living in Spain!

Tracy

#40752 - 12/09/01 12:06 AM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Tracy Moral, Missmadrid98 and MM,

I've studied all the posts on this site in detail, even did a search on teaching English and have visited the wonderful site http://www.expatriatecafe.com

Question #1:

MissMadrid, congrats on your job success. You sound very pleased. Does this "woman" you work for under the table have any contacts in Barcelona that you could find out about for me? Perhaps she can provide you the name/email of someone who offers similar employment over there?

I'm still planning to move to Barcelona in early Spring. I know this is a Madrid based web site, but there are no Barcelona related forums that compare to MadridMan, so thanks in advance for indulging me.

Question #2:

Tracy Moral and anyone else who may be qualified ... I've studied the posts about working under the table, TEFL courses, etc. It seems that wanting to "play it safe" would be to get a Visa. It seems rather easy to obtain a student visa, provided you show proof that you have signed up and are paying for school, even Spanish lessons.

Since my Spanish is rusty, I'd like to get TEFL certified, goto Spain via a Student Visa, take part time, long-term Spanish lessons (to meet Visa Requirements) and then perhaps teach English "from home" (as you've suggested so many times on the expat site) for a while, get more proficient and then perhaps look for a job with an actual English teaching school? I figured with a TEFL on my resume, I could place an ad in the paper initially and begin to make some money from home teaching English for private families.

I think that would nail several birds with one stone. I could improve my Spanish while living their legally under Visa reqs and make some money on the side while continuing to run my U.S. Internet business from abroad. In fact, as a student, it's legal to work in Spain anyway, right?

My problem is, in all my research, I can't find any Spanish courses in Spain that are part-time and longer term that meet Visa reqs. I've found a ton of short-term courses, like 1 to 4 weeks, for an average of about $120 USD per week (expensive) and that are FULL-TIME only. Naturally, if my Visa were to be considered "invalid" after a 4 week course, it would kind of defeat the purpose.

In addition, attending a full-time Spanish course would leave me no time to run my own California Corp from Spain or teach English from home under the table, let alone any part time work.

Therefore, Tracy (or anyone) can you recommend a decent, acredited school or University that would teach me Spanish in Barcelona long-term, part-time (20 hours per week maximum as I think that's Visa minimum reqs?) for a reasonable (affordable) rate? Are there any 1 or 2 year Spanish courses/classes?

Does this sound feasible? Has anyone else thought of this "plan of attack" for getting to, living in and working in Spain legally - and pulled it off?

This is one issue I did not see covered in any of the topics on this site or on Expatriot Cafe (if I missed it I apologize!)

Thanks! edr

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: edr ]

#40753 - 12/09/01 12:11 PM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
RE: SELF EMPLOYED VISA (related to teaching English as a private instructor).

Originally sent to Tracy directly at www.expatriatecafe.com

Hi Tracy -

You wrote on the Visa page of your lovely Expat site http://www.expatriatecafe.com/visas.php:

----------------------------------------
"In order to obtain a visa for self-employment without having to go back and forth to Spain and without having to need a valid job offer or contract the below requirement is substituted for the above "valid job offer from a company in Spain..." *Remember however, that you will NOT be permitted to work in an Academy or for anyone else for that matter, if you have one of these visa types. You can only work independently.

Copy of the Work Authorization Application (Solicitud de Permiso de Trabajo) filed with the Ministry of Labor in Spain and one photocopy. This document must be submitted at this Consulate General within thirty (30) days from the date stamped by the Ministry of Labor in Spain."
----------------------------------------

Tracy, where do I obtain a Solicitud de Permiso de Trabajo application form without having to go to Spain? Then, when I fill it out do I send it directly to the Ministry of Labor in Spain? What is the typical "turn-around" time for them to respond?

The reason I ask, is according to some really uptight Spanish woman at the consulate in Los Angeles, I had to actually go to Spain, in person, to get this particular form, fill it out, have them stamp it there, then bring it back to the consulate in Los Angeles. She was adamant about this! mad

How ridiculous is that!? Paying several hundred dollars to fly to Spain, simply to get a form and a signature in person, to then return home to provide it to the consulate, to then turn around and go back to Spain seems very unreasonable! I told her that didn't sound accurate and asked her if the consulate could supply a copy of this form. She said they did not have any copies of this form and that she was absolutely sure that I needed to go to Spain in person to obtain one! mad

You, however, are suggesting that we do no have to “go back and forth” to Spain, which is GREAT! laugh

What's the secret? Where can I get this form on U.S soil or on the Internet? I searched far and wide on the Internet and haven't found anything, including the Ministry's main web site at http://www.mtas.es/

There were no forms that I could see for printing out. Based on my research, it sounds as though the woman at the Spanish consulate in L.A. is correct, but I hope she is wrong!

I am self-employed in the U.S. and would like to continue to run my Internet business from Spanish Soil even if I do teach English and study Spanish part-time. Therefore, instead of a Student Visa (and worrying about having to pay for Spanish Lessons for the entire time I’m there), what about this Self-Employed Visa? Or, would I have to be generating Spanish income to have it? They probably wouldn't check? I suppose if I’m self-employed, then legally I’m self-employed!!! ??? Shouldn’t matter where?

Based on all the posts in both Expat and Madrid Man, it seems strange that so many people even slightly worried about working “illegally” or teaching English privately under the table (if that is their intent), wouldn’t apply for this type of Visa. If they don’t need a valid job offer (and I don’t see the high $75k yearly income proof req) then why doesn’t everyone who PLANS to teach English under the table fill out for a self-employed Visa and teach English privately and legally? What am I missing?

Thank you very much for your time! smile

edr

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: edr ]

#40754 - 12/09/01 01:13 PM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
sorry edr i have no contacts for barcelona! i am glad to hear you enjoyed my site. i haven´t updated it in alomost a year, so this winter break i am putting all the info i have gathered and completely redoing the site!

#40755 - 12/09/01 05:46 PM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
B.J. Offline

Loc: Ireland
let me see, how does this thing work?
( just joined! -see profile)
can't think of anything to say yet whoops!
except hola!

#40756 - 12/11/01 06:29 AM Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey edr...

This is in reply to your FIRST message...I'll get to your second msg in the next post smile

First of all, just by being on a 3-month tourist visa you are legal in Spain, but not legal to work. And if you do obtain a student visa you are legally able to study, but not work.

In order for you to get a longer student visa you must apply to a University or college HERE, within the States and do a junior year abroad/senior year abroad thing. Or, possibly, you can apply to, Saint Louis University , which is right in Madrid (you'll need to research Universities in Barcelona because I am sure there are many.)

But I am sure you've already realized this route is extremely expensive and there's no guarantee that you'll be selected.

Also, you mentioned starting your own business...the Spanish Embassy offers a visa for independent contractors that can work legally. You might want to check into that info. too at VISAS to RESIDE IN SPAIN

The little language schools will not give you the visa you need and what's more, teaching English from your home is EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE. YOu will have to work very hard at advertising and getting to know people.

I still think your best bet is to TALK to a large number of AMerican who are actually teaching in SPain, under-the-table. If you go to the SPAIN-ENGLISH FORUMS
you will be able to contact many people already in SPain, teaching and earning a great living. Find out first hand what's best smile

I hope this info has helped!

OK..second reply...

Unfortunately, you may have to go to Spain first to apply for this type of visa. The above link I gave you for RESIDING in Spain will have all the answers.

If you think of the reason this rule may be in place, it makes sense...Spain wants to have a good idea who its entrepenuers are (heck, I know I spelled that wrong but I am in a hurry! hehe) and might not grant a visa to just anyone, before seeing that there might be a demand for your service. Not only that, but Spain wants to employee Spaniards...so your company must be pretty competitive and useful.

And the reason MOST people will never get this independent contract visa is that it is a LONG process that could take up to a year AND the person applying for it must be a serious, disciplined self-starter. MOst Americans who want to teach in Spain do so for FUN, not for a career.

For more information on starting your own business though, I would talk directly with Jeremy from www.multimadrid.com He's an American with duel citizenship and owns his own business in Madrid.

Good Luck again! By the way...The two best ways to get in touch with me are either by posting a message through the Expatriate Cafe
FORUMS or by e-mailing me directly at tracy.moral@home.com

Tracy
[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Tracy Moral ]

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments