Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#40434 - 03/13/01 05:50 PM salaries
pixel_grrl Offline

Loc: Vancouver Canada
i did a search and didn't seem to find anything so i hope i didn't miss a conversation on this topic.... but anyway....i am a web designer from canada and have about 4 years of experience..... i have been talking with a few web companies in spain...however i have no idea what to expect in terms of salary.... whats the cost of living there? i want to live comfortably and i realise things are cheaper there.... but i don't know what is reasonable.... anyone have any info on what a web designer in Barcelona or Madrid makes? know of any resources for finding this stuff out?

any help would be great!

thanks!

pix

#40435 - 03/13/01 08:11 PM Re: salaries
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
How many years of experience do you have? I would guess with good experience you could get 2-3 million. You won't make US money but the cost of living is lower. Actually I make out better here overall than in the US as far as lifestyle and expenses. Check out www.infojobs.es and they list salaries sometimes.

#40436 - 03/14/01 02:15 PM Re: salaries
pixel_grrl Offline

i have about 4 years of expericence and have done work for some pretty big named clients.... Nike... Nintendo... Atlantic Records....

how did you make out as far as interviewing for a job? were you in spain already? or were you negociating from the US?

#40437 - 03/17/01 02:05 PM Re: salaries
Asterault Offline

The interviewing is pretty much the same, I have been on a couple. I think if you can spend a couple months here looking you will find something without much difficulty. Note that Madrid is more active with internet companies than Barcelona.

#40438 - 03/19/01 01:46 PM Re: salaries
connie Offline

The cost of living is lower, for sure, but 2 or 3 million a year is not terribly much money in Madrid or Barcelona, especially if you want to have a flat on your own and want to have a comfortable life. For Spanish salaries, Madrid and Barcelona do not belong to the cheap cities. After the deduction of taxes and social security such an amount will allow you to make a living, but you won't have much money left.
I would have thought that people with experience in the internet business can make more? This sum is definitely just a fraction of what you can get in other European countries.

#40439 - 03/19/01 01:52 PM Re: salaries
Asterault Offline

Foreigners can usally push their way into higher salaries. However Spain is not as wealthy as France or the UK and has lower incomes in general.

#40440 - 03/19/01 05:06 PM Re: salaries
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I agree than 2-3 million is not much if you are not a student any longer, but I also think that 4 years of solid experience in reference customers are paid much higher these days. There is a kind of shortage of skilled e-business people.

Language knowledge will be a must. Currently the trend is combining in teams the technical knowledge, the creativity and communication skills of the artists and the business reengineering of the consultans. My advice will be going through american companies also established in Spain (proxicom, siebel, you name it)

#40441 - 03/20/01 12:50 PM Re: salaries
pixel_grrl Offline

thanks for the advice guys... kind of all the things i've been thinking...

right now i am torn between what to do about finding a job.... on one had it'll be easier to get if i'm there.... but on the other i have to apply for my visa in canada.... i can't afford to make the trip twice....

has anyone done this before? given up a good job.... to try you luck at it? or is it better to try and find work while still in canada...

#40442 - 03/20/01 01:07 PM Re: salaries
connie Offline

You may want to check this thread: http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000007.html
If I were you, I would not give up a good job for an entirely uncertain situation, but try and look while continuing to work in Canada until you have found out something good-unless you want to be in Spain at all price. But if a comfortable life and a smart career choice is important for you, too, I would check out the situation further before I would go.

#40443 - 03/20/01 03:10 PM Re: salaries
pixel_grrl Offline

thanks connie... thats kind of what i have been thinking.... trying to get a job before i go... but it's proving to be difficult... one company wont even consider me unless i come to spain for an interview.... has anyone had any experience finding a job while not in spain?

i read that threat a while ago... thanks though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments