Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#40493 - 03/23/01 09:32 AM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Antonio,

Thank you ... more great information. Can you provide examples of typical cryptography software so that I can evaluate if I might have something of that nature?

I don't think I do, but I do have a heck of alot of software, so you never know. Thanks again for all of your great information. EDR

#40494 - 03/23/01 09:42 AM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
edr Offline

I do have one more related question. A business partner of mine was concerned about the Internet DELAY from the U.S. to SPAIN.

We realize the signal most likely has to go up 42,000 miles into space to reach a satellite and than 42,000 miles back down.

Granted, while satellites are at the speed of light, we were wondering if there were any KNOWN substantial delays, like even up to 10 seconds or something like that?

Last night I sent Jeremy an email from Washington State to Madrid and I received his auto responder email all in less than 20 seconds. That's pretty darn fast and he hasn't even gotten his DSL yet (at least I think he stated that - it's on order).

However, with a server (or two) in SPAIN we are going to have actual users logging on to the physical machine from America, who rely on split second market information. So a delay any greater than 3 seconds might be detrimental to the reliability of our product.

Thanks again everyone for your time and information. Madrid Man you did a fine job creating this site! EDR

#40495 - 03/23/01 09:50 AM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
edr Offline

Allow me to clarify the last post.

If an American user has HIGH SPEED (DSL or FASTER) and I were to have the same in SPAIN, DSL or faster, if the American user was connected directly to my server via an IP Address what kind of delays are typical?

Anyone know? Thanks! EDR

#40496 - 03/23/01 01:15 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
EDR,

The problem can be in chips and in cryptographic usage in software. That's why there are seperate downloads of programs on the Internet for Europe, or anywhere else, than there is for the US.

Late last year, the computer technology people began petitioning the government to allow a broader band of applications to be allowed for export, and for people like us, to take with us overseas. The problem is, the goverment hasn't acted on it, and from what I have heard... will be tightening restrictions instead.

I guess the only way to insure that you don't violate the laws in regards to this issue is check out everything you can through government websites. I began checking myself and found that the laws that restrict us are found within the auspices of the GAO. http://www.gao.gov/ From there, it spreads into everything including NSA, and just about every other agency.

It's worth while checking... Just to be sure. Especially if you have valuable computers.

Another issue that I have heard. If you convert the 220vac systems in Spain to 110vac, you don't end up with what we really have here in the US. I was told that the life expectancy of components goes downhill in a hurry. That within a somewhat short period of time, you can expect your system to burn out. How true that is I don't know. I guess that's a question someone who has brought a computer from the US and used for an extensive period of time would have to answer. It might only be a problem if it's on for extended periods of time, or gawd knows what. Anyway... that's what I heard. Sorry it isn't better news.

Wolf

#40497 - 03/23/01 05:31 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi, just some bit on the power thing, electricity in the States is 110V and 60Hz of frequency, in Europe you would find 220v and 50Hz. That will make american appliances working on AC work out of their frequency design specifications. Specially engines working on AC will suffer much more than expected .

That is why they brake down before than designed. This doesn't affect to the appliances working in continuous electricity.

I think that the cryto export regulations affect mainly countries such as Iraq Lybia....But remember that the definition of encryption is relatively wide. For example , the 128bit encription systems of browser are considered advance crypto, thus under the scope of the limitation....Nevertheless I think that within the EU you are in the safe side.

Just one question, why shipping the computer when you can buy them here?

#40498 - 03/23/01 07:27 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Satellite?. No, I don't think your internet connection will travel by satellite. Your information will probably go through a super high capacity submarine cable (they recently installed a new one between Europe and America able to transmit data at 2.4 Terabits / second).

Obviously, you'll notice the delay even if both sides use ADSL connections. This would only ensure high speed connections between both computers and the respective routers to which they connect. From that point, your data will be routed through different systems around the world and they may have congestion.

I send some packets of information from my computer (in Madrid) to my Chelo server (in Pittsburgh) and a round trip took about 0.3 seconds (in both ways).

It depends a lot on the time of the day, the server you are connecting to, the ISP you're using... so, it's quite difficult to reply to your question.

If you partner wants to log in your server just to download files or something similar you shouldn't have any problems. However, if he wants to do some "real-time" operations such as editing files on the remote server he may notice a big delay.

By the way, having an fixed IP address doesn't mean someone can connect directly from one computer to another. In fact, the little test I did showed my packets passed through 15 different routers before reaching my computers.

As for the cryptography, Nativo gave you a good example of widely used software that use it. Internet browsers use encryption to cypher your date when connection to secure servers (mainly to transfer sensitive data such as credit cards details).

Although there are probably more restrictions to certain countries, I think some cryptography programs can't be exported anywhere if they use long keys. By the way, regulations about this subject are not the same within the EU. In France, for instance, they didn't even allow people to use PGP (a well-known application for encrypting e-mails). I don't know if they have change that regulations there.

Anyway, ask someone there in the US to see what are the restrictions on this matter.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#40499 - 03/23/01 09:40 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
edr Offline

Hey you folks are great! Thank you for the invaluable information and for the time!

Nativo,

No reason to purchase additional computers (especially expensive ones) in Spain, if I already own some that are already configured to my specs. Thus, the reason I'm considering shipping them. However, if I don't have a choice and/or if it wouldn't be wise then perhaps I won't.

I think it's the other way around though, US is 220V while Europe if 110V ???

Anyway, I've already checked and all of my machines are newer ones, and therefore, have 60hz and 50hz settings (red switch) on the back under the power cable. I think this would work fine, but from what I'm understanding, even appliances with this setting (when purchased in the US) typically burn out sooner when on the European Voltage, even if the machine was originally (supposedly) designed for both voltage systems?

Antonio,

While, I'm not sure about the satellite links or delivery between US and Spain, Internet is and can be broadcast via satellite. It's sent from one router through interface up to the sky and back down to other interface into local router on other end.

In terms of a direct IP, we connect to various machines all the time with static IP's via either PC Anywhere and/or Terminal server. We use SQL, IIS5.0, etc.

In regards to real-time, what we actually do is allow paying clients to log on to our servers through a proprietary custom interface that provides them with live automated signals, which they can rely on. The problem is, they need them quickly!

As long as the CLIENT side can receive the information from the server side (to America) in 3 seconds or less (typical) that would be great. My partner was concerned about CONSISTENT 10 second or greater delays (from Spain), which would not be good. Granted, there are always bottlenecks and days that are slower than others, but if the "typical" speed using dedicated high speed lines from Spain to America is relatively quick, then we might be ok.

Thanks again for all of your great information. You guys rock! EDR

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments