Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#40470 - 03/19/01 07:35 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
connie Offline

Border controls in Spain might have become stricter, too. I have heard that after the new Ley de Extranjeria has entered into force, it is more difficult for non-EU foreigners to work in Spain.
I would take a roundtrip ticket in any case- it is not worth to take the risk, and one way is hardly ever cheaper than a good deal for a roundtrip ticket anyway.

#40471 - 03/24/01 05:32 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I have found another website (sees to be good) concerning cheap airline fairs. Airtech.com. As long as you are flexible with departure dates, you can recieve big discounts. I think I am going to go with the one way ticket to Spain. Even though my classes go on in Barcelona for only 90 days, I'm hoping I won't have a problem with customs. If worse comes to worse, I can use the same approach to return to the States, even though I plan on staying and working in Spain without papers after 90 days. If I must leave the country, I could just hop up to France, and then return to Spain. Am I being too naive regarding this whole visa process?

#40472 - 03/24/01 08:30 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
nevado Offline

Hopping to France will do you no good. You must leave the EU if you're looking for a stamp.

#40473 - 03/24/01 08:54 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

Oh - how about portugal? Is there a certain amount of time you must leave for?

#40474 - 03/26/01 03:10 AM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
You have to go to Marocco for a stamp. Portugal and France are both EU members. You can try Switzerland too but when I went they didn't even look at my passport. It was raining and Mr. Policeman did not want to leave his little hut.

#40475 - 03/28/01 06:49 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

I think Morrocco will turn into one of my best friends. (I believe this post will earn me a coveted 'flaming folder' - I hope so

#40476 - 04/05/01 06:30 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Flamenco01 Offline

Also, if you don't want to go all the way to Morocco, you can go to Andorra, it's much closer.

#40477 - 04/12/01 11:54 AM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
I bought a stand-by voucher with Airhitch which sounds similar to what you bought through Airtech, Jason, but a word of warning, sometimes companies drop Airhitch and no longer accept the vouchers. This happened to me and I had to turn in my vouchers plus some extra cash to trade them for a ticket. Also, I just bought a cell phone (one with a card, not a contract) for 10.000 pstas. I receive calls from anywhere free and they give you a card worth 4.000 pstas with your purchase. Much cheaper than the US... Anyway, good luck. laugh

#40478 - 04/12/01 12:14 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

I actually bought my plane ticket through student council travel/ round trip from Boston to Barcelona for 740$. I am able to change the date on the back end for only 25$ so this seems like a pretty good deal - I have one layover in Belgium. I decided to bypass the uncertainty of Airhitch.

#40479 - 04/19/01 12:50 PM Re: american in Spain (working illegally)
kerry Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Back to the insurance thing- I lived in Spain on a tourist visa for 6 months and would have stayed longer if I didn't nearly get deported. I got private health insurance which is the same as it is in the USA- the company was called Sanitas. It costs 20,000 ptas every 3 months but they may have other types of coverage. You can also get travel insurance in the USA which will cover you in case of an emergency. I didn't have any trouble renting an apartment, and my boss hooked me up with a bank account.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments