Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#40597 - 05/14/01 11:38 AM Working/Moving to Spain
Jose Offline

Loc: Engineer
Question to all Americans who have moved to Spain. I am currently thinking about doing that myself. How difficult did you find it getting hired? Did you encounter much bias towards you? I am from Boston, but from spanish descent.

Any comments? Thanks.

#40598 - 05/14/01 02:23 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Jose, There are many many posts on this subject - do a search under working in Spain (you will find the search button on the right hand side of the screen under "post a reply" headline). A lot of it depends on what you want to do - stay in your profession or just earn enough to stay in Spain. Working in your field (engineer I believe?)and working legally - ergo entailing the need for a work permit can be difficult. Is there any possibility your current company can transfer you under their auspices? If so - the company arranges your work papers, etc.

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

#40599 - 05/20/01 04:51 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Easy. Marry a Spaniard.
Ok, and if that doesn't work, well then, like Puna said, you have to decide if you want to go all the way, professionally, or get by on under-the-counter jobs, like teaching English part time, for example.

Whatever you do, you must visit the Visa Requirements section of the Spanish Consulate's website at http://www.spainconsul-ny.org/!consula.doi/!visares.htm

And read through ALL the visa types that might pertain to you. If you are looking into a career in Spain, you must go there first and get a work offer and a contract (very difficult to do because Spain hires Spaniards first and foremost) and your new company must file the visa for you.

Very serious stuff smile

tra

[ 05-20-2001: Message edited by: Tracy Moral ]

#40600 - 05/30/01 05:02 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Ok, so how might I find a Spaniard to marry?! I've had my eye on this guy named Felipe de Borbon for a while, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere... wink

#40601 - 05/30/01 05:33 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

wink In a post elsewhere CaliBasco makes reference to finding anything on the web - Think he can help us out in this area ? GranadaGirl - you are one of many who - seriously or semi-seriously have contemplated exactly this - Felipe de Borbon or others!

The old theory - never give up - there's got to be a "legal" way to live in Espana! rolleyes

#40602 - 06/01/01 01:06 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Do you want to marry a Spaniard? I remember a story that one Spanird friend told me. There are villages in Spain where the number of women is much inferior to the number of men eek . So what they did is to place and add asking single women to get together and go to this village to meet single men (they called it "caravana de mujeres" and it was based in a Western movie) So there you go, keep your eyes open and maybe in the future they will request another "caravana de mujers" laugh

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: Luces de Bohemia ]

#40603 - 06/05/01 11:10 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I guess there's hope for us all!!! laugh

#40604 - 06/06/01 11:07 AM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
Easy. Marry a Spaniard.

Hmph! Hopefully you'll find (or fall in love with) one which actually believes in the institution of marriage. frown frown frown confused Shouldn't be TOO hard ... some people have more luck than others

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40605 - 06/06/01 04:26 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Remember too that it doesn't have to be a Spaniard – anyone from the European Union will do. That's a lot of people, so it shouldn't be a problem if you really set your heart on it. If you're in Madrid on June 13th there's even a special festival by which a Saint (Antonio de la Florida) will divinely intercede on your behalf and find you up to THREE novios for the coming year. So no excuses...

#40606 - 06/06/01 04:46 PM Re: Working/Moving to Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

That doesn't solve our leader's problem thou frown - you are just going to have to keep trying to persuade that lady, MM!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments