MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#40270 - 08/19/00 12:15 AM Re: Starting a business in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Oh, one more thing --

The paella from TelePaella is good - almost as good as mine! The way I see it, if this is the way to keep busy Spaniards eating good Spanish food instead of junky imports, I'm all for it!

(Did you know they even have a place called Telepiensos, which delivers dog food? We became friends with the young Spanish couple who started it. Now THAT was a great idea!!)

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 08-19-2000).]

#40271 - 08/19/00 07:58 PM Re: Starting a business in Spain
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Lots of things to say about food business in Madrid / Spain:

Dunkin' Donuts was very successful at the begining. There were lots of people waiting to buy donuts. Now, very few people go there.

As for cybercafes, there are alreadt lots of them. Two big new ones (250 PCs) are coming up offering high speed connection. It isn't a good business at all.

There are also shops selling books and stuff for ex-pats. And I don't think there are enough americans/brits in Madrid to success. In fact, The Broadsheet tried to sell its magazine for "only" 400 pesetas. But then, I think they have stopped doing that.

Place to meet other American/brits?. Well, there are plenty of Irish pubs in Madrid.

Madridman,

Tele-Pizza has nothing to do with Tele-Paella. In fact, it is an amazing business. Fast food has never been very successful in Spain. [We only go there when where are tired of going to other places]. However, Tele-Pizza founder is a Cuban who came to Madrid and, after several years, now he has branches in 9 European countries and has even taken over Pizza World and another chain (I don't remember the name now).

There are lots of Tele- whatever you may think. Tele-Cordero (Tele-lamb), Tele-pollo (Tele-roast chicket), Tele-botellón (they bring you drinks for your parties), Tele-chinesse food....

Only foreing tourists go to Hard Rock Café. I've never been there but my friends have told me it's really expensive and the food is not so wonderful. Wendy's went out of business quite a long time ago.

Diana has given the best answer about starting a food business in Spain:

Quote:
Spanish food is SO GOOD (the BEST in the world), you have to have something that is REALLY good to win their approval

You may attract people at the begining (as Dunkin Donuts did). But if you don't offer extremely good food and prices, you won't success in your restaurant.

A good idea was Aerocity. They copied from the US. So find something interesting there that it isn't yet here. I think this is the way to go.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#40272 - 08/22/00 12:52 PM Re: Starting a business in Spain
yankee Offline

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
I appreciate the help so far.
I am a little disappointed that you believe American culture is all plastic and fake. I would like to have samples of as many varied cultures as possible where I live. That is one of the reasons people like London and New York so much.
Based on what I have read so far, the restaurant idea is out. Are there large university campuses with places in surrounding areas for students to hang out in a casual environment?

#40273 - 08/22/00 02:09 PM Re: Starting a business in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Hey, Diana:
You mustn't have looked very hard or asked the right people (in '83 when you couldn't find a Pizza in Madrid): Alduccio's started out in Torrejon de Ardoz where he made Pizza for the USAF airmen based nearby. He moved into Madrid and opened his first Italian Restaurant just south of Estadio Bernabeu. I am told thay he now has several Italian restaurants in Madrid and they all serve Pizza (not just Pizza). Alduccio's Pizzas are much more of a meal than Pizza Hut's or most of the American fast food products.

Yankee:
25-years old and tired of the Corporate rat race? Wow! If you had said: "25-years in Corporate America," or something like that, I might understand but at age-25 you haven't really gotten into it - unless, of course you made your several million dollars in the 'Market' already.

Maybe you are a day late and a dollar short: Irish Pubs have taken your target customer base.
There might be a market niche for something like a Daves & Busters (I don't know if they are in Europe or in Spain yet). My wife's nephew loved it when he visited us in Phila last year (the theater where the seats move like you are in the car race and the Virtual Reality - that might require a considerable Investment). The wild wild west theme also still has much popularity in Spain. That might be another idea.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 08-22-2000).]

#40274 - 08/23/00 03:42 PM Re: Starting a business in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Eddie!

I'm sure you're right about me on both accounts - I wasn't looking very hard for pizza, and I know I didn't know the right people! Back in '83 I relied on my student-sister for all my info, since she spoke Spanish and I didn't (yet). I was also living (happily) on $200 a month in Madrid, and rarely ate out. Once I moved into an apartment with all Spaniards, I forgot all about "American" food!

The day after posting my previous message I happened to pick up the 1982/83 edition of "Bear Facts about Madrid," a services and shopping guide published by the American Women's Club of Madrid. I got it second hand when an American left Spain, years later, but I never really used it. In it I found that back then there were several "American" restaurants around Madrid, including Bar el Descanso and Rancho Texano out toward Torrejon, Helen's, on Castellana, and Foster's had already opened. I never visited any of the places frequented by US servicemen, as they tended to be outside of the city to the east, close to the air base. I don't know if they're still there, but their American customers aren't, so they may not be. I remember hearing about Helen's baked goods, but I don't think she's around any more. (There was a store a few years ago called Taste of America on Castellana, which sells foodstuffs from the States that you can't get anywhere else in Madrid.) I never heard of Alduccio's, but I know there are some very nice Italian restaurants in Madrid. I guess if you want to open a specialty place, be sure you have the customers, and that they'll stay!

#40275 - 08/23/00 05:32 PM Re: Starting a business in Spain
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
Ahhhh, El Descanso, (The Rib House) They had the best ribs, and the atmosphere was very light. I often wondered if it was still there.....

#40276 - 08/25/00 12:52 PM Re: Starting a business in Spain
Sean Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY USA
This is a great thread! I saw it for the first time this morning, right after I had the same thought. What if someone inherited a whole lot of money and wanted to maybe purchase a business that has already established itself. (I found this great little hangout in getafe, near the university called The Library.) Does anyone know the first step to take? I would assume one would contact the Spain embassy here in the states to begin with. Does anyone know any of the specific laws regarding foreigners purchasing property in Spain? There would be no problem with proving financial independence. Could use some serious advice on this. Thanks

#40277 - 11/18/00 12:50 AM Re: Starting a business in Spain
Mexicorobert Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK, USA
YANKEE.....

I don't know if you are still around, but I read your earlier post and I know what you mean.

I too am 25 an quit the "rat race" about a year ago. I am currently living in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, but am moving to Spain in March for about 6 months. I am considering several opportunities for a new business and would like to hear your ideas. If you are still around, drop me a line at:

rfrye@pvnet.com.mx

------------------

#40278 - 11/20/00 01:10 PM Re: Starting a business in Spain
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Yankee,

I came across a brochure from the Chamber of Commerce of Madrid or Spain. I am not sure whether it is Spain or Madrid. One thing I notice several companies from Spain are looking for an agent to distribute or sell their products to the U.S. or vice versa, looking for products from U.S. to distribute or sell in Spain.

How is your Spanish? Understanding the language helps when you have your business.

Good luck.

#40279 - 11/21/00 12:57 AM Re: Starting a business in Spain
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
mcclarke, could you give me the name of the companies or where i need to contact for that brochure regarding import/export? My madrileño husband is in this business with Mexico and as soon as he graduates from the university, next year, we are interested in exporting products from Spain. Any leads would be appreciated, if only to show my husband my support and interest(he may already have his own leads).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments