Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40519 - 03/22/01 01:55 PM What about people living outside of Spain with a Spanish passport?
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've done a search in this Forum, but came up with nothing regarding my situation... I have a dual citizenship (Canadian and Spanish) and have always wanted to go live in Spain. I studied Spanish literature, French (although I'm not absolutely fluent), and Tourism. My question: Is there a substantial amount of work in the tourism industry in Spain? If so, what are the qualifications most companies are looking for? Is German considered an important language to know in this industry? I also wouldn't mind teaching english on the side...
Any comments would be much appreciated!

SusiLaGallega

#40520 - 03/22/01 02:19 PM Re: What about people living outside of Spain with a Spanish passport?
connie Offline

The need for people with foreign language skills is the highest in the regions where the majority of foreigners go, thus Baleares, the Canary Islands, and the Mediterranean coast. There will probably be few possibilities on the North Coast because it is not a region for mass tourism of foreigners.
I have heard from a few persons who worked in holiday resorts as entertainers, sport instructors or service staff; the big holiday clubs usually hire persons with foreign language skills. If you know German, you might want to check for example http://www.robinson-club.de/ron/list_unterrubrik.hts?unterrubrik_id=19 I guess German would be a high asset especially in Mallorca.
If you do not want to live in the tourist regions, but in Madrid, I would think it might be easier for you to find a job teaching English-there is definitely a need of native English teachers and with the Spanish passport you do not have any problems to work there legally.

#40521 - 03/29/01 03:44 AM Re: What about people living outside of Spain with a Spanish passport?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
If you have a passport you can just go get the card and live here without any visas or nonsense at all. You are a citizen. Also, you can work in any country in the EU. Nice, eh?

There are many many Germans in Spain, and tourism is a big industry. Also English is a good skill to have.

[This message has been edited by Asterault (edited 03-29-2001).]

#40522 - 03/29/01 08:30 AM Re: What about people living outside of Spain with a Spanish passport?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Susi,

I think the best words to describe your situation is, "You have it made!" Since you can explore the avenues of language, have dual citizenship, and can bring North American English to Spain, you might consider brushing up on, or learning the language of business related to the stock market, etc. I say this because the need for people who can communicate in "Wall Street lingo" in multiple languages could lead to some interesting avenues for work, including the investment field, or with internet related businesses.

Did I mention I'm just a bit jealous of your background? If I haven't, I'm doing it now.

Wolf

#40523 - 03/29/01 09:14 AM Re: What about people living outside of Spain with a Spanish passport?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
<- green with envy

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3028 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments