Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40483 - 03/19/01 08:04 PM High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
edr Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I am considering moving to Spain for 1-2 years.

My greatest concern is that I run an Internet Business (California Corporation) and I do not want that to suffer. Being Internet based, shouldn't be a problem, right? As long as I've got dedicated high speed access and a couple of my most powerful machines, I'm good to go.

I heard from a friend that there is no DSL in Europe but rather ISDN only and I heard it's rather expensive. Is this true and applicable to Spain? Anyone know the typical cost of high-speed access in Pesetas per month?

Does anyone know what import policies there might be in regards to shipping American computers to Spain (in other words, I'd want to bring a couple of my main servers with me). Is it a nightmare or reasonably feasible?

Anyone have experience moving their Internet business to Spain or at least running their American based Internet business from a remote location such as Spain/Europe? Thanks for your time! EDR

#40484 - 03/19/01 09:30 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hi EDR: Well, I live here in Madrid but have not moved my Internet business here. I do however work with the Internet and connections, etc... You have been misinformed as to the availablity of DSL in Europe, at least in Spain. Here in Madrid most areas have DSL and, although less available, cable connectivity. You can get DSL here btu there is usually a bit of a wait. The fastest I have known Telefónica to put the line in has been 2 weeks and the slowest 11 months (ouch!!!). The problem is that Telefónica is the only comp. that currently offers DSl. Madridtel ( www.madritel.com )offers cable but gives you a monthly traffic limit and charges per MEGA above that limit so it can get very expensive if you are sending and receiving large amounts of info. As for the prices, DSL costs 6,500 pts./month for unlimited access and the modem runs anothe 23,000 or so. So, it is not expensive at all.

Regarding your shipping your Servers over, unless they have a dual voltage switch on the power feeds, it may not be a great idea for here we are on 220V and there you use 110. I bought my PC here and it has a switch in the back for US voltage but I doubt the US PC manufacturers are so accomodating. You can of course use voltage adapters but I personally would not risk such expensive equipment to one of those, no matter how good.

So, hope I have helped. If you want to know anything else, just e-mail me.

Take care, Jeremy...

------------------
Hola all, for the últimate in virtual Madrid tourism check out my web at www.multimadrid.com - Madrid: videos, photos, screensavers, Real streams and the Live Plaza Mayor WebCam!
Yes, it has arrived!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-19-2001).]

#40485 - 03/19/01 09:53 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
edr Offline

Jeremy,

This is excellent information! Thank you so much! The DSL matter was Muy Importante!

Would you consider your unlimited dedicated DSL reliable? Does it go down alot? What typical speeds do you get uploading and downloading (same as America), i.e, 384kbps download, 128kbps upload (at min)?

Last but not least, do you think all major cities in Spain have this new DSL accommodation or just the larger Madrid?

Perhaps, if Telefonica is the main phone company in Spain they may either know of or be able to refer me to the appropriate companies concerning DSL issues in Barcelona and perhaps Seville/Granada?

Actually, thanks to you, I found the Telefonica web site, so now I can continue correspondence with them on the DSL issue.

Muchas Gracias por su ayuda!

Have a great evening! EDR

#40486 - 03/20/01 01:34 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
rhonda Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Jeremy....hmmmm....rings a bell... i bet you are the guy with the ads in InMadrid....am i right?!?!?!? could you tell us about this "Internet for Free" stuff that you have in those ads....i'd love to know what that is all about?!?!?! Venga, i'd love to hear about it!
Saludos,
Rhonda

#40487 - 03/20/01 05:31 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Most things Jeremy said were right, but I'd like to make a few points.

First, what we have here in Spain is ADSL which is part of a group of different technologies known as xDSL (ADSL, VDSL...). ADSL stands for Asymetric Digital Subscriber Line. Asymetric means that you get different speeds up and down. The standard speeds you get are:

* 256 / 128 Kbps
* 512 / 128 Kbps
* 2 Mbps / 300 Kbps

These speeds seem quite reasonable. However, your ISP is only enforced by law to provide 10% of the maximum bandwidth. Not surprisingly, this is precisely what most people get. That is, you only get:

* 25.6 / 12.8 Kbps
* 51.2 / 12.8 Kbps
* 200 / 30.0 Kbps

Check out prices here .

Note that speed depends on a number of parameters. One of them is the distance from your house / office to the nearest telephone switch (not sure about this term). The longer the distance the slower speed you get. One of the drawbacks of the ADSL technology is that your ADSL modem can't be very far from that point.

And then, once you're connected to that switch, Telefónica diverts the traffic to your ISP lines. The speed of your connection depends also on how many users and lines your ISP has.

As for the reliability of a ADSL line, well it depends. I guess it's a matter of luck. Some people are very pleased with it whereas some others have suffered cut offs in their connections for hours or even days (check out the ADSL do not work site).

Regarding the cable and as Jeremy said, Madritel doesn't have a good offer for unlimited connection so I wouldn't take it. Other parts of Spain have different cable operators but I haven't heard of any unlimited, reliable and cheap connection.

#40488 - 03/22/01 07:43 AM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
Hi,
Your DSL question was already answered (I have the telefonica service and I LOVE it--won't ever go back, and its not expensive at all when you consider that you ALWAYS pay local phone charges to connect otherwise. I'm actually saving lots of money, and I can play all day!! )

But we brought our one desktop computer to spain with us from the US when we moved here. But we brought it as excess baggage. It would have been much more expensive to ship it, because we didn't want to send it by ship (8 weeks, like a lot of our other stuff, and yes, it took exactly 8 weeks) Check with your airline about "cargo" too, which they told us would be cheaper for our excess baggage, but then actually wasn't, but I don't remember exactly why..weight, or something.

Oh, and our computer works perfectly fine here, it takes both kinds of power. Our monitor, on the other hand, SAID that it took both, but it blew within a few weeks. Luckily it was still under warantee, but they weren't happy about it and said don't use it here again. (But, it said RIGHT ON THE BACK that it was 110/220--so it was their error!!) So we've been making due with a tiny 14 inch monitor that we bought here while the other was being replaced, but now we're not bringing it back over here anyways, ....

As for entering with your computers, the customs officials eyes lighted right up when we walked in with our big computer boxes...Make sure you bring any receipts of sales that you have with you. We didn't, as it was just our household stuff and we didn't really know or think about it. They gave us a hassle but "let" us pay about $100 in customs fees. But you might want to register at the embassy before you go and have them certify your things are pre-owned by you (ie, you're not importing them to resell, etc) and will be leaving with you when you go. I assume you'll be legally entering Spain with a proper visa of some kind--they just won't believe you're a tourist for 3 months with high speed servers with you!!

You may have to buy new adapter cables for hte computers to plug them in. Bring the European-style adapter plugs with you--much easier to get something in the US where you can explain better what you need, and they're really hard to find here. We bought new speakers and printer because of the power issues.

HTH! Good luck, and keep in touch! I do web programming part time here (freelance, in Barcelona, but I'm moving to Madrid in August), and I'd love to get a few extra hours somewhere if you ever need any help!

#40489 - 03/22/01 08:32 AM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
As I recall, there's questions about chips that are in computers? Aren't there some that are illegal to take out of the US?

I wonder if that is an issue... or not:

Wolf

#40490 - 03/22/01 11:43 PM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
edr Offline

Antonio,

Thank you very much for the detailed ADSL information. This is great! Apreciate the time. I guess Telefonica is definitely the way to go for DSL.

kbc123,

I'm glad you like your DSL (makes me a bit more comfortable) and thanks for the shipping information. Yes, 8 weeks would be too long for me. I guess I'd pay for the extra plane baggage.

Wolfgang81,

You have a good point. One of my computers is a Gateway Laptop, and when I purchased it, they asked me if I wanted to take it out of the country and I said, "perhaps, to travel." They said, I then had to purchase from the International department, which I did.

However, there is no difference in the hardware or software. The only thing I received differently was a special document (receipt) that I might have to show a customs agent that states that it is an international computer. In addition, I get special shipping privileges for parts in the event that I'm in another country if it breaks down.

So, I'm not sure why they have a different department, other than the afore-mentioned, because I know that the hardware and software are NO different?

You might be right though, I don't really know. Where did you hear this, any web sites or other documentation I can research on this one that you know of?

Thanks! EDR

#40491 - 03/23/01 06:21 AM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
You can't take the chips to places like Libya or Syria. Spain is not on the US 'naughty list' so I wouldn't worry about it.

#40492 - 03/23/01 09:27 AM Re: High Speed Internet Access and Shipping Computers from USA
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Be aware of cryptography software. It is considered to be like a "weapon" so there are restrictions as to what can be exported outside the US.

However, I read something about the RSA algorithm patent having expired a few months ago (RSA algorithms is used in the PGP software).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments