Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40313 - 09/20/00 09:07 AM work in Spain
Elina Offline

Loc: Lohja/Finland
Hi everyone!
I don't know if I'm doing you people a favour by telling this, but anyway...
There is a telemarketing company in Madrid and Barcelona always looking for new English speeking young people to work for them. They sell stocks and are dealing with Europe and some other parts of the world.

No experience required whatsoever, there's free places most of the time as people are coming in and out. They pay you 20 000PTS every Friday plus bonuses, depending on your clients.
Most young people coming to Spain with no Spanish skills find this place a good start and definitely a good way to support their living. The job can get pretty exhausting, sometimes but usually at that point people leave and find something else to do.
I used to work there, I know people who still are working there and find it quite okay, at least for a short term.
Well, here's the phone numbers:

The office in Madrid: 91 571 0477
The office in Barcelona: 93 444 9900

Good luck!

#40314 - 09/20/00 10:25 AM Re: work in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Elina! So....what's the name of this company? And do they provide work visas for those who need them? Group, be advised that 20,000pesetas comes out to be $102 US Dollars. And this is every Friday? That's only about $400/month. I can't imagine surviving on that little anywhere in Spain, ESPECIALLY in the higher cost-of-living cities like Madrid & Barcelona. But maybe if these "bonuses" are significant... I would be conservative with the hope for such bonuses.
Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 09-20-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40315 - 09/21/00 07:43 AM Re: work in Spain
Elina Offline

Loc: Lohja/Finland
Hi MadridMan,
I was just trying to help. It is nearly impossible for young people with no specific education yet and speshlee with no command of Spanish language to find a job in Madrid and you know there's hell of a lot people like that out there!
I'm a student myself, i don't have enaugh finances or rich parents to help me out. I wanted to spend some time in Spain and when I had to choose between being an Au Pair in a Spanish family (which is a pain in the ass) and working for this telemarketing company, I found the last option being the best one! Yes, you can support yourself with this money even if you choose to live in a hostal! Remember, I've been there! i was sharing a nice apartment with 3 girls and we managed just fine.
They don't ask for any papers and obviously do not provide you with a visa, this job is for wild travellers. you'll find the name of the company just simply by phoning them up.
It's not like I'm forcing anyone...

#40316 - 09/21/00 09:52 AM Re: work in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is great additional information, Elina. Thank you. So....again, what's the name of this company?? We have to phone them in order to get the name? Could you please tell us?

As for being able to surive by living in a hostal on $400/month, this would make the hostal charge about $13/day. I think the youth-hostels charge about this much, but not los hostales (about $20/day without in-room bathroom). And then, this takes all your monthly income with nothing left for food or anything else.

You bring up an excellent point. For those who are already living there, who are sharing an apartment with several others, or for those whose parents are supporting them and the children are using this part-time job as a way to make extra money this is great. In fact, STUDENTS could take a job like this; someone who already lives in Madrid/Barcelona and want to earn cash under-the-table. I know a lot of people are tyring to do this and is a booming business in Spain.

I agree with your statement "..., this job is for wild travellers." and would be perfect for someone just passing through, work this job for a few days or weeks, make enough money for transportation to keep going. Many people travel in this way and I admire them and they learn a lot about the country where they're staying/working.

Again, thanks for the info, but the name of the company would be nice to have. I'm always unsure of the reputation of a company who wants to keep their name anonymous.

Question: During what hours are these phone numbers answered? I may just call them myself in the morning to get the name.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40317 - 09/21/00 03:11 PM Re: work in Spain
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
MM, Santa Cruz de Marcenado youth hostel only allow people to stay for 3 days. They are always full and it wouldn't be fair to leave someone take advantage of their cheap prices and tell the rest of the people to look for another place.

Youth-hostels are so cheap because they are subsidize by the government. Furthermore, you won't usually get a private room / bathroom. You share big dormitories with other people. That makes the difference between what we charge at hostels and what they charge at youth-hostels.

But if you plan to stay in Madrid for a long period (more than 1 month), the cheapest option is to rent a flat/apartment.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1598 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments