Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40343 - 11/06/00 09:33 PM relocating to Spain from USA, help!
lisa777 Offline

Loc: new york, ny, u.s.a
Hi, my name is Lisa and my friend and i are planning on moving to Spain in February. We both speak some Spanish, although not fluently yet, but think we can pick it up easily once we're there. However, we don't know a soul or have any idea how to go about securing a place to live or job. Basically we're saving up some money over the next 4 months, quitting our jobs and getting on a plane! Does anyone know of a website we could go to that would maybe have an apartment listing or job listing for Madrid? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Email: lisa_martin@ada-music.com

#40344 - 11/06/00 10:21 PM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello lisa777! Thanks for your posting. I see from your profile that you're from/in New York City, USA. My sister lived in Chelsea for 2 years and recently moved to London.

I/we can certainly admire your bravery to "just do it". But first, I STRONGLY suggest you expand this forum to "SHOW ALL TOPICS", read them ALL, and then you'll have a better idea of what you're up against. And believe me/us, you're up against a BIG wall. Prepare yourself. A job listing for Madrid really doesn't exist except for technical professionals with experience. In this forum you'll also read about the requirements/limitations of living in Spain for extended periods of time. It's nearly all right here. You only have to read them and then....I have a feeling, you'll change your minds and just go to Spain on vacation.

I do understand, however, that there's a telemarketing company willing to hire "illegals" who speak no Spanish.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40345 - 11/07/00 02:55 AM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
lisa:

there are a couple of us here that are off to madrid to live in january. the first bit of advice i would give for preparing yourself would be to cover all that you should and should not expect. as madridman mentioned, living in spain for an extended period of time is wrought by endless restrictions. as non-eu citizens we are very much at a loss in terms of finding legal work. illegal jobs will be difficult to find and will take quite a bit of work to get ahold of. illegal jobs usually mean teaching or tutoring english in some capacity.

there is an excellent web site hosted by tracy moral in which she goes into great depth about how to go about finding legal/illegal work. she gives you some guidelines as well as explains all the paperwork you need to be legal. you can contact her via e-mail from her site.

as for living arrangements, you will be able to find something with quite a bit of work. the website segundmano has listings of availabilities.

one thing you need to remember is that going over will not be an easy free-for-all in terms of finding work. if teaching english is something that appeals to you, do realize that its not something that you can jump into and half hearted. you'll have to devote the majority of your time and effort working on what you're teaching. secondly, the hours will be rough and the pay spotty.

which city will you be moving to? what type of work are you interested in?

i e-mailed to you the links to tracy's and segundamano's pages.

#40346 - 11/07/00 09:58 AM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Nicholeye, Please post Tracy's link - would make for interesting reading and referrals - thanks!

#40347 - 11/07/00 10:39 AM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho

#40348 - 11/07/00 12:28 PM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
as nicholeye said there are few of us that are moving to spain in january, i being one of them. I have applied to the International House of Madrid academy to be CELTA certified, and then work as a english teacher. I will be looking for a place before I leave and if I can't find anything i will continue to look when i get there. I will be moving to San Lorenzo de El Escorial, a small town outside of Madrid that i am VERY familiar with so i am already in contact with some of the rental offices there that are going to try to see what they come up with. So hopeully it all works out. Though i say "hey man go for it get on that plane and do it" just plan for the worst cause it might happen, he,he,he....... good luck.. and think if it doesn't work out you can always go back home and start again......

adios

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

#40349 - 11/07/00 01:40 PM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Where is Tracy Moral?? She used to be a "regular" in this forum waaaay back in the early days of this message board. I understand she has a new baby and is busy with other things as well. How sad. First we lose Tracy and then her sister-in-law Nuria too!! I miss them!

At least we'll always have Tracy's wonderful and useful website to help those wishing to improve their chances of finding/seeking work in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40350 - 11/07/00 01:49 PM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
actually she must be really busy cause she hasn't answered any e-mails from me for months, i mean like 5 months, so she must be tied up. Her site also hsn't been updated in months as well. i can't wait for her to return, i miss her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98

#40351 - 11/07/00 04:08 PM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Lisa,

I too tried the work in Spain thing. The restrictions have eased somewhat in the past year or two, but as many have mentioned, they are still there in all their glory.

My experience was in 1993 when I went to teach English. Since I am a credentialed teacher, I felt it would be a good experience. I "interviewed" at 6-7 academies in Bilbao, with Spanish friends "vouching" for me, etc. and no bites. When I visited those same friends last year, they spilled the beans and told me that the best academy on the list called about a week after I left Spain and offered me a position. Moral: as others have said, expect the worst.

It's my understanding that you can work in Spain, under restructured law, if you have a sponsor who has offered you a bona fide contract. Without it, you are considered the same as a marroquí who just floated over the Mediterranean to Cadiz...illegal.

Hate to be so negative, but the reality is just that.

#40352 - 11/07/00 05:51 PM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I wonder if there is a way that you could do it legally. I went to France with CIEE after college. It was a work exchange. there was no guarantee that I would find work - I was totally on my own in that regard-, but at least I was allowed legal permission to work for three months.

You are about to make a big leap. For me, going to France was like that. In a lot of ways, it turned out to be a reeeeeeally bad experience. Nonetheless, the most important thing for me was that I went ahead and took the risk instead of sitting around regretting not having done it for the rest of my life. A lot of good things came out of that in the long run.

But, I would suggest a strong back up plan, a credit card that isn't maxed out and a good sense of humor.

#40353 - 11/07/00 06:31 PM Re: relocating to Spain from USA, help!
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
madridamn, i sencond that one. i really miss tracy and nuria as well. did we ever find out what happned to nuria? tracy has to be terribly busy. like missmadrid, no answers to e-mails in months. i've written to her off and on over the last few months. the last time i heard from her was the end of june!!!!! i have seen her on the very rare occasion answering posts off of her mailing list.

but hey, we all have to be happy for her and her new role as a mother. a great new time in her life.

tracy and nuria...wherever you are. best of luck to you two. thanks so much for everything!! =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments