MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40669 - 05/30/01 11:56 PM Wall Street Institute
LaProfesora Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Hi all,
This is going to sound familiar at first, but bear with me...

I plan to relocate to Spain next year (in January, if at all possible...my bank account is still hurting from my trip in March). I have just begun seeking employment in earnest. I am going to take a shot at TEFL, though I lack certification (but hey all you potential employers out there: I have teaching experience! And I'll dance for my supper!)...I am hoping that perhaps I will get lucky or that my desperate need to live in Spain will override my better judgement and compel me to work illegally.

Now, to the point: have any of you had any experience working for the Wall Street Institute ? Also, can anyone provide me with a single street address/e-mail address/fax number for the Wall Street Institute in Spain? (In other words, do they have any sort of headquarters in Spain?) I am trying to find a listing of WSI's current openings throughout Spain. I have tried contacting them via the contact page on their web site _twice_, to no avail. I also tried e-mailing one of their Barcelona centers, but I have not received a response. How can I reach these people?!

Also, I may as well ask whether any of you have worked for Opening English School.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Before I close, tengo que dar las gracias a MadridMan, this site is fantastic! I need a little bit of Spain every day to keep myself sane, so thank goodness your site is here! Keep up the great work!

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#40670 - 05/31/01 06:03 AM Re: Wall Street Institute
nevado Offline

The only help I can give you is that each Wall Street is independently owned so you'll probably have to contact each one individually. I know that the "teachers" work block hours and many of them because it's not really teaching but more monitoring and helping since most instruction, if not all, is done by computer.

#40671 - 05/31/01 08:46 AM Re: Wall Street Institute
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
I worked for WSI for a number of years once, and it's an experience I'd rather forget. It's the McDonalds of the English teaching world, and the "teaching" is drudgery. Opening, I am told is similar, but the conditions are a little better. Having said that, it mightn't be a bad place to start off, get a bit of experience and get settled into Madrid. As was pointed out, each WSI is operated as a franchise. There is a coordinating central office in Madrid in C/ Velazquez (or used to be) and head office is in Barcelona. The head offices accept CVs and farm them out to the centres.You could also just get in touch with each one individually. Opening operates in a similar way. I'll do some research into addresses and get back to you.

#40672 - 06/01/01 01:21 AM Re: Wall Street Institute
LaProfesora Offline

Thanks for the replies...
Ay...the McDonald's of English teaching...I was afraid of something like that! But I wouldn't mind flipping those linguistic burgers for a while if it gives me a foot in the door. And I will buckle down and contact the centers individually, if necessary. But, assuming that some of the major centers farm out teachers to others, I assume the "central center" for Andalucia would be one of the Sevilla centers?

#40673 - 06/01/01 03:24 PM Re: Wall Street Institute
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
If you go to the site www.wallstreetinstitute.com/locator/
you'll be able to click on different centres. they also have a way of applying for jobs online. However, if you don't have working papers they won't take you on. Don't despair though, there are still places which employ "illegals" and you can always survive (sort of) on private classes. Good luck!

#40674 - 06/03/01 05:47 AM Re: Wall Street Institute
jonconway Offline

Loc: madrid
The Macdonalds of English Teaching is a great description but as a place to start WSI or Opening are great. Applying by e-mail or phone is very frustrating as you will rarely get a reply particularly if you live overseas, you have to be here and pass the CVs round, you should also say you are planning on staying for a long term and apply to as many schools as possible, not having TEFL experience is a plus because they want people who won´t leave for a better job. After an interview they will promise they will contact you shortly but unless they need you they never bother.
But if you come to Madrid at the right time, after any Holiday period, you will be set up in a few days.
Jon

#40675 - 06/04/01 03:34 PM Re: Wall Street Institute
LaProfesora Offline

Jonconway, thanks for your response! It's encouraging. Let me ask you this: would they be willing to hire me from afar if I fax them a CV and I can give them an actual address of where I will be staying in Spain? I do know that I'll be staying with a Spanish friend when I initially arrive in Spain. I have to confess that I am intimidated by the idea of simply arriving without having secured some sort of employment beforehand, though I know this is what many people do. I know I'll end up taking the chance, if I must, but I want to exhaust all my other possibilities before I start living dangerously! eek

#40676 - 06/10/01 11:44 AM Re: Wall Street Institute
curiosa Offline

Loc: Spain
Hi Profesora. Maybe I can help you out in a way. It's been funny finding all these messages, because precisely this very week I'm leaving my job at WSI. If what you need is a foot in the door, then great!! I encourage you to go for it. However, the McDonald's myth is true, I'm afraid. Long, tedious hours, crappy pay and very strict working conditions. Everyone I know that's worked at WSI has ended up quite unmotivated and miserable. Opening more of the same. Precisely because of this, WSI has a very high employee turn-over rate, which'll make it quite easy to find something going on. If you need any contacts or anything, e.mail me.

#40677 - 06/10/01 01:28 PM Re: Wall Street Institute
LaProfesora Offline

Curiosa, I couldn't e-mail you (couldn't find an address in your profile), so I sent you a private message via the message board. Hope you receive it! Thanks for your input!!!

#40678 - 06/11/01 05:37 AM Re: Wall Street Institute
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
hello la professora!! i live here in madrid and i teach english here. I have alot of answers to your questions and comments. i HIGHLY doubt anyone will hire you from afar... HIGHLY doubt it. they want to interview you just like anyone else. it is nearly impossible to get hired from overseas. any academy in spain wallstreet,opening so forth will ask for papers, but there is ALOT of work illegally. you are most likely going to have to move over here without a job and then look for one. you have to look in the papers everyday and try hard, but you will find work. i moved here with no job or home and $900 and i made it so it´s not impossible! there are actually some places that will offer to doyour paperwork, so it´s out there,but it all takes TIME! good luck!!!! e-mail me if you like or for anymore help. i don´t know when you plan on moving out here but i have plenty of job leads for you if you decide to come!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments