Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40695 - 06/12/01 05:37 PM permiso de residencia y trabajo
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I am having a heck of a time getting correct information from the Spanish Consulate in Los Angeles.

I'd like to obtain a residency permit, but was told before I could file for the Spanish Residency Visa I'd need to obtain the permiso de residencia y trabajo form application form, which would in turn provide me with the registration number needed to file the residency Visa application.

I understood this.

Then, I was told I could only obtain permiso de residencia y trabajo form in Spain?

How can get that form only in Spain, if I can't get the Visa to get to Spain without the form?

I informed the woman at the Spanish consulate that this was contradictory and confused me and she was very rude and said to come back on a day when my brain was functioning better. What a Bi---!

Anyway, if anyone has any information they can share in this regard, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thank you for your time!

EDR

#40696 - 06/12/01 07:43 PM Re: permiso de residencia y trabajo
seul6 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca.
They are doing everything to discourage immigration, especially if you are looking for work. I have inquired about this too, and the woman I spoke to said to not even try. However, she said that if I want to apply for residency without work permit, I could apply provided that I can show proof that I have an annual income of $75,000.
Good luck!

#40697 - 06/12/01 09:12 PM Re: permiso de residencia y trabajo
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Seul6,

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate it.

I think I'm in uncharted territory, with no regulation concerning a foreign Internet-based business.

I think I have a way to get into Spain with the honest intent to help Spain's economy, even if on a smaller scale.

What I'm trying to do is a bit different than the norm.

I'd like to conduct business in Spain as a foreign corporation, with the intent to potentially hire Spanish employees (if the warrant so demands it).

I think two items that any country would like to see from a "foreigner" are:

1. Bring money into the country (to be spent there).

2. Provide employment for residents or at least intend to do so.

My problem is we can't guarantee employment until the demand from Spanish clients warrants it. I'd like to live in Spain as a representative of my corporation conducting Internet-related business from a remote location, thus initially keeping all currency in U.S. via U.S. banks.

I'm hoping the letter I sent to the consolate today will show Spain that we have money to bring to Spain and the potential to hire employees, thus I hope they'll accommodate? I guess we'll see.

Here's an excerpt from the fax I sent today, and if anyone has any "two cents" regarding any similar experiences or attempts in this arena, please feel free.

12 June 2001

Spanish Embassy
2375 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Washington D.C. 20037

VIA FACSIMILE TO: (202) 728-2302 – TOTAL PAGES - 2

Re: Conducting United States electronic business via remote location in Spain

Dear Spanish Consulate,

It is the desire of New Age Trading Techniques, Inc. (“NATT”), a United States California based Corporation, to send an employee to reside in Spain to solicit Spanish customers with regard to our products and services.

We are a true Internet-based firm that charges for products and services via credit cards in US currency. We are a global Internet firm, have been conducting business since 1998 and have clients in 13 countries. At this time, however, we plan to continue to charge our future clients, including but not limited to, Spain-based clients, in US currency and to keep all banking transactions through U.S. banks.

However, if our physical presence in Spain increases the demand, we may charge Spanish clients in Spanish currency and may hire Spanish employees for an office in Spain. We have had some interest from Spanish speaking people and even have two clients who are Spanish residents. Thus we are very interested in Spain and hope that we will be accommodated to pursue this matter with a physical presence in Spain.

Therefore, what requirements are necessary to receive a residency and/or work permit VISA that would allow NATT to stay in Spain for two (2) years minimum? Naturally, it would not be in our best interests to receive the standard 90-day tourist Visa as traveling to Spain and setting up office/living arrangements would be very costly for NATT.

In addition, please be advised that until we begin to hire Spanish Employees we will be conducting all monetary transactions through the Internet via U.S. web sites and U.S. banks. Thus, we will only be paying income related taxes to the U.S. Federal IRS and the State of California, as required. Therefore, what tax exemption forms are necessary in order to forego any Spanish income taxes during the interim that we do not have any Spanish employees and are not charging any clients in Spanish currency?

Again, we will not be receiving any Spanish currency as income, nor utilizing any Spanish banks for client transactions until we believe the demand warrants it. We will, however, be transferring funds from U.S. banks into Spanish banks on a regular basis in order to pay for office space and other business related expenses to Spanish vendors in Spanish currency. Therefore, we will be bringing U.S. funds into Spain to be spent in Spain.

In the event that we have not satisfactorily hired any Spanish employees by said time, we would be happy to relinquish our presence in Spain and/or file for the appropriate extensions 30 days prior to the 2-year deadline.

We thank you in advance for your consideration in this matter and look forward to receiving the appropriate forms and instructions, either via regular mail or preferably via facsimile.

Please send all correspondence to:

END OF EXCERPT

Wish me (us) luck!

Again, comments are welcome.

#40698 - 06/13/01 05:06 AM Re: permiso de residencia y trabajo
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
You need a lawyer, the consulate is not going to help much. They have to deal with this all say.

You would be interested in rules on opening a business in Spain, which in turn would be the way to secure a work permit. In Spain you need a job offer before you can get the permit.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments