Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4047 - 04/17/02 08:57 AM Burgos Hotel and megaliths
HannibalMO Offline

Loc: Hannibal, MO
My husband and I are renting a car from Madrid in October and plan to travel to Burgos (among some other towns along the way)But in doing a search, there have been no hotels recommended for Burgos. I have seen the website for the $130/night Meson del Cid, but we would like something under $100. Also we plan to see the megalithic sites that are supposed to be near Burgos. I found a website devoted to Spanish megaliths, and a gentleman kindly e-mailed back a map, if we can figure it out. Has anyone been to any of these pre-historic stone sites (similiar to Stonehenge)?

#4048 - 04/17/02 09:50 AM Re: Burgos Hotel and megaliths
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi there

Last year we booked a hotel in Burgos through Octopus Travel I think it worked out at about £50 for a double room per night. It was called Corona de Castilla Corona de Castilla . It had a wonderful marble bathroom, and a great help yourself breakfast.

We only stayed one night, but it was very nice. Lots of original paintings on the walls, an an interesting Art Deco style stained glass window on the main stair area.

There was secure parking under the hotel itself (extra).

We walked from the hotel into Burgos centre and up to the castle and round all the back streets.

I'll double check on that URL for Octopus Travel for you and change it if necessary.

Sorry, don't know anything about monoliths though!

Jo

I've just changed the Octopus Travel URL, it should be OK now, and the price is $84 per night in October.

(Do I get a helpful reward Antonio?)

#4049 - 04/17/02 12:47 PM Re: Burgos Hotel and megaliths
HannibalMO Offline

Loc: Hannibal, MO
Thank you for the info. However, when I tried to connect to the two websites, I got the "page cannot be displayed" notice. Sounds like a nice hotel at a good price. Are you sure the URL is correct?

#4050 - 04/17/02 01:45 PM Re: Burgos Hotel and megaliths
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi Hannibal MO

I've just checked the URLs again. I clicked on them as they are in the post, and both worked. (Although they both took me to the same page instead of slightly different ones - I know Antonio, I should have opened up two separate browser windows shouldn't I? ) ).

Try doing a normal search for Octopus Travel and take it from there. They were very efficient. Also the confirmation was immediate and online.

Try some variations on this: http://www.octopus4easyjet.com/cgi-bin/otarequest.pgm/

I've just checked the URL directly above and it definitely works, so use this one smile

Good luck.

Jo

#4051 - 04/17/02 02:04 PM Re: Burgos Hotel and megaliths
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
In '99 we stayed at the reasonably-priced, and fairly centrally-located "Hotel España". It's all euro with hardwood floors, no frills, and a cheap price. Two-stars, about 200m from the cathedral. It was showing its age (looked a little 70's-ish, but apparently has been around since 1937)...but was fine for our needs (even though my wife complained that she should've been involved in the selection process!)

Frommers has this information on the hotel:

Hotel España

Contact Information
Paseo del Espolón, 32, Burgos, 09003 Phone 947-20-63-40 Fax 947-20-13-30

Size: 69 units Extras: TV TEL; Prices: 9,000 ptas. ($54) double; 11,500 ptas. ($69) triple Credit Cards: MC, V

The best budget choice in town is a 5-minute walk southeast of the cathedral and a block south of Plaza Mayor on a leafy promenade filled with sidewalk cafes and Castilians taking early evening strolls. The small guest rooms lack style and imagination but are completely comfortable nonetheless, with good beds and tidy bathrooms. The management is helpful to visitors. When the España is full, they have been known to call around to other hostelries for stranded tourists.

#4052 - 08/10/03 08:49 AM Re: Burgos Hotel and megaliths
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
We recently stayed at
Hotel Mesón del Cid in Burgos on June 28. It was such a wonderful place to stay. Our windows overlooked the magnificent cathedral and we were able to watch the world go by ( and since it was a Saturday we saw a few weddings too!). It happened to be fiesta time for Burgos: Los sampedros, so the town was so alive!! We saw dancers as we sat in a cafe, we were able to see the parade of Gigantes y Cabezudos, and the fireworks at midnight!. Although it was an expensive hotel, it was certainly memorable to go to sleep while gazing at the facade of the illuminated cathedral.

We also went all out and had dinner there too. What a meal! There was a wonderful salad ( which was adorned with kiwi!) and I had merluza con almejas (yum!), my husband had solomillo and my girls had ternera con patatas. Dessert was so unusual too: Arroz con leche dos texturas rice pudding with a leche merengada smile topping and krispy rice throughout. Very different and very delicious. My husband had leche frita and my daughters had a bizcocho de chololate con naranja ( really good!) and a selection of home made ice creams laugh

In short, if you are looking for a special place to stay...I think you will be happy at the Mesón del Cid.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments