Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#40607 - 06/07/01 09:13 AM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Poor Madridman frown . If she doesn't believe in the institution, who cares? She should marry you so you could be together. I don't want to sound pesimistic but, are you sure that she loves you? Maybe the reason why she doesn't want to marry you is because she doesn't want to be with you frown

#40608 - 06/07/01 09:43 AM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I did read an article about Spanish women that I thought was interesting. It seems that the "traditional Spanish housewife" is a thing of the past. More women are opting for careers, and leaving marriage out of the picture. They went on to say that the biggest reason they weren't marrying was because most Spanish men still wanted a traditional housewife, and these ladies weren't interested in becoming "subservient" to a man.

In fact, the article went on to say that the birth rate in Spain was dropping so quickly that there would actually be less births than deaths. The population itself, of true Spaniards, would actually go down. That indicated to me that even those ladies who do decide to make the plunge into matrimony aren't interested in having children.

Wolf

#40609 - 06/07/01 11:50 AM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Yes Wolf, that's right. My cousin didn't want to have children because she says that cannot afford it. The salaries in Spain are low and the prices of houses too high. Her and her husband have to work in order to live a comfortable life, if she has babies and cannot work anymore they won't have enough money to pay the mortgage, food, clothes, car... That started to happen in Venezuela years ago and now most of the young married couple have to live with their parents. Let's hope Spanish goverment realice that they have a problem before Spaniards have to live with their parents

#40610 - 06/07/01 02:28 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Nic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Luces, why so hard on our leader??? Harsh...You must read the other posts about that one. It's just a very long engagement, right MM?? Personally, I'm with Luces, if she can't make a decision by now... but if you're happy with it....who are we to judge? Don't make any rash decisions at this time, I was in Columbus over the weekend, and I think that it, like here, has been raining for three straight weeks. You could be in a deep depresion right now. frown

#40611 - 06/07/01 02:39 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
Luces,Nic - what are you all thinking? First of all, if you look carefully at MM's photos of his travels with his Madrilena , you'll see, by facial expression and body language, that she is clearly in love with him. Secondly, these photos and MM's descriptions of their time spent together is ALL we know of their relationship. We cannot possibly make ANY informed comment regarding it.
HMMMMPH!

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#40612 - 06/07/01 03:36 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Sorry Catalina. And sorry Madridman, I guess that Catalina is right, who am I to "meter las narices donde no me llaman?"

#40613 - 06/07/01 11:34 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ohmygod. How did this go to "All About MadridMan's Love Life"??! confused Hahahaha.... Okay. Okay. We are truly and completely devoted to each other in a very very deep emotional way. This is for sure. Fact is, she's a girl (now 40 years old) from the early 80s of Madrid when "La Movida" and all it meant politically for men and women overtook the previously Franco'd psychi (psychy? psychie? Trekie?). She's politically against marriage: "The government shouldn't have to recognize a couple as married in order to gain benefits, get joint loans, etc." She's also not a religious person (nor am I, really). And finally, she lives with and cares for her elderly (78 year old) mother and there's really no one else to do this. Even if we got married and I moved to Madrid it would take some time, if ever, before I could get a decent paying job without being fluent in Spanish, having any special skills, and facing the obvious discrimination hurdles. And as Luces de Bohemia says, with low average salaries and high housing costs it can be very difficult.

There just aren't any easy ways (or even any difficult ways!) to be together as much as we'd like. My ladyfriend is truly one-in-a-lifetime. She's a real sweetheart and I don't have enough space to list all the positive, glowing adjectives to describe her in my heart and mind.

So that's the story (more detailed and complicated than just this above, but you get the idea). NOW, relating to José's original posting, HOW CAN WE (me too!) find legal, worthwhile, living-wage jobs in Spain?! Have job will travel....TO MADRID!! And THEN I'll be able to live with my ladyfriend.

Saludos, MadridMan frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40614 - 06/08/01 10:07 AM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Madridman, I went to the http://www.Expatriatecafe.com (you know it because you are the sponsor laugh ) and I saw that there is a post that says "what you have to do in order to work in Spain" or something like that and explains the Spanish laws about getting a working permit. I red that you can get a permit if you are going to open your own company.

#40615 - 06/08/01 10:27 AM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Luces de Bohemia, I've been considering this idea, but hadn't gotten any details yet. Still, my "company" (and I use this term VERY loosely) doesn't make nearly enough to support me if I had to live on my own - luckily I already have lodging arrangements. wink But thank you. I'll read that information on that website you mentioned. What was it called again??? wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40616 - 06/08/01 11:09 AM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
It's "psyche", MM (we teachers are sooooo annoying...)and your ladyfiend, besides being gorgeous, sounds very intelligent!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2936 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments