Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40699 - 06/19/01 12:07 PM HEADS UP: new visa requirement for kids
picara Offline

Loc: New Mexico, USA
My husband, my infant son, and I are moving to Madrid in August and staying for a year. We're affiliated with a univ. here, so we're able to get residence visas for "culture workers" or somesuch. ANYWAY, my hubby called recently to see what the status of our visas is: my husband's and mine are ready. HOWEVER, only three weeks ago Spain instituted new requirements for children--they now need "visados de acompañamiento" (not sure of the wording): basically, you have to justify why the child needs the visa!!!! So my son's visa still needs to be approved . . . (HELLO? He's 14 months old!!) eek confused

The Houston consulate agreed that the requirement is pretty nonsensical, but she said that it was better to do it so as not to worry later on.

picara--dazed and confused in NM

#40700 - 06/19/01 02:17 PM Re: HEADS UP: new visa requirement for kids
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
It's only a guess, but the reason may be to make illegal adoption traffic more difficult.

You know, couples with no children, desperate of waiting for bureaucracy to proceed with the adoption procedures that go to Romania, or Bulgaria and go back to Spain with a baby son in their arms a month after...

#40701 - 06/19/01 02:29 PM Re: HEADS UP: new visa requirement for kids
picara Offline

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Wow. I never thought of that possibility. Call me naive, huh?

picara

#40702 - 06/19/01 07:57 PM Re: HEADS UP: new visa requirement for kids
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I realise that us Brits are in a different situation to yourselves, but a few years ago, children under the age of 16, were required to have their own passport, even new born babies! Previously they were included on the parents passport, but I think the change came about because of EU rulings,or immigration laws ect. Could be wrong but I'm sure someone will know the reasons for these changes.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments